Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 10:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colts trade R1 pick for Trent Richardson  (Read 1328 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Sep 19, 2013 at 09:07 »

So, the Browns wasted a passel of draft picks so that they could move to the 1.3 spot in 2011, and then their ROI is a 2014 R1 (mid-R1, likely) from the Clots.  Oh, and despite the injury last year, Richardson is was prolly their best player on the roster. 

Just when I'm feeling down and blue, the Browns come along and cheer me up.

Colts made a hella deal IMO.  Glad he's outta the AFCN.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2013 at 10:15 »

Yeah, but...

The Browns' should be interesting to watch at the '14 draft.  If my figurin' is correct, Cleveland has all of their picks next year plus Indy's #1 (Richardson), Pittsburgh's #3 (a #4 last year that they used to draft Shamarko Thomas), and Indy's #4 (a 5th last year that the Colts used to draft Montori Hughes).  I haven't dug too deeply into the '14 draft crop yet, but 10 draft picks (7 in the top 4 rounds) could do some damage (if we weren't talking about the Browns).

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 19, 2013 at 11:12 »

It's clear what the Browns intend to do. They will use all 10 draft picks to move from number 2 overall to number 1 overall, and draft Teddy Bridgewater. With no talent around Bridgewater, he is doomed to fail. So in 2016, they will trade Bridgewater to another team for a second round pick. But man, the guy they draft with that 2016 second round pick is gonna be awesome!

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 19, 2013 at 11:22 »

With the Browns' draft history, I don't care how many picks they have they will screw up.  Trading up to get Brady Quinn ring a bell?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Sep 19, 2013 at 11:34 »

With the Browns' draft history, I don't care how many picks they have they will screw up.  Trading up to get Brady Quinn ring a bell?

This.

Colts OTOH, have Luck and Richardson, changes the complexion of the NFCS at least long-term.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2013 at 11:43 »

Knowing the Browns they draft Johnny Football.  I hope they do.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 19, 2013 at 12:20 »

Here's the deal.  Since 2004, here are the Browns' efforts to find a QB:

2004 - Juke McCown, round 4 (106)
2005 - Charlie Frye, Round 3 (67)
2007 - Brady Quinn, round 1 (22)
2010 - Colt McCoy, round 3 (85)
2012 - Brandon Weeden, Round 1 (22)

And in 04 they had the #6 overall pick, passing on some small school flash in the pan QB named Roffle-somethingorother to take Kellen Winslow Jr.

Understandable, they probably didn't hear much about him since he played in Ohio - oh, wait...

Whatever happened to that dude?
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2013 at 13:23 »

Northrup Frye!

I'm disappointed you didn't go a little further back and mention the Tim Couch.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2013 at 15:12 »

In all fairness, it is a new regime there.  Richardson was a Holmgren pick so maybe they don't feel he's the right guy to build around?

*shrugs shoulders* 

Richardson's stock will probably never be higher.  Getting R1 picks in exchange for a player (especially a non-franchise QB type player) is pretty goddamned rare.

That said, I think Indy made out because they need/get help right now (what's the deal with Bradshaw?) and if I'm a Cleveland fan, I'd be pretty pissed because it feels like they're throwing in the towel on the season in Week 2.

I mean, at least keep up the appearance for wanting to compete until Week 11 or 12...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Sep 19, 2013 at 16:05 »

Getting R1 picks in exchange for a player (especially a non-franchise QB type player) is pretty goddamned rare.

True enough, but that's cuz R1 guys usually get to play out their rookie contract.  If they're traded before that, it's because there's a serious problem.  If traded after, the contract ding of a C$2 or C$3 is too high.  Is Trent really permanently damaged goods?  He seemed to show some tremendous power and good skills overall.  Cap hit is $1.6, $2.2, and $3.2 for the Colts, or whatever the prorated portion of $1.6 is this year.  Sounds like they got a good deal unless he's truly China.

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: