Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 20:52 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 4 - Sept. 26 - Pittsburgh @ Minnesota (London)  (Read 4272 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Sep 25, 2013 at 09:41 »

This team needs to stop with all the 0-3 and 0-4 talk and just try to remember how to win.  One game at a time.  Focus on Sunday.  That's it.  Big picture stuff is irrelevant.

Losing is becoming too common place here.  After awhile, it becomes all they know and they accept it.  Everybody and I mean everybody needs to kick it up 2 or 3 notches.  This needs to stop now.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Sep 25, 2013 at 10:31 »

Indeed.  But I fear what happens when they gear up to stop Peterson.  These are two winless teams, both should be desperate.  But the fact is, this isn't a good team.  They'll eek out a few victories along the way I figure, Minny could be one of those.  I'm not holding my breath for these guys.  I mean, one figures they're trying, right?  Aren't they trying to win?  So it comes down to the dearth of talent caused by several poor drafts.  That's my theory.  So gird them loins, boys.  We're gonna be here a while.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Sep 25, 2013 at 11:17 »

Ponder is questionable with a rib.  Vikes might have to rely on Cassel.

Hopefully if Bell is a go, they don't just come out, line up and hand the ball off expecting some magical production.  This is still a team that can't enforce it's will on people.  Their success on offense is based on scheming.  If I'm Tomlin, I talk up the fact that we're anxious to see what LB brings to the table; gonna feature him; blah, blah, blah...then come out and PAP their ass.  Add in a few dumpoffs to get Bell in space and locked up with a LB.  Maybe go no huddle on the first series too and put the defense on its heels a bit.  Do something...anything to show that you're trying to mix things up. 

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Sep 25, 2013 at 11:33 »

We don't usually go no huddle until we've burnt thru at least three fruitless possessions.

Poor fuckers who planned a road trip to this game.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2013 at 10:34 »

Not sure it matters either way, but Matt Cassel to start for Christian Ponder.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/matt-cassel-start-quarterback-vikings-because-christian-ponder-134432293--nfl.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2013 at 11:53 »

Vikes went over on Tuesday, I think. Steelers just got there.

Not sure what the best approach is. I was in the UK for 9 days in May and never adjusted to the time change.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2013 at 13:34 »

Vikes went over on Tuesday, I think. Steelers just got there.

Not sure what the best approach is. I was in the UK for 9 days in May and never adjusted to the time change.

I was just there for 2 weeks in august.  Got in around 10 pm, stayed out until dawn, slept most of the next day, was fine after that.  I doubt the the Steelers take this approach.  Ben, maybe.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2013 at 20:16 »

FFS. I am from jersey and it's hard to believe that the steelers' last meaningful win was like a day/week after Sandy (the day the Steelers flew in and flew out). Fucking pathetic.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2013 at 01:46 by scballersc » Logged
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2013 at 11:22 »

Steelers inactives: QB Jones, WR Moye, RB Redman, CB Green, CB Blake, C/G Wallace, NT Fangupo
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

Re:
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2013 at 15:16 »

Well, that predictably sucked. Ben's new nickname is "Big Tease."

- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2013 at 15:18 »

Sigh.  At least Bell looked good.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2013 at 15:24 »

I'm pretty sure you can't take a sack on that play.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Sep 29, 2013 at 17:45 »

I'm pretty sure you can't take a sack on that play.

Really.

Steelers kept in the game, showed some zippity-do moving the ball down the field.  Still, I took a moment from re-hanging cabinet doors to hear the final minute with absolutely 100% confidence that they would fuck it up.  I remember the day when Ben with 2 minutes (more/less) would inspire confidence that the Steelers would get that score for the win or tie.  Now, it's just an exercise in HOW we will fuck up. 

Some nice weapons: Bell, Brown, Heat; hopefully Wheaton; some few bright spots on the OL.  But mostly the OL looks like an abomination, wondering if we should throw in the towel on young guys like Adams.  Quite seriously thinking Ward could come back and help this team for a year.

The defense missing tackles by the handful disgusts me.  Lack of turnovers, want to take a giant Zamir Cobb.  Still, could be worse, could be the Giants.  They're showing nothing, and have the equivalent talent and coaching pedigree.  WTF zup witat?  Do we play them this year?  Please?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Sep 29, 2013 at 18:13 »

But mostly the OL looks like an abomination, wondering if we should throw in the towel on young guys like Adams. 

Looked to my untrained eye like the interior OL showed some improvement this week.  All of the rush seemed to be coming from the edges, but Ben often had room to step up - after which he would then run around forever refusing to throw the ball away and save some yardage, but I digress.  Tackles, however, are lost.  Adams cannot handle an edge rusher with any speed, which as LT you will get every week.

Faintest of pulses from what appears to be some stability at RB for the first time in a few years, Brown is growing into the #1 WR role (although we have no serious deep threat yet -no one is separating, and Ben is not accurate enough to hit it if it is open), Heat looks same as ever.  And, most significantly, the rest of our division sucks almost as bad as we do.

Story of the season thus far - the strip fumble that bounces all around and instead of being our first turnover of the season and a huge momentum shift, ends up giving Minny a first down and eventually a FG at the end of the half; our indifference to trying to answer in the final minute of said first half; and the final play of the game.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2013 at 19:55 »

Well the offense looked good enough to win the game. The defense couldn't stop Minny at all. I'm tired of QB's like Cassel looking like All Pros..

Adams is a steaming pile of dog shit. I can't fathom why he is still allowed to be on the field.

I am also tired of this team coming out not prepared to play, and that's on Tomlin. No urgency, no playing like you're 0-3. You can not expect to win games when you go behind by double digits every effing first quarter.

Ben needs to learn home to throw the ball away. There is no way he should be taking sacks outside the tackle box.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2013 at 08:41 »

Jon Gruden still thinks Cushion Me Ike is just awesome!
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Sep 30, 2013 at 11:49 »

Looked to my untrained eye like the interior OL showed some improvement this week.  All of the rush seemed to be coming from the edges, but Ben often had room to step up - after which he would then run around forever refusing to throw the ball away and save some yardage, but I digress.  Tackles, however, are lost.  Adams cannot handle an edge rusher with any speed, which as LT you will get every week.

TBH, I thought the O-line did a decent job too.  Seemed like BR had a pocket to step up into most of the time.  Doesn't mean he always did.  At this point, you have to wonder if he's just getting gun shy back there running from real and perceived pressure.  I mean, #7 was sacked what...5 times, I think?  At least 2 or 3 of them were on him.  Throw the ball away.  Run for 4 or 5 and slide.  Throw it away.  Do something, man.  It's one thing to "let Ben be Ben," but at some point, you gotta let things go to fight on the next play.  IMO, we're kinda back to every pass play feeling like it's a broken play that's drawn up in the sand.  There's no rhythm.  No tempo.  No consistency.  At least, for pass plays beyond 5 yards from the LOS.  The WR screens are the only ones that appear to go off when they're intended.  The other ones are drop back, look, look, pump, look, look, dance, scramble, pump, scramble, scramble, throw.  Again, no rhythm.  Yeah, the line has been shit, but goddamn if a lot of the problems don't seem to fall on BR's shoulders.  He's nowhere near as accurate as he's been in the past either.  Sometimes he drops 'em right in the basket, while other throws sail wildly.  His WRs have bailed him out on several passes.  I recall AB making a couple acrobatic catches and I think a few went off Sanders' and Cotchery's fingertips.

Overall, I thought the playcalling was OK.  Bell and the WRs/TEs looked good.  O-line wasn't outstanding, but was nowhere near as bad as it's been lately and definitely not as bad as it's being portrayed in the media (ZOMG!!!...Five sacks!!!...Ben was running for his life behind a horrid offensive line!!!)  At the end of the day, I'm not as concerned about the offense as I am about this defense.  Getting Heath and Bell back is going to help a lot.  Velasco has definitely mitigated the loss of Pouncey, but now Foster might be done too with a torn pec.  See what happens there.  Offensively, Ben needs to do more and by that I don't mean he needs to throw more, he needs to do a better job of making the guys around him better.  He needs to work on his responsibilities and he needs to do whatever it takes to get the most out of those around him.  Stop bitching and moaning; work on your throws to be more accurate and make better decisions with the ball.  Get rid of it faster, don't be afraid to use your feet as a weapon and FFS, protect the ball in traffic.

This defense, though...it doesn't scare anybody.  AP is a beast, but all those missed tackles are downright embarrassing.  It wasn't that long ago that this defense carried the "it's been 20 something or however many games since a RB had 100 YDS against us" mantra.  They get gashed on the regular now.  The guys upfront are servicable at best and that kinda includes the entire front seven.  Can't stop the run.  Can't put pressure on the QB.  Bad combination.  The secondary is OK, but it would be nice if somebody could make a pick (yeah Ike, I'm talking to you...).  The defensive approach of keep everything in front of you and don't give up a big play kinda works if the guys up front are applying pressure.  Unfortunately, they're not doing that because guys like Woodley, Jones and Worilds are easily neutralized one on one.

*sigh*

I guess this is what it feels like to be a Brown fan up until this year.  That might be the biggest annoyance about this start.  The division is there for the taking.  2-2 leads.  Think about that.  The Browns lead the division with Hoyer at QB.  If Pittsburgh could've gotten a win yesterday, they'd be one fucking game out of first place.  Normally, I'd be bitching about a Week 5 bye, but not this year.  It gives me an extra week to wait and see if they fall to 0-5.

Again, these guys have forgotten how to win.  I'm very interested to see how they respond to being "one of the worst teams in the league."  Adversity doesn't build character...it reveals it.  Yeah, Ben...you guys suck.  What are you guys gonna do about it?  You gonna rally the troops and come together or are you gonna sit around, have a pity party, point fingers and place blame?

[/rant]

Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2013 at 13:08 »

Minor point, but still: It's long past time to bench that crybaby Sanders and put Cotchery in the starting lineup. I hope I've seen the last of Sanders stopping to pout while an interception return is in progress. Actually, really I hope I've seen the last of Ben bothering to throw to him at all.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2013 at 13:11 »

Good points, all.  I had to listen to the radio broadcast on some crappy portable - quality was bad, but I was doing some kitchen renovation work and got the gist.  Three and out, punt.  Long TD to Jennings.  Long TD by AP.  Gotcha.  

Been said before, this team lacks an identity.  No lead in the pencil, and no easy pill to fix it.  D scares no one, O shows flashes but is about as coherent as Lawrence Taylor is nowadays.  

Any guesses on when we get that first win?  Jets, after the bye?  Ravens?  

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2013 at 13:15 »

Minor point, but still: It's long past time to bench that crybaby Sanders and put Cotchery in the starting lineup. I hope I've seen the last of Sanders stopping to pout while an interception return is in progress. Actually, really I hope I've seen the last of Ben bothering to throw to him at all.

A third round draft pick from the Patsies sounds like it would have been good value for Sanders after all.  How many games does it take to get him on the same page with Ben, FFS?  Wonder what they'd give now?  Big, big disappointment, thought he was poised for a big season.

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2013 at 14:56 »

DeCastro and Adams are the absolute worst.  Anyone see Decastro, more than once, when pulling on a running play avoid picking up the defender coming through the hole and push on the TE's back to help him block?  Unbelievable.  Adams, nuff said.  He was deserving of CBS throwing him under the bus with multiple slo-mo replays of him getting "it" handed to him.

I thought the play calling was decent.  The first two weeks were worse than when Arians was around.

I can't believe Woodley is such a non-factor.  I really really can't believe that.  Clark is playing uncharacteristically poor, Troy is everywhere, but didn't have much impact yesterday, and "cushion me Ike" is,, well, Ike.  When It's 3rd and 5, he'll play a 10 yard cushion, but for 1st and ten, he is one yard off the los.  Seems to me less likely to get beat deep on 3rd and 5 vs 1st and 10.  I think Kiesel is the only one exceeding expectations on D.

Ben is Ben.  He needs to make his throwing motion part of his 3 step drop, at least inside the red zone.  I stated the obvious that the only thing that couldn't happen was taking a sack on what turned out to be the last offensive play.

I also like the Steeler "hurry-up" offense that takes 35 seconds to get a play off.  Geezus, Manning is out there playing charades at the los and snaps the ball with 15 seconds on the clock.  That's in non hurry-up offense.  Steelers could add 6 minutes to the game clock by just being mildly proficient on their offensive possessions.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Sep 30, 2013 at 17:03 »

HIRE LAYNE KLIFFIN!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Sep 30, 2013 at 19:03 »

I also like the Steeler "hurry-up" offense that takes 35 seconds to get a play off.  Geezus, Manning is out there playing charades at the los and snaps the ball with 15 seconds on the clock.  That's in non hurry-up offense.  Steelers could add 6 minutes to the game clock by just being mildly proficient on their offensive possessions.

Or, how about Brady keeping the NE offense humming along with castoffs, UDFAs and some dude that was working a car wash last week?  Granted, their O-line is better than Pittsburgh's, but that's also why I'm not willing to give #7 a pass.  He's got weapons around him.  He just needs to execute better.

I can't believe Woodley is such a non-factor.  I really really can't believe that.  Clark is playing uncharacteristically poor,

Me neither and it really pains me to say it.  And, the kicker is it's not like he's getting doubled or chipped on every play or anything.  He just can't beat the OTs.  I even saw him get stoned by a TE, but I can't remember who.  It seems like pretty much the entire defense (with maybe the exception of Keisel, Troy and occasionally Timmons) can't seem to win any of those individual battles.  That adds up to bein' a doormat.  That ain't good.

All Clark has been doing is throwing his body around the field using his patented poor tackling, launch-my-body-at-the-ball-carrier form.

Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2013 at 08:01 »

but that's also why I'm not willing to give #7 a pass.  He's got weapons around him.  He just needs to execute better.

I think it's impossible to evaluate Ben's performance right now. He's played without professional-level tackles, running backs, or tight ends (of which he now has exactly one), and one of his starting WRs is a whiny-ass bitch who can't catch. One blogger counted that Ben was hit 24 times in the Vikings game alone.

Do I add that Ben's also playing with a mentally ill offensive coordinator, and the O-line coach Tomlin hired is worth less than a sack of onions? Tomlin/Haley's clock management and use of the no-huddle is also at lobotomy-level intelligence.

I'm not worried about Ben, except that he'll be crippled by the end of the year or run out of town prematurely.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2013 at 11:22 »

Tomlin, Haley, the o-line make Ben carry the ball like it's the severed head of medusa?  I don't think so.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Oct 01, 2013 at 12:08 »

I think it's impossible to evaluate Ben's performance right now. He's played without professional-level tackles, running backs, or tight ends (of which he now has exactly one), and one of his starting WRs is a whiny-ass bitch who can't catch. One blogger counted that Ben was hit 24 times in the Vikings game alone.

Do I add that Ben's also playing with a mentally ill offensive coordinator, and the O-line coach Tomlin hired is worth less than a sack of onions? Tomlin/Haley's clock management and use of the no-huddle is also at lobotomy-level intelligence.

I'm not worried about Ben, except that he'll be crippled by the end of the year or run out of town prematurely.

*best Lumberg voice*

"Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with that..."

I'm sorry.  #7 hasn't played well and placing blame everywhere else except on him doesn't help matters.  He's been inconsistent and erratic with his throws; he's making poor decisions; and he's not executing the offense well.  I'll admit that there are times where protection breaks down and he's forced to have to make lemonade outta shit, but when you're doing it every other time you drop back because you can't hit a receiver in rhythm, make the right read or just settle for what the defense is giving you, it's on the QB.

To me, I'm seeing more of the kind of offense that Ben likes to run (i.e. everything is a big, splashy play and he always looks to go vertical) instead of what Haley tried to instill last year.  People bitch and moan about that system, but he was playing like an MVP; great TD:INT ratio, less sacks, less hits on the QB, got rid of the ball quickly, high percentage strikes, etc.  IMO, they've gone away from that.  Factor in the giveaways (8 through 4 games this year versus 13 in 13 games last year) and well, it's a recipe for disaster and a big reason for 0-4.

scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #26 on: Oct 01, 2013 at 15:59 »

Some observations that respond to, agree with, or diagree with what was said above:

1. BBR needs to learn how to throw the ball away.  If that is not possible (thanks to Mike Adams) please tuck the f*cking thing away.  By my count, he's fumbled the ball three times to date; none of the fumbles were your ordinary blind side, strip sack of the QB either.

2. Tomlin.  You haven't a clue how to management down and distance or the clock (or to motivate your team).  I am available for hire.

3. Michael Adams.  You are all kinds of slow and weak.  Marginal starting right tackle at best.  I still do not understand why we reached  on you, but I suspect it was the "come to Jesus" sit down you had with Tomlin.  An aside: Marcus Gilbert should love you to death, because so long as your pass-rusher gets to BBR first, his does not.

4. Manny Sanders is still playing college ball.

5. DeCastros' inability to locate a target on the goalline does not concern me.  He looks very much improved.  Relatedly, do not ask your guard to pull and make a blocked in the 3/5 hole on the goalline.  A trap block yes, a full on pull no.

6. Le'veon Bell looked "good" because he can find his way into the endzone from 1-5 yards out.  I sure as f*ck hope I am wrong about you.

7. Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward: Ziggy, where have you been.  Cameron, welcome to the NFL; it's only been three years.

8. Woodley has improved upon last season, which is ridiculously uncomplementary if you know what I mean.

9. I still do not understand how Ike Taylor played WR in college (or at any level for that matter).

10. Suisham for team MVP again.  Or perhaps "the punter for the Patriots last season" (-Jim Nantz) is our team MVP.

11. Good point above about Todd Haley's offensive gameplan really devolving into BBR's offensive gameplan.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2013 at 16:39 by scballersc » Logged
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Oct 02, 2013 at 06:49 »

Ravens send some late round pics to get Eugene Monroe.

Me, I'd rather suffer through Mike Adams at LT and draft a bunch of nothings in R4-7 that will either be cut, practice squadders, or not worth having on the roster.

Smart.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Oct 02, 2013 at 07:44 »

Ravens send some late round pics to get Eugene Monroe.

Me, I'd rather suffer through Mike Adams at LT and draft a bunch of nothings in R4-7 that will either be cut, practice squadders, or not worth having on the roster.

Smart.

Ozzie bein' Ozzie.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: