Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 29, 2014 at 21:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steelers sing Velasco (C) and Graham (PK)  (Read 4140 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Sep 09, 2013 at 22:03 »

Mentioned in the Gameday thread, but probably deserving of its own thread for discussion.

Steelers sign Ferrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrnando!

The Velasco move is a really good one, folks.  And, he's played guard as well so Foster shouldn't get too comfy.  He could easily displace him in '14.

Edit:  Oh, yeah, Dwyer is back too.  *eye roll*  You know, there are actually other RBs out there, Kevin.  McGahee, Turner,  Cedric Benson, Javid Best, Hightower, Torain...it's quite an extensive list, actually.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2013 at 22:09 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2013 at 07:06 »

But they're not "familiar with the system."

I mean, it takes a long time to know how to get snagged in your backfield for a loss.

Agree on Fernando, looks solid there.  Why Cody Wallace then? 

Could bring in a kicker to take Foote's spot and promote a guy on the roster, then when Swiss Ham's OK we have an open spot.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2013 at 15:30 »

I'm not one to be on the I hate Mike Tomlin bandwagon (he is pushing me that way) but it seems ridiculous that Tomlin says Beachum is the starter over Velasco. Familiarity with the system has very little impact here as Beachum got no reps in the presason at center and hasn't played that position in the pros or in college that I know of. I guess Tomlin goes with familiar with the system over a player's ability to play the position.  Velasco started at least 12 games at center last year ....Beachum has never started a game at center in the pros.  if beach in as your backup center why not get him reps in the preseason versus John Malecki, who was familiar with the system and got the preseason reps  but not good enough to stick???

Tomlin is over thinking this.  Vellasco starts and get Felix Jones 8-10 carries.  This familiarity with the offense stuff is bullshit
« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2013 at 16:02 by SCacalaki » Logged

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2013 at 21:03 »

I'm not one to be on the I hate Mike Tomlin bandwagon (he is pushing me that way) but it seems ridiculous that Tomlin says Beachum is the starter over Velasco. Familiarity with the system has very little impact here as Beachum got no reps in the presason at center and hasn't played that position in the pros or in college that I know of. I guess Tomlin goes with familiar with the system over a player's ability to play the position.  Velasco started at least 12 games at center last year ....Beachum has never started a game at center in the pros.  if beach in as your backup center why not get him reps in the preseason versus John Malecki, who was familiar with the system and got the preseason reps  but not good enough to stick???

Tomlin is over thinking this.  Vellasco starts and get Felix Jones 8-10 carries.  This familiarity with the offense stuff is bullshit

Wat???!!!

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 05:26 »

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/09/beachum-start-center-week-2-bengals/

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/09/mike-tomlin-isaac-redman-starter-bengals-week-2/

Not surprised Redman likely starting.  Tomlin didn't give many downs to Felix on Sunday and he doesn't like Dwyer's fumbling (burp) from the preseason. 

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 10:55 »

I thought Beachum did well considering the circumstances but I prefer experience at the position over familiarity with the scheme this week. 

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/09/fernando-velasco-be-up-to-speed-week-2/

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 11:57 »

Posted response in Gameday thread.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 19:20 »

To continue my bitchfest,  Velasco was rated the #11 center last year by Pro Football Focus.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/new-help-center-of-attention-for-steelers-702708/

Can't find Pouncey's ranking but did find him on a negative list

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/07/14/three-years-of-pass-blocking-efficiency-centers/

Not to slam Pouncey but to note, in my opinion, Tomlin's silly decision to start Beachum at center.  Seems to me that we need Beachum at TE and Velasco at C rather than Paulson at TE and Beachum at C.  The second option just seems ridiculous when attempting to improve the running game.  I don't think Velasco will be flawless and it certainly would be beneficial to get him more time with the team.  But I think it gets the O back to their plan coming in to the season, using Beachum at TE until Miller and/or Spaeth return.  It isn't like Velasco is Cody Wallace or John Malecki.........

Foster will make the line calls:
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/09/report-steelers-g-ramon-foster-line-calls-bengals/
« Last Edit: Sep 11, 2013 at 19:37 by SCacalaki » Logged

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2013 at 21:18 »

Velasco's not a green rook, FFS.  He can learn the nuances on the fly.  I'd rather have a guy that might fuck up an assignment here and there because he doesn't know it versus a guy that gets beat on every goddamned play because...well, he sucks.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 13, 2013 at 13:11 »

Dur

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2013/09/report-new-steelers-c-fernando-velasco-picking-up-playbook-quickly/

scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #10 on: Sep 13, 2013 at 22:30 »

Generally a Dur Dur slaps chest in comparison to our genius "I am still only going to suit up 7 Olinemen with the Intention to play a 6th at TE" head coach.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Sep 14, 2013 at 09:18 »

Velasco to start.  If he plays well, he's only 28; extend him, move Pouncey to LG, keep Foster as a reserve or possibly RT.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: