Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 02, 2014 at 01:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 1 - Sept. 8 - Tennessee @ Pittsburgh  (Read 6086 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #80 on: Sep 09, 2013 at 21:46 »

Fuck, I spent 3 hours watching the game and an hour on the phone last week with DirecTV negotiating the price of The Ticket.

Any luck?

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Joetorious
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #81 on: Sep 10, 2013 at 09:04 »

Do you really see a bad season (6 wins or less) as the catalyst for Tomlin's departure?  

I think that Rooney sees what many of us do - that Tomlin is pedestrian, doesn't make a difference in-game and doesn't do much (if anything) before the game to make a difference (i.e., he's pretty much a non-factor, or at worst, a detractor).

The problem, IMO, is that Rooney doesn't want to be the one that breaks the tradition of having decades-long successful coaching tenures (and also indict himself on his ability to select coaches). As Marcellus Wallace might say, keeping Tomlin around this long (and any longer) is just pride fuckin' with him.
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2013 at 09:09 by Joetorious » Logged

Tell 'em...Large Marge sent ya! Bwhahahaha
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #82 on: Sep 10, 2013 at 22:50 »

It's difficult to envision a scenario that has Tomlin being removed anytime soon ( within a year or two). Most of the points being made about the preparedness , effort, mental mistakes, and down right sloppiness are spot on. I didn't think the Steelers would be world beaters this year, but Sunday was down right awful, and with the injuries suffered to Foote and Pouncy, it's hard to be positive about the direction for the the rest of the season. Tomlin and Haley better come up with something quick to at least make the team competitive. I can see 7-9 or 8-8 , and yes I know , it's somewhat blasphemous to accept that kind of record for the Steelers, but the reality may be that this as good as they will be this year.

The defense should, and will , keep them in games , and they played well enough to win on Sunday. The lack of TO's is definitely troubling, but giving up 16 points and 225 yards is a solid performance. I like the idea of maybe doing a little 4-3 and letting Timmons be the middle. It may be the best way to handle the lack of LB depth. Troy seems to be back, but Clark may not last the season with the hits he puts out.

I'm not going to press the " holy fucking shit we suck donkey balls and the season is lost" button yet, but it's clear the Steelers have issues that will most likely keep them out of the playoffs. They historically play better in the second game of the season, so lets see what happens in Cincy. Maybe Ben can stay healthy and can carry the O to enough wins that the D keeps within reach.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #83 on: Sep 10, 2013 at 23:33 »

It's difficult to envision a scenario that has Tomlin being removed anytime soon ( within a year or two). Most of the points being made about the preparedness , effort, mental mistakes, and down right sloppiness are spot on. I didn't think the Steelers would be world beaters this year, but Sunday was down right awful, and with the injuries suffered to Foote and Pouncy, it's hard to be positive about the direction for the the rest of the season. Tomlin and Haley better come up with something quick to at least make the team competitive. I can see 7-9 or 8-8 , and yes I know , it's somewhat blasphemous to accept that kind of record for the Steelers, but the reality may be that this as good as they will be this year.

The defense should, and will , keep them in games , and they played well enough to win on Sunday. The lack of TO's is definitely troubling, but giving up 16 points and 225 yards is a solid performance. I like the idea of maybe doing a little 4-3 and letting Timmons be the middle. It may be the best way to handle the lack of LB depth. Troy seems to be back, but Clark may not last the season with the hits he puts out.

I'm not going to press the " holy fucking shit we suck donkey balls and the season is lost" button yet, but it's clear the Steelers have issues that will most likely keep them out of the playoffs. They historically play better in the second game of the season, so lets see what happens in Cincy. Maybe Ben can stay healthy and can carry the O to enough wins that the D keeps within reach.

Shh.  Don't talk sense.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #84 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 13:42 »

Yeah, see what you're saying.  I'm not going to climb out on any ledges soon or anything, but still...

The points about a lack of preparedness, mental mistakes, sloppiness, shitty effort, bad attitude aren't really revelations as a result of this game or the preseason.  It's been occurring for awhile now.  You'd just expect these kinds of "issues" to be addressed first and foremost.  I'm not a fan of Coughlin's, but after that 6 TO performance against the Cowgirls, you bet your ass they'll have their shit together for Denver this week.  They might not win, but it won't be because they keep shooting themselves in the foot. 

Like I said in another thread (or maybe it was earlier in this one), this team needs to get on the same page...fucking fast.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #85 on: Sep 14, 2013 at 10:05 »

Fuck, I spent 3 hours watching the game and an hour on the phone last week with DirecTV negotiating the price of The Ticket.

Any luck?

They wanted to charge me about $240.  After getting to customer retention, I agreed to a one year contract to save $20 per month on my bill for one year.  In addition, they are waiving the $10 monthly HD charge for 2 years, 

At least for the one year period, the ticket is pretty much free, I guess.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #86 on: Sep 16, 2013 at 10:14 »

They wanted to charge me about $240.  After getting to customer retention, I agreed to a one year contract to save $20 per month on my bill for one year.  In addition, they are waiving the $10 monthly HD charge for 2 years, 

At least for the one year period, the ticket is pretty much free, I guess.

They must be tired of hearing from me.

I just called yesterday and was like, "WTF?  Why don't I has it?  All new members get it...I've been with you guys for almost 20 years...blah, blah, blah."  Then, BAM!  They rolled over and showed their belly.  Rep practically interrupted me and said, "Yeah, yeah, you qualify for it."    Even though I didn't ask for it, they threw in Ticket Maxx too which allows you to watch on PC, smartphones, etc.  The package has some other additional features that I have to check out...Redzone Channel...fantasy player tracker...some other stuff.  Wasn't able to read up on all of it yet.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #87 on: Sep 16, 2013 at 19:29 »

Your persuasion must be much better than mine.  The first two people before the customer retention dude to me to get fucked and they weren't going below $164.

Nice Work!!!

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Pages: 1 ... 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: