Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 25, 2014 at 06:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 1 - Sept. 8 - Tennessee @ Pittsburgh  (Read 6297 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #70 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 18:08 »

I was definitely pro Starks in the off-season.  He can play OT, which Whimpering cannot.  Our next roster move may be a PK though.  If Swissham's got a hammy, who do we cut?  Garvin?  Bring in Hrappman for a test run?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #71 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 18:32 »

I was definitely pro Starks in the off-season.  He can play OT, which Whimpering cannot.  Our next roster move may be a PK though.  If Swissham's got a hammy, who do we cut?  Garvin?  Bring in Hrappman for a test run?

Didn't we bring in Shayne Graham today per ESPN article?

Also, I will for one blame Tomlin above and before Colbert.  Talentless teams can look crisp; we looked talentless but sloppy even more so....

As for bringing in a geeky coach to manage the clock...that would leave Haley and Dickie doing what they do with the offense and defense respectively, the geeky coach managing the game and Tomlin doing what, exactly? Said differently, exactly what does Tomlin bring to this team?
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2013 at 18:37 by scballersc » Logged
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #72 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 18:39 »

I was hoping for one of those old Cowher half-time motivational speeches.
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #73 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 18:55 »

Hey guys - did I hear some of you say Tomlin sucks?

Hate for this to be my first post of the season, but a 0- to 4-win season may be just what is needed. Rid us of Tomlin and hopefully snag Clowney. Trade Ben and get younger in multiple positions through players or picks.

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #74 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 19:02 »

Hate for this to be my first post of the season, but a 0- to 4-win season may be just what is needed. Rid us of Tomlin and hopefully snag Clowney. Trade Ben and get younger in multiple positions through players or picks.

For the record, I was not saying he sucked; just that that one is on him in my book.  I have always maintained that he has NO ability to manage down, distance, and the clock.

I will always compare head coaches with respect to their potential replacement.  But the fact of the matter is that we are going to continue forward with Tomlin whether I like him or not..
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #75 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 19:35 »

For the record, I was not saying he sucked; just that that one is on him in my book.  I have always maintained that he has NO ability to manage down, distance, and the clock.

I will always compare head coaches with respect to their potential replacement.  But the fact of the matter is that we are going to continue forward with Tomlin whether I like him or not..

+1 to that, and +1 to your notion that even talentless teams can look crisp.  This is more on Tomlin than Colbert.  Long-term shittiness is Colbert's domain, short-term suckage is Tomlin's. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #76 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 19:57 »

Hate for this to be my first post of the season, but a 0- to 4-win season may be just what is needed. Rid us of Tomlin and hopefully snag Clowney.

I said earlier we might be in contention for pick, but if we got it would wait for trade offers to roll in.  Clowney doesn't solve our problems and we could get at least 3 potential top level guys for that pick.
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #77 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 20:22 »

Fuck, I spent 3 hours watching the game and an hour on the phone last week with DirecTV negotiating the price of The Ticket.

That's 4 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #78 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 20:25 »

Do you really see a bad season (6 wins or less) as the catalyst for Tomlin's departure?  In most cases, the Rooneys aren't reactionary.  My guess is Haley would be gone.  Maybe the new ST guy too if the penalties continue.  

Cowher's lowest point in the regular season was six wins (twice) and missed the playoffs three consecutive years (98-00)

IMO, Tomlin would have one more year.  Colbert would be more likely of the two to go after this year but if we were picking in the top 10, my guess is the Rooneys would keep him.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #79 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 20:38 »

I know steelersdepot has written about Starks being done.  I didn't see any preseason SD but read the article SDepot linked re: Starks' demise.  And Starks was never confused with the top LTs of the league.  But as preach notes, Gilbert gives up on his blocks early and never recovers.  Whether it is Adams at LT and Starks at RT or flipped, I would prefer it to Gilbert at RT.  And I would prefer Gllbert to Whimper as the back up tackle.

This likely won't happen but I fully expect Beachum to become the starting RT when Miller and/or Spaeth return.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: