Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 27, 2014 at 12:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 4 - Sept. 26 - Pittsburgh @ Minnesota (London)  (Read 4300 times)
Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Sep 30, 2013 at 14:56 »

DeCastro and Adams are the absolute worst.  Anyone see Decastro, more than once, when pulling on a running play avoid picking up the defender coming through the hole and push on the TE's back to help him block?  Unbelievable.  Adams, nuff said.  He was deserving of CBS throwing him under the bus with multiple slo-mo replays of him getting "it" handed to him.

I thought the play calling was decent.  The first two weeks were worse than when Arians was around.

I can't believe Woodley is such a non-factor.  I really really can't believe that.  Clark is playing uncharacteristically poor, Troy is everywhere, but didn't have much impact yesterday, and "cushion me Ike" is,, well, Ike.  When It's 3rd and 5, he'll play a 10 yard cushion, but for 1st and ten, he is one yard off the los.  Seems to me less likely to get beat deep on 3rd and 5 vs 1st and 10.  I think Kiesel is the only one exceeding expectations on D.

Ben is Ben.  He needs to make his throwing motion part of his 3 step drop, at least inside the red zone.  I stated the obvious that the only thing that couldn't happen was taking a sack on what turned out to be the last offensive play.

I also like the Steeler "hurry-up" offense that takes 35 seconds to get a play off.  Geezus, Manning is out there playing charades at the los and snaps the ball with 15 seconds on the clock.  That's in non hurry-up offense.  Steelers could add 6 minutes to the game clock by just being mildly proficient on their offensive possessions.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Sep 30, 2013 at 17:03 »

HIRE LAYNE KLIFFIN!!!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Sep 30, 2013 at 19:03 »

I also like the Steeler "hurry-up" offense that takes 35 seconds to get a play off.  Geezus, Manning is out there playing charades at the los and snaps the ball with 15 seconds on the clock.  That's in non hurry-up offense.  Steelers could add 6 minutes to the game clock by just being mildly proficient on their offensive possessions.

Or, how about Brady keeping the NE offense humming along with castoffs, UDFAs and some dude that was working a car wash last week?  Granted, their O-line is better than Pittsburgh's, but that's also why I'm not willing to give #7 a pass.  He's got weapons around him.  He just needs to execute better.

I can't believe Woodley is such a non-factor.  I really really can't believe that.  Clark is playing uncharacteristically poor,

Me neither and it really pains me to say it.  And, the kicker is it's not like he's getting doubled or chipped on every play or anything.  He just can't beat the OTs.  I even saw him get stoned by a TE, but I can't remember who.  It seems like pretty much the entire defense (with maybe the exception of Keisel, Troy and occasionally Timmons) can't seem to win any of those individual battles.  That adds up to bein' a doormat.  That ain't good.

All Clark has been doing is throwing his body around the field using his patented poor tackling, launch-my-body-at-the-ball-carrier form.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #23 on: Oct 01, 2013 at 08:01 »

but that's also why I'm not willing to give #7 a pass.  He's got weapons around him.  He just needs to execute better.

I think it's impossible to evaluate Ben's performance right now. He's played without professional-level tackles, running backs, or tight ends (of which he now has exactly one), and one of his starting WRs is a whiny-ass bitch who can't catch. One blogger counted that Ben was hit 24 times in the Vikings game alone.

Do I add that Ben's also playing with a mentally ill offensive coordinator, and the O-line coach Tomlin hired is worth less than a sack of onions? Tomlin/Haley's clock management and use of the no-huddle is also at lobotomy-level intelligence.

I'm not worried about Ben, except that he'll be crippled by the end of the year or run out of town prematurely.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Oct 01, 2013 at 11:22 »

Tomlin, Haley, the o-line make Ben carry the ball like it's the severed head of medusa?  I don't think so.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Oct 01, 2013 at 12:08 »

I think it's impossible to evaluate Ben's performance right now. He's played without professional-level tackles, running backs, or tight ends (of which he now has exactly one), and one of his starting WRs is a whiny-ass bitch who can't catch. One blogger counted that Ben was hit 24 times in the Vikings game alone.

Do I add that Ben's also playing with a mentally ill offensive coordinator, and the O-line coach Tomlin hired is worth less than a sack of onions? Tomlin/Haley's clock management and use of the no-huddle is also at lobotomy-level intelligence.

I'm not worried about Ben, except that he'll be crippled by the end of the year or run out of town prematurely.

*best Lumberg voice*

"Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with that..."

I'm sorry.  #7 hasn't played well and placing blame everywhere else except on him doesn't help matters.  He's been inconsistent and erratic with his throws; he's making poor decisions; and he's not executing the offense well.  I'll admit that there are times where protection breaks down and he's forced to have to make lemonade outta shit, but when you're doing it every other time you drop back because you can't hit a receiver in rhythm, make the right read or just settle for what the defense is giving you, it's on the QB.

To me, I'm seeing more of the kind of offense that Ben likes to run (i.e. everything is a big, splashy play and he always looks to go vertical) instead of what Haley tried to instill last year.  People bitch and moan about that system, but he was playing like an MVP; great TD:INT ratio, less sacks, less hits on the QB, got rid of the ball quickly, high percentage strikes, etc.  IMO, they've gone away from that.  Factor in the giveaways (8 through 4 games this year versus 13 in 13 games last year) and well, it's a recipe for disaster and a big reason for 0-4.

scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #26 on: Oct 01, 2013 at 15:59 »

Some observations that respond to, agree with, or diagree with what was said above:

1. BBR needs to learn how to throw the ball away.  If that is not possible (thanks to Mike Adams) please tuck the f*cking thing away.  By my count, he's fumbled the ball three times to date; none of the fumbles were your ordinary blind side, strip sack of the QB either.

2. Tomlin.  You haven't a clue how to management down and distance or the clock (or to motivate your team).  I am available for hire.

3. Michael Adams.  You are all kinds of slow and weak.  Marginal starting right tackle at best.  I still do not understand why we reached  on you, but I suspect it was the "come to Jesus" sit down you had with Tomlin.  An aside: Marcus Gilbert should love you to death, because so long as your pass-rusher gets to BBR first, his does not.

4. Manny Sanders is still playing college ball.

5. DeCastros' inability to locate a target on the goalline does not concern me.  He looks very much improved.  Relatedly, do not ask your guard to pull and make a blocked in the 3/5 hole on the goalline.  A trap block yes, a full on pull no.

6. Le'veon Bell looked "good" because he can find his way into the endzone from 1-5 yards out.  I sure as f*ck hope I am wrong about you.

7. Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward: Ziggy, where have you been.  Cameron, welcome to the NFL; it's only been three years.

8. Woodley has improved upon last season, which is ridiculously uncomplementary if you know what I mean.

9. I still do not understand how Ike Taylor played WR in college (or at any level for that matter).

10. Suisham for team MVP again.  Or perhaps "the punter for the Patriots last season" (-Jim Nantz) is our team MVP.

11. Good point above about Todd Haley's offensive gameplan really devolving into BBR's offensive gameplan.
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2013 at 16:39 by scballersc » Logged
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Oct 02, 2013 at 06:49 »

Ravens send some late round pics to get Eugene Monroe.

Me, I'd rather suffer through Mike Adams at LT and draft a bunch of nothings in R4-7 that will either be cut, practice squadders, or not worth having on the roster.

Smart.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Oct 02, 2013 at 07:44 »

Ravens send some late round pics to get Eugene Monroe.

Me, I'd rather suffer through Mike Adams at LT and draft a bunch of nothings in R4-7 that will either be cut, practice squadders, or not worth having on the roster.

Smart.

Ozzie bein' Ozzie.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: