Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 01, 2014 at 22:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 4 - Sept. 26 - Pittsburgh @ Minnesota (London)  (Read 3491 times)
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2013 at 15:18 »

Sigh.  At least Bell looked good.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2013 at 15:24 »

I'm pretty sure you can't take a sack on that play.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Sep 29, 2013 at 17:45 »

I'm pretty sure you can't take a sack on that play.

Really.

Steelers kept in the game, showed some zippity-do moving the ball down the field.  Still, I took a moment from re-hanging cabinet doors to hear the final minute with absolutely 100% confidence that they would fuck it up.  I remember the day when Ben with 2 minutes (more/less) would inspire confidence that the Steelers would get that score for the win or tie.  Now, it's just an exercise in HOW we will fuck up. 

Some nice weapons: Bell, Brown, Heat; hopefully Wheaton; some few bright spots on the OL.  But mostly the OL looks like an abomination, wondering if we should throw in the towel on young guys like Adams.  Quite seriously thinking Ward could come back and help this team for a year.

The defense missing tackles by the handful disgusts me.  Lack of turnovers, want to take a giant Zamir Cobb.  Still, could be worse, could be the Giants.  They're showing nothing, and have the equivalent talent and coaching pedigree.  WTF zup witat?  Do we play them this year?  Please?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Sep 29, 2013 at 18:13 »

But mostly the OL looks like an abomination, wondering if we should throw in the towel on young guys like Adams. 

Looked to my untrained eye like the interior OL showed some improvement this week.  All of the rush seemed to be coming from the edges, but Ben often had room to step up - after which he would then run around forever refusing to throw the ball away and save some yardage, but I digress.  Tackles, however, are lost.  Adams cannot handle an edge rusher with any speed, which as LT you will get every week.

Faintest of pulses from what appears to be some stability at RB for the first time in a few years, Brown is growing into the #1 WR role (although we have no serious deep threat yet -no one is separating, and Ben is not accurate enough to hit it if it is open), Heat looks same as ever.  And, most significantly, the rest of our division sucks almost as bad as we do.

Story of the season thus far - the strip fumble that bounces all around and instead of being our first turnover of the season and a huge momentum shift, ends up giving Minny a first down and eventually a FG at the end of the half; our indifference to trying to answer in the final minute of said first half; and the final play of the game.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Sep 29, 2013 at 19:55 »

Well the offense looked good enough to win the game. The defense couldn't stop Minny at all. I'm tired of QB's like Cassel looking like All Pros..

Adams is a steaming pile of dog shit. I can't fathom why he is still allowed to be on the field.

I am also tired of this team coming out not prepared to play, and that's on Tomlin. No urgency, no playing like you're 0-3. You can not expect to win games when you go behind by double digits every effing first quarter.

Ben needs to learn home to throw the ball away. There is no way he should be taking sacks outside the tackle box.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2013 at 08:41 »

Jon Gruden still thinks Cushion Me Ike is just awesome!
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Sep 30, 2013 at 11:49 »

Looked to my untrained eye like the interior OL showed some improvement this week.  All of the rush seemed to be coming from the edges, but Ben often had room to step up - after which he would then run around forever refusing to throw the ball away and save some yardage, but I digress.  Tackles, however, are lost.  Adams cannot handle an edge rusher with any speed, which as LT you will get every week.

TBH, I thought the O-line did a decent job too.  Seemed like BR had a pocket to step up into most of the time.  Doesn't mean he always did.  At this point, you have to wonder if he's just getting gun shy back there running from real and perceived pressure.  I mean, #7 was sacked what...5 times, I think?  At least 2 or 3 of them were on him.  Throw the ball away.  Run for 4 or 5 and slide.  Throw it away.  Do something, man.  It's one thing to "let Ben be Ben," but at some point, you gotta let things go to fight on the next play.  IMO, we're kinda back to every pass play feeling like it's a broken play that's drawn up in the sand.  There's no rhythm.  No tempo.  No consistency.  At least, for pass plays beyond 5 yards from the LOS.  The WR screens are the only ones that appear to go off when they're intended.  The other ones are drop back, look, look, pump, look, look, dance, scramble, pump, scramble, scramble, throw.  Again, no rhythm.  Yeah, the line has been shit, but goddamn if a lot of the problems don't seem to fall on BR's shoulders.  He's nowhere near as accurate as he's been in the past either.  Sometimes he drops 'em right in the basket, while other throws sail wildly.  His WRs have bailed him out on several passes.  I recall AB making a couple acrobatic catches and I think a few went off Sanders' and Cotchery's fingertips.

Overall, I thought the playcalling was OK.  Bell and the WRs/TEs looked good.  O-line wasn't outstanding, but was nowhere near as bad as it's been lately and definitely not as bad as it's being portrayed in the media (ZOMG!!!...Five sacks!!!...Ben was running for his life behind a horrid offensive line!!!)  At the end of the day, I'm not as concerned about the offense as I am about this defense.  Getting Heath and Bell back is going to help a lot.  Velasco has definitely mitigated the loss of Pouncey, but now Foster might be done too with a torn pec.  See what happens there.  Offensively, Ben needs to do more and by that I don't mean he needs to throw more, he needs to do a better job of making the guys around him better.  He needs to work on his responsibilities and he needs to do whatever it takes to get the most out of those around him.  Stop bitching and moaning; work on your throws to be more accurate and make better decisions with the ball.  Get rid of it faster, don't be afraid to use your feet as a weapon and FFS, protect the ball in traffic.

This defense, though...it doesn't scare anybody.  AP is a beast, but all those missed tackles are downright embarrassing.  It wasn't that long ago that this defense carried the "it's been 20 something or however many games since a RB had 100 YDS against us" mantra.  They get gashed on the regular now.  The guys upfront are servicable at best and that kinda includes the entire front seven.  Can't stop the run.  Can't put pressure on the QB.  Bad combination.  The secondary is OK, but it would be nice if somebody could make a pick (yeah Ike, I'm talking to you...).  The defensive approach of keep everything in front of you and don't give up a big play kinda works if the guys up front are applying pressure.  Unfortunately, they're not doing that because guys like Woodley, Jones and Worilds are easily neutralized one on one.

*sigh*

I guess this is what it feels like to be a Brown fan up until this year.  That might be the biggest annoyance about this start.  The division is there for the taking.  2-2 leads.  Think about that.  The Browns lead the division with Hoyer at QB.  If Pittsburgh could've gotten a win yesterday, they'd be one fucking game out of first place.  Normally, I'd be bitching about a Week 5 bye, but not this year.  It gives me an extra week to wait and see if they fall to 0-5.

Again, these guys have forgotten how to win.  I'm very interested to see how they respond to being "one of the worst teams in the league."  Adversity doesn't build character...it reveals it.  Yeah, Ben...you guys suck.  What are you guys gonna do about it?  You gonna rally the troops and come together or are you gonna sit around, have a pity party, point fingers and place blame?

[/rant]

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #17 on: Sep 30, 2013 at 13:08 »

Minor point, but still: It's long past time to bench that crybaby Sanders and put Cotchery in the starting lineup. I hope I've seen the last of Sanders stopping to pout while an interception return is in progress. Actually, really I hope I've seen the last of Ben bothering to throw to him at all.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Sep 30, 2013 at 13:11 »

Good points, all.  I had to listen to the radio broadcast on some crappy portable - quality was bad, but I was doing some kitchen renovation work and got the gist.  Three and out, punt.  Long TD to Jennings.  Long TD by AP.  Gotcha.  

Been said before, this team lacks an identity.  No lead in the pencil, and no easy pill to fix it.  D scares no one, O shows flashes but is about as coherent as Lawrence Taylor is nowadays.  

Any guesses on when we get that first win?  Jets, after the bye?  Ravens?  

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Sep 30, 2013 at 13:15 »

Minor point, but still: It's long past time to bench that crybaby Sanders and put Cotchery in the starting lineup. I hope I've seen the last of Sanders stopping to pout while an interception return is in progress. Actually, really I hope I've seen the last of Ben bothering to throw to him at all.

A third round draft pick from the Patsies sounds like it would have been good value for Sanders after all.  How many games does it take to get him on the same page with Ben, FFS?  Wonder what they'd give now?  Big, big disappointment, thought he was poised for a big season.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: