Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 11:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Training Camp  (Read 2856 times)
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jul 07, 2013 at 16:10 »

Not sure if I'll get there this year.  If anyone else is going, let me know and I may join.

Looking forward to the RB competition.  Bell is the most likely rookie to see significant playing time early in the season.  Redman and Dwyer for one spot.  I have no idea what the staff see in Batch but I guess he'll stick as they like him in pass pro (but there have to be other guys who can pass pro and more).

My guess is injuries hit our OL again this year.  I have no faith in Gilbert at LT.  Either health or lack of effort/want-to.  Would like to have had Starks back and let Gilbert come in as the backup and if things have changed, have him battle for a starting position at some point.  Foster and Decastro at guard is a nice way to come in to the season. 

I hope Sanders is playing for his 2014 contract (I don't think he'll be with us in 2014).  I remember the challenges Holmes and Wallace had their rookie years and I'm not sure Wheaton is as talented.  I don't expect much for him.  I hope Burress is kept as the #4 WR.  steelersdepot did a writeup on Cotchery's high catch % on 3rd down but it is going to be a big adjustment for this group w/o Wallace.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2013 at 09:51 »

Not sure if we're going, most likely would go on a crowded Saturday if we did.

It's a very difficult team to read at this point.  We're definitely in a flux year.  I think the OL will be better than people expect, partly because the increased use of ZBS will make our guys less of sitting targets.  That should help some.  OT depth and Gilbert's weak-assedness are top concerns.  DDC should have a nice showing.  Some interesting bubble prospects like Embernate.

Worilds v. Jarvis, not sure how that plays out.  The DL is a big question.  Mack needs to have a big year, and Hood and Heyward need to own it. 

Agree on the RBs.  I think Bell starts, Redman is his primary backup, and LaRod is the KR/COP speed guy.  If they were looking to deal Dwyer as rumored, don't be surprised if he gets traded for a late rounder once injuries pile up.  He's also insurance for our injury sitch.  Batch is a really good character guy, don't see much else.

Sanders and Brown can be a dangerous tandem.  Don't drop the ball so fucking much, is a start.  Wheaton will get worked in late in the season, but I think he can be a really nice addition.  Don't sleep on him.  In the meantime, Cotch and one other will make the cut.  Hard to say Plax has an edge, and old man v. the youngsters could get heated.

Really interested in seeing how soon Shamarko gets playing time and in what role.  He could be a really versatile guy if he grasps the D.  Also a character guy.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 11:27 »

It's a very difficult team to read at this point.

Don't see it that way at all. 

There's an average to slightly above average chance the team finishes 8-8 with a 50% chance they end up with a worse record and a 50% chance they finish with a winning record.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2013 at 13:54 »

There's an average to slightly above average chance the team finishes 8-8 with a 50% chance they end up with a worse record and a 50% chance they finish with a winning record.

I ain't no fancy pants big shot city lawyer, but your numbers add up to >100%.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jul 31, 2013 at 14:54 »

Whoever goes, make sure you're able to get an autograph.

Redskins Fan Crying For Not Getting Autograph

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 10:15 »

I ain't no fancy pants big shot city lawyer, but your numbers add up to >100%.

Red means run, son, numbers add up to nothin'.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Aug 01, 2013 at 10:19 »

Our best shot at heading to camp would have been Saturday 8/3 - looks like good weather, mid-80s and not too swampy.  But can't make it, so I don't think it's happening this year.  Too bad, would really love to get to see all the newer players.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Aug 05, 2013 at 16:09 »

Steelers w/o Cortez Allen, Terry Hawthorne and now Curtis Brown.  I think Rashean Mathis is still a FA. 

And there is always Ty Law.  Sing 'em

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 06, 2013 at 11:08 »

PLAYER OF THE WEEK: Rookie Le'Veon Bell, the team's second-round pick, is blowing away the competition to start at halfback. During live 11-on-11 he has ripped off several good runs. Bell has come out of the gate fast and continued to do so until he bumped knees in practice Friday with a teammate and missed a few practices. That is a minor bruise, however, and while they did not put him with the first team permanently before the injury, there is little doubt that he will start.

Boom.

Although, not sure if the accolades are indicative of how well he looks or how bad the rest of the RBs look.

BATTLE OF THE WEEK: David Paulson, who turned in a good rookie season as the No. 2 tight end to Heath Miller, is now No. 1. That will change when Miller returns from his ACL/PCL/MCL knee injury, but for now Paulson has moved ahead of Matt Spaeth, who had his right knee drained of fluid last week and is out indefinitely. Paulson has been the best blocking tight end in camp and also has shown he is a good receiver. He's a mini-Heath Miller.

His name...is David Paulson.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2013 at 15:47 »

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130805/jarvis-jones-pittsburgh-steelers-linebacker/

Jones, meanwhile, is off to an impressive start in his first Steelers camp, showing good instincts and feel for the game, doing a fair J.J. Watt impersonation with several batted down passes, and flashing the speed, athleticism and strength it takes to collapse the pocket and stand out in pass rush drills. The day I visited Steelers camp, Jones was particularly impressive in the "backs on backers'' drill, where linebackers take turns blitzing a quarterback, while a stationary running back or tight end is tasked with blitz pickup duties. Jones won almost all of his battles, earning some notice from both teammates and coaches.

Initially, when the draft scouting season opened, the Steelers never dreamed Jones would be where he is now, wearing black and gold and working to earn a spot in their lineup. Pittsburgh didn't even burn one of its 60 scouting combine interviews on Jones, figuring it would be a waste of time since Jones would come off the board long before No. 17.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: