Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 21, 2014 at 18:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arians trading Levi Brown to Steelers  (Read 2605 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2013 at 18:09 »

We lose nothing, WRT draft picks. 

Just kick half a mill out the door for Levi to come here and whack his triceps.

I can do that for a quarter mill.  Just sayin'.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Oct 16, 2013 at 11:39 »

My point is, how do you incur a season ending tricep injury...during warmups?

There was a lot of talk about IR and the amount of players on it yesterday on the sirius NFL Movin' the Chains.  Pat Kirwin made a lot of very interesting and valid points.  Long story short, he kind of felt that IR is being abused by teams and players.  As of yesterday, there was something like 180-190+ players (IIRC) listed on season ending IR.  If you figure average cost of 1MIL per player (which is probably on the low side when you have several big name, big priced stars on it too), that's nearly 200 million dollars that's being shelled out to players for wearing the grays.  The kicker?  It's only Week 6.  I believe they said that the amount of players on IR this year is already approaching the total number from 2012.  So, does that mean they could flirt with 300 players by the time the season is up?  Crazy to think about it that way.

Now, obviously there are guys on there that are totally deserving of the benefit; the ACLs, Achilles', etc., but how many are taking advantage of the system and skating by?  They guessed that probably 20-25% of those guys on IR would be playing sometime late in the year instead of sitting out 2013 if they weren't getting paid to be a cheerleader.  It's something that they definitely need to look at for the next labor agreement because it's a lotta goddamned coin being shelled out for guys that could probably get back out there, but don't.  They take the "safe" route.  It doesn't exactly fall in line with the whole player safety approach, but at the same time, you have to be careful that the pendulum doesn't swing too far in the other direction.

I'm not trying to minimize what happened to Brown because a tricep tear is no joke, but seriously...during warmups?  It just made me think of their talk.  Wrist injury?  IR'd.  Foot?  IR.  Tweaked the hammy?  Hmm, not sure.  Better go on IR to be safe.  Toe?  Well geez, is it the pinky or big toe?  If it's the pinky we can probably conditionally IR him so he might be ready in six weeks, but if it's the big toe, well, he done.

Some of that is obviously hyperbole, but...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Oct 16, 2013 at 14:16 »

I gave myself a hernia straining too hard taking a Kashi dump...

Yeah, I dunno how you eff your tricep during warmups, unless warming up involves hanging anvils on your triceps with hooks or something.  DJ messed up the wrist that badly warming up... probably practicing somersaults into the end zone...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #13 on: Oct 16, 2013 at 15:11 »

Brown skipped the pre-game pre-warm-ups warm-ups.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2013 at 15:11 »

Simms blathered some shit about him doing it fireouts or something during the broadcast.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: