Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 02, 2014 at 02:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 1 - Sept. 8 - Tennessee @ Pittsburgh  (Read 5318 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #60 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 13:40 »

A guy on Football Outsiders asked a question that puts the GM's performance in stark relief:

If the Steelers were to cut any of the RBs on the roster -- Redman, Howling, Felix Jones -- would *any* NFL team pick up any one of those guys?

The sad thing is that we can probably add RB to the problem areas of talent/depth.  After Bettis, I think Colbert and Rooney got this notion that they could turn anyone into a quality starter or at least depth guy:  Out of nowhere comes FWP!  And now look, we have the tough little bull Isaac Redman!  And wowzers, some draft guru types had Dwyer as a R1 pick, and we got him off the scrap heap!  They got into this yard sale mentality (until Bell) and eventually that doesn't work any more.  And then it gets to the point where you are getting behind the curve and needing an investment in R1-3 in so many areas that you can't address it all in a year or two or three...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #61 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 14:02 »

I'd have to say that this is about as close to consensus as I've ever seen on this board...unless the disagreeing types are just keeping silent!

Totally agree with AJ:  I'm starting to have some real questions about Tomlin. You can lack talent and still look ready to play, ready to compete. We didn't.

Colbert:  I just think it's time to move on, though I don't expect it. In years past, we said, "Well he's good in the early rounds but tends to whiff late." Mendenhall. Sweed. Gilbert. The lack of depth. The lack of any effort to get free agents. Why? Well, that's not what we "do" here. Even the draft picks for the offensive line have yet to show any real, consistent development.

I really question the hiring of Haley at this point. Ben looks completely angry and frustrated. Yeah, I know he can be a d-bag and says some asinine stuff to the media, but it ain't working between him and the OCoordinator--and in this one, I side with Ben. Seems to me that Haley's rep for being a stubborn ass is coming to roost in Pgh. And I don't care if he grew up loving the Steelers or not--if he can't get his offense any better prepared than that, and have a plan for when a starter goes down, then he needs to call the moving company.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #62 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 14:40 »

There were a few shots downfield, but Ben and the WRs were just out of synch.  He had the arm.  They had plenty of speed.  Coverage was solid, but the catches could have been made.  I know the CBA limits number of practices but it does so for all teams equally.

To my point about repeating the same errors, systematically: we howled over how predictable Arians was, and do the same with Haley.  Hey, guess what Mike Tomlin: that's up to YOU to correct.  You can let Haley call the plays and have his own philosophy of offense, but you have to say Hey, we need more of X, Y, and Z...  Tomlin's far too deferential to his coordinators.  Fine when that guy is LeBeau.  The other guys, not so much.

Our DL is better at penetrating on pass rush than on setting the rush defense.  Just the way it is.  With Foote out, we don't have an tested entity (will Timmons call it?  who's the thumper?), so maybe we should work some 4-3 in.  I know, I know, won't happen.  But our best front 7 right now is probably LOLB - Woodley, LDE - Heyward, DT - Hood, NT - Mac, RDE - Keisel, MLB - Timmons, ROLB - Worilds/Jones.  Jones flashed, but I'm fine with rotating him and Worilds.  Unless Worilds can flip to ILB and Jones can take over ROLB.  I'm not sold on Kion Wilson or Vince Williams taking Foote's spot, and with 4 DE crowding the lanes up front the rush D might stiffen up a bit.

Best solution on OL might be to have DeCastro kneecap 'em all and start over.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #63 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 14:50 »

The Steelers need a shake-up, and I think it should be at the GM level. Colbert is done, IMO. The lack of talent and depth on this team is appalling and frightening.

I still believe in Tomlin, if only because the defense has performed at the highest levels every year he's been here, and we shouldn't take that for granted.

I hate to say this because it drives me bonkers when my kids do it ..."Yeah, but..." the defense was great before he got here and has stayed that way under MT.  The one constant?  ****ie.  Tomlin was a defensive back coach for Tampa, but that's the area that seems to always struggle or be ignored from a personnel standpoint.  So, how much input does he really have on that side of the ball?  I would guess that he generally lets LeBeau do his thing.

But given the fact that we have a franchise QB and an elite defense, Colbert's job is not that hard. All he's got to do is field a minimally-competent offensive line and find some playmakers. I would trade our 10 other starters on offense for any other team's 10 other starters -- without even looking.

I can definitely see where you're coming from there, but I don't know if I'd go that far.  There are some highlights at certain spots.  It is funny (sad?) though...most teams seem to have decent pieces to the puzzle, but can't find a franchise QB.  Pittsburgh has the QB, but doesn't seem to do a good job of protecting or surrounding him with much.  Cap hell is a bitch.

Secondary, sort of the same thing as the OL, except without any high draft investments.  We'e been lucky guys like Cortez can come in and contribute, but it's going to take more than finding R4 diamond in the dreck to turn this group around.  We kep recycling guys like Gay and McFadden "because the know the system," when their limitations are evident.  I'm hoping this year's R4 Shamarko is another nice late find, but it's a passing league.  And we don't other to invest in CB or S.  Seriously, your CB and S depth these days has to be pretty solid, and some of these guys seem to be learning on the fly.  Or ST only.

To be fair though, they had a pretty good secondary last year and they just couldn't afford to keep it together.  Lewis (who probably had the best ball awareness on the squad), Taylor and Allen was a decent CB trio.  As you said, you need that more today than probably ever in this league.  Let him go; don't draft a CB early; bring in a castoff; and now you deal with an injury that puts a guy who's at best a nickel corner into a starting role.  Sounds like a nice recipe for getting lit the fuck up every week in the passing game.

You gotta draft a CB high and hope to hit a home run because they sure as shit aren't gonna pay a high priced FA one.

I really question the hiring of Haley at this point. Ben looks completely angry and frustrated. Yeah, I know he can be a d-bag and says some asinine stuff to the media, but it ain't working between him and the OCoordinator--and in this one, I side with Ben. Seems to me that Haley's rep for being a stubborn ass is coming to roost in Pgh. And I don't care if he grew up loving the Steelers or not--if he can't get his offense any better prepared than that, and have a plan for when a starter goes down, then he needs to call the moving company.

I dunno, P.  I'm starting to think this flows from the top.  Again, Ben looked like an MVP last year, in a completely new system, before he got hurt.  All they really "lost" from that squad is Wallace, Starks and Miller for the time being.  Don't see how we shouldn't see some improvement there.  Ben didn't exactly look at his best yesterday either.  Granted, the dude was running for his life a lot, but even on some of the basic throws, he didn't put it where it should be.  I saw guys having to jump, reach or stretch for passes that should be right between the numbers.

With all of the turnover in the last few, maybe Tomlin has lost the locker room some?  Maybe the players (and to a point, other coaches?) don't have the same...confidence, don't know if that's the right word... in the staff anymore?   Something definitely feels "off." 

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #64 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 14:57 »

Seriously, the fuck was he thinkin' when he made that move?  It didn't look like he was pulling a KVO or something.  Pouncey was engaged with his guy.  DDC looked like he was goin' in for a full out chop block.  He knows that's illegal, right?

They need to find a C before next Monday.  Wonder if Hartings has kept himself in shape?

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #65 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 15:00 »

They need to find a C before next Monday.  Wonder if Hartings has kept himself in shape?

Nevermind.

Decent option, actually.

Now, if they can just sign Starks which would push Gilbert to the bench...

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #66 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 15:18 »

Seriously, the fuck was he thinkin' when he made that move?  It didn't look like he was pulling a KVO or something.  Pouncey was engaged with his guy.  DDC looked like he was goin' in for a full out chop block.  He knows that's illegal, right?

Only saw the replay once, and from an odd angle.  But it looked like 53 was engaged with Hill, and DDC was going low in front of a different (not engaged) DL guy - just way overshot it and whacked Pouncey.  Love the exuberance and all David, but...  Oh, and I think he sailed into Pouncey because the guy he was aiming for kind of pulled up, and so no hit made.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #67 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 15:20 »

Nevermind.

Decent option, actually.

Now, if they can just sign Starks which would push Gilbert to the bench...

Starks was really, really bad in SD this year.  I dunno what to say about that.  I fucking hate Gilbert.  And Whimper.  Maybe we can grab your boy Lewan next year, aj.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #68 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 15:55 »

The only thing that I can say about Starks is that he's a known commodity, and at least he gives effort (although clumsily) most plays. And he's fat enough to stop a bull rush, when Gilbert is not. It's hard to imagine that he makes us any worse up front.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #69 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 18:07 »

A writeup on the new center when he was given a 2nd Rd tender

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/11/titans-give-fernando-velasco-second-round-tender/

The team has done worse with guys like Sean Mahan and Justin Hartwig

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-1/Fernando-Velasco-Draws-Work-Ethic-from-Grandfather/20380b9a-a9fc-4688-a414-c98b009e9c62
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2013 at 18:13 by SCacalaki » Logged

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: