Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 21, 2014 at 09:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Steelers forecast  (Read 4801 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jul 25, 2013 at 11:46 »

For the most part, I agree.

About the only thing that I would downplay from what he said is the impact of losing Wallace.  Yeah, he's a "downfield threat" and it might make things a little more...muddled if defenses don't respect Pittsburgh's big play ability.  However, that doesn't really play into the Haley style of offense, anyway, which is more of a precision passing game and getting the ball out of #7's hands more quickly.  This would obviously help in keeping #7 upright and healthy.

When it's all said and done, health is really the biggest issue for Pittsburgh.  On paper, they might not look like the most talented on either side of the ball and with some of the defections and lack of impact additions, it's no stretch to say they look weaker.  In fact, you might be crazy to assert otherwise.  However, they still have a franchise QB (and I mean a real one, not one that landed franchise QB money because his team happened to win the Super Bowl...) that can carry the offense, make players better and win a game with his arm.  As long as he (and other key guys can stay healthy), they're in the playoff mix.

They're a decent team.  And, it's such a fine line between a decent team finishing 8-8 or 11-5/12-4.  Even last year, with all the setbacks, they lost what, 4 or 5 games by 3 points or less?

Last year, those bounces, those calls went the other way.  Time for variance to swing things back in Pittsburgh's favor.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2013 at 09:58 »

I'll try to put together a forecast of my own soon.

A LOT of questions, as we have a lot of guys stepping into new roles.  Writer is incorrect about Miller, there's actually a lot of optimism he'l be ready for the opener.

Steelers Depot's had some decent preview articles, but I want to see how camp shakes out a bit.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jul 29, 2013 at 09:51 »

Right now, seems like alls quiet in Steelerland.

That's a good thing.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jul 30, 2013 at 11:56 »

Yet another.

Some interesting numbers tidbits.

This isn't surprising, but still crazy to see it on paper.

Roethlisberger has had one season in which he's played all 16 games in his nine years with the Steelers.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jul 30, 2013 at 11:59 »

Just need #80 to turn back the clock.

And Dwyer looks to be in the best...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jul 30, 2013 at 13:33 »

This isn't surprising, but still crazy to see it on paper.

Roethlisberger has had one season in which he's played all 16 games in his nine years with the Steelers.

The more I read that, the more astounding it sounds.

To compare:

P. Manning - played in all 16 games in 14 of his 15 seasons in NFL.
E. Manning - played in all 16 games in 8 of his 9 seasons in NFL.
T. Brady - played in all 16 games in 10 of his 13 seasons in NFL (really, since becoming starter, he only missed games in one season).
D. Brees - played in all 16 games in 8 of his 12 seasons in the NFL (again, since becoming a starter, he missed games in three seasons; in two of those seasons, he missed just one game).
A. Rodgers - due to the Favre quandry, he's played 5 seasons as starter.  He's only missed one game in two different seasons
P. Rivers - been in the NFL for 9 seasons, 7 as a starter.  Hasn't missed a game since taking over.
Some assclown that just signed a nine figure deal hasn't missed a game in 5 seasons.
Matt Ryan has missed only a couple games in the same amount of time.

The difference is startling, really

Gonna be tough to ever be considered among the great ones if you can't manage to stay healthy.  Look at last season.  He was on an MVP like pace until he got hurt.  Going into this season, it seems like he's kind of an after thought. 

Generally, when the first thing that comes to mind when forecasting his season is, "if he can stay upright..." it's never a good thing.

jasonic
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #6 on: Jul 30, 2013 at 14:36 »

his career numbers are even more amazing considering he's played so many less games than all the other guys...

"If you make every game a life and death proposition, you're going to have problems. For one thing, you'll be dead a lot."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jul 30, 2013 at 16:01 »

Quote from: law
Gonna be tough to ever be considered among the great ones if you can't manage to stay healthy.

Conversely, might look at it as a product of BBR's shitty lines.  If you look at how often those QBs were sacked...

B. Roethlisberger – 344 sacks – 126 GS  (9 seasons)– 2.73 sacks/start – 8.38% sack percentage
A. Rodgers - 211 sacks – 78 GS (5 seasons) – 2.71 sacks/start – 7.34% sack percentage
J. Flacco - 174 sacks – 80 GS (5 seasons) – 2.18 sacks/start – 6.53% sack percentage
P. Rivers - 219 sacks – 112 GS (7 seasons) – 1.96 sacks/start – 5.79% sack percentage
T. Brady - 303 sacks – 175 GS (12 seasons) – 1.73 sacks/start – 4.84% sack percentage
E. Manning - 213 sacks – 135 GS (9 seasons) – 1.58 sacks/start – 4.56% sack percentage
Matt Ryan - 113 sacks – 77 GS (5 seasons) – 1.47 sacks/start – 4.11% sack percentage
D. Brees - 234 sacks – 169 GS (12 seasons) – 1.38 sacks/start – 3.67% sack percentage
P. Manning – 252 sacks – 224 GS (15 seasons) – 1.13 sacks/start - 3.13% sack percentage

Only Ben, Aaron, and Fucko get sacked more than twice per game on average.  Ben's had nearly twice as many seasons as starter, and subjectively speaking, I'd assess his OL as the worst of any QB on this list on a year-in, year-out basis.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Aug 02, 2013 at 14:07 »

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/steelers-linebackers-look-regain-snarl-182544266--nfl.html

Though Woodley is reluctant to discuss his weight, Butler estimates Woodley played at around 295 pounds over the last two years. He appears slimmer during the first week of training camp at Saint Vincent College, even if he typically hides his wide 6-foot-2 frame underneath layers of sweatshirts and shorts.

Whoa.  Good thing Snacks is gone cuz now Woodman can finally get off the Casey Hampton Diet.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Aug 02, 2013 at 14:15 »

295?!  FFS. 

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: