As noted at length elsewhere, we have no LT. Beachum was owned and abused, as was Gilbert, although both settled down some once we got some momentum. There is zero push up the middle on power runs. And zero run stoppage in the middle of the DL. Is it my imagination or was the Heyward-Hood bookend combo the best tried this year? Nothing against the Beard.
Gay was looking to jump routes multiple times. Missed; but I haven't seen our DBs do that
much at all this year, so, good on him. Clark shoulda had two, and the pressure was getting us opportunities. Vince Williams had some hits and misses, but I like his ability to diagnose and close on the ball. We'll see.
Refereeing was atrocious on that 3rd FG: Antonio Cromartie, who was barnacling AB all day long, basically punched him in the facemask before the bobbled ball that shoulda been a TD: no call on that, of course, just good defense, right? And the late hit on Ben, if that were Beardy, Goodell would have had the guy burned at the stake and would have been sopping Beardy's parched lips with a cold towel. Some other BS calls I can't remember.
I'll take a win. Feel better if we can actually beat the Ravens, who appear very beatable, next week. Since I focused all week on negatives, gonna stay on the positive tip:
1. Ben running the ball. I think injuries have made him gun-shy, but he can still scramble and lower the boom on DBs.
2. Bell. I think he's going to keep getting better. Nice hands in the pass game, not enough holes to exploit, but came back from the foot injury and showed some grit and determination. I like this kid.
3. Gay. Whipping-boy, but showing some instincts to go for the pick.
4. Pola. Hasn't had a ton of wow plays or turnovers, but he's flying around, hitting guys hard, looking like the Troy of old.
5. AB. AB is a fucking monster.
6. Sanders. Did NOT drop the ball. If he can keep doing this while AB does his thing, we have a potent offense.
7. Haley. A lot of same old same old, but on that TD and a few other calls, he was looking downfield. Plus the trickery with AB tossing showed that Haley's not just stuck in a box. Honestly, I don't think Haley's the major part of the problem.
8. Swiss Ham. Money.
9. Heath. Money, all damned day long. He's lost some speed? Really? Looked pretty fucking chippy and zippy to these old eyes.
10. Heyward. Some flashes from Woodley, Worilds, Jarvis, and even Ziggy, but IMO Heyward was really pushing the pocket and getting some pressure on the QB, helping to lead to incompletions and turnovers. I want to see more. More of this.