Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 29, 2014 at 20:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 1 - Sept. 8 - Tennessee @ Pittsburgh  (Read 5265 times)
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #50 on: Sep 08, 2013 at 21:23 »

Howling has a torn ACL.  That's 3 players lost for the season in one game.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #51 on: Sep 08, 2013 at 21:54 »

Howling has a torn ACL.  That's 3 players lost for the season in one game.

Damn, that bet would have won somebody a ton of $$$ in Vegas.

Hey Preacherman, good to see ya. 

So, if Dwyer isn't back, we'll know he must have taken a dump in Tomlin's closet.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #52 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 06:10 »

Wow, that was an embarrassment.  Defense played well enough to win, but again didn't dictate anything, never got a short field.  Offensively can't add to what's been said - worst we've had since - hell, even the Maddox and Stewart  and mediocre 1980's teams could run the ball - so maybe worst in my lifetime.

Tennesse came into Pitt and said "we'll spot you two points, give you the ball to start both halves, and we'll only score one touchdown" and we still couldn't win.

WOnder what we can get someone to trade us for the rights to draft Clowney.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #53 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 08:36 »

Hate to say it, but Michael Turner is still out there. Even if he's been eating onion rings at The Varsity in the ATL since he was released, he's as good as/better than what's on the roster now.

And he can catch. And he can at least get in the way of a blitzing LB.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #54 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 08:51 »

Dwyer back.

Not that it probably makes much difference, but why the fuck was Redman even out there yesterday, with basically no pre-season touches? And WTF was up with his little tribute to Mendenhall?

And SwissHam is out for a few games too?
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #55 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 09:17 »

The team was horribly unprepared yesterday.  The offense has no ability to run the football and no desire to stretch the field...a horrible combination.  That, plus losing the turnover battle and injury "battle," means this team is destine for a whole bunch of nothing.

And SwissHam is out for a few games too?

And down goes the early favorite for team (repeat) MVP.

In other news, Mike Wallace is the head case we thought he was: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9652386/report-mike-wallace-miami-dolphins-not-happy-usage-win

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #56 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 11:35 »

In all seriousness, yesterday was the first time that I questioned Tomlin's ability to effectively coach this team.

Injuries are something beyond their control.  Even the talent level (at this point in the "season") is kinda beyond their control.  They just don't have as many playmakers, particularly on defense, that they used to have.  

But, being prepared?  Crisp execution?  Not hurting yourself with turnovers and penalties?  Personnel management?

That's the stuff that they can control and to me, it didn't look like they worked on that shit at all.  Kinda felt like they strolled into this game with a "eh, it's just Tennessee..." attitude.

Somebody needs to shoot Tomlin a memo or an email or a tweet or whatthefuckever and let him know that the preseason is NOT 5 games long.  This team is far from great, but they're not as bad as they looked yesterday.  And, that falls on the coaches.  They need to come up with a better plan, work on it and fucking get it done.  Primetime next week.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #57 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 13:00 »

The Steelers need a shake-up, and I think it should be at the GM level. Colbert is done, IMO. The lack of talent and depth on this team is appalling and frightening.

I still believe in Tomlin, if only because the defense has performed at the highest levels every year he's been here, and we shouldn't take that for granted.

But given the fact that we have a franchise QB and an elite defense, Colbert's job is not that hard. All he's got to do is field a minimally-competent offensive line and find some playmakers. I would trade our 10 other starters on offense for any other team's 10 other starters -- without even looking.

Our drafts, our free agents signings of the last few years -- all have been bottom-of-the-league awful.
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #58 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 13:18 »

A guy on Football Outsiders asked a question that puts the GM's performance in stark relief:

If the Steelers were to cut any of the RBs on the roster -- Redman, Howling, Felix Jones -- would *any* NFL team pick up any one of those guys?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #59 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 13:29 »

I think we're all pretty much on the same page here.  Neither Colbert nor Tomlin are the best, nor the worst, in the biz.  Look at some of the Patriots' recent drafts, e.g.  But what's particularly maddening is that both seem blind, in lockstep, to what is obvious to most casual observers:  preseason prep, time management and in-game adjustments, OL, ST, and secondary are all problems.  Not once-and-done problems, but whack-a-mole, recurring problems.  The fixes seem cursory, like an afterthrought.

Preseason.  Every year we bitch because the team comes out looking rough, herky-jerky, nowhere near as polished as some teams.  I thought this preseason had to be some gross anomaly, because it was ridiculous to consider that we would field that slop in the regular season.  Don't the coaches and GM do any sort of self-eval, the way they do with players, to improve processes?  (Evidently not.)  The only way to improve and to stay sharp is to constantly turn the critic's eye toward the man in the mirror, and not just after a down year.  We just do the same old same old, the standard is the standard, we have our ways and we're sticking to them.  Copy ad paste WRT to game-time decisions.  Tomlin needs a sidekick geek coach for time management decisions, making sure he knows how to pace the game (esp. in the last 5 minutes of each half).

OL has been comical.  We did make two solid investments (Pouncey, DeCastro) and two guys I was not sold on (Adams, Gilbert).  I'm hoping Adams can improve this year, but I think Gilbert is a POS.  Foster has zero pedigree but some solid play under the old OL coach; that's not helping him now, a he looks like a fish out of water.  Depth is idiotically bad.  We blow so many late draft picks when we should be doing some sort of value hunting for OL depth.  And now look at what we have.  Case in point:  R4 we took Ta'amu last year, I said he wasn't a 3-4 NT despite his size; 3 picks later the Cards too OT Bobby Massie, who I did like a lot, and who has been a solid player for them.  Ta'amu gone; OT depth nonexistent.  Fuck.

ST, hard to say what the issue is but let's spin the wheel again.  Bad field position has been killing us for years, but let's just hope and pray.

Secondary, sort of the same thing as the OL, except without any high draft investments.  We'e been lucky guys like Cortez can come in and contribute, but it's going to take more than finding R4 diamond in the dreck to turn this group around.  We kep recycling guys like Gay and McFadden "because the know the system," when their limitations are evident.  I'm hoping this year's R4 Shamarko is another nice late find, but it's a passing league.  And we don't other to invest in CB or S.  Seriously, your CB and S depth these days has to be pretty solid, and some of these guys seem to be learning on the fly.  Or ST only.  

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 ... 5 [6] 7 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: