Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 15:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roethlisberger on Brown  (Read 1241 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Oct 02, 2013 at 21:42 »

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-acquire-levi-brown-in-trade-from-arizona-705810/#ixzz2gceIXq66

"We'll see," Roethlisberger said. "It depends on how much work he wants to put in. How much does he want to be here? Is he going to be here all weekend? Does he want to put the time and effort into be that guy? Who knows if he is that guy? Is it Beachum or Mike? We don't know. I guess it will be a matter if he can learn the offense when he gets here."

Questions the guy's work ethic before his first practice, nice. I threw out an old pair of odor eaters the other day that had more brains than #7.  Criticism of teammates is not the same thing as leadership.

Just play football and STFU.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2013 at 23:53 »

Yes, he's frustrated. Yes, this team is bad. Yes, it's hard to imagine that Bruce Arians would trade a true asset to the team that fired him. Yes, it's hard for any of us to imagine that Brown is that good.

But my goodness, just keep your mouth shut. This is Belichick time: "We hope he can come in here and help us." Or just a "We'll see what happens."

Speaking your mind is not a bad thing. But it's preferable to start using your mind before you speak it.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2013 at 06:13 »

I'm hoping that Arians' man-love for Ben is the reason this trade was made. Maybe Arians' is trying to help Ben more so than the team. Because if the pass protection doesn't get any better, Roethlisberger may not make it through the season alive.

Still, considering Arians' QB isn't exactly the most mobile or sturdy QB around, it doesn't bode well that AZ is willing to part with this particular LT.

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2013 at 08:34 »

+1.

Sounds a lot like Ben's comments when Bell was slated to be back in the lineup.  A little adversity and his attitude goes to shit.

The Steelers have a mandated four days off during the off week, but it's unclear at the moment if those rules apply to Brown and how much classroom work he would be able to put in with coaches over the next four days.

Brown won't be able to practice with his new teammates until Monday, when the rest of the players return from their short vacation.

SMH.

The Steelers will send a conditional draft pick or picks to the Cardinals in exchange. The Steelers are obligated to pay his salary of $4.75 million this season. He also is to earn $6 million in 2014.

Probably played a big part in why he got traded.  Get something for him now because his cost exceeded his worth.  If they have a yout ready to replace him, he was probably gonna be a cap casualty next year anyway.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 03, 2013 at 08:35 »

How much does he want to be here?

As much as anyone wants to be on a mistake-prone 0-4 team.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2013 at 10:33 »

Roethlisberger elaborated on his earlier comments about incoming tackle Levi Brown.  "Hey, I wasn't questioning the guy's work ethic or his ability to play.  Sure, he had a rough ride in Arizona, and most of the film I've seen on him has been pretty bad, but I like hangin' with my O-line, Willie, Max, some of the other NFL rejects - Peg Leg Pete, Todd the Turnstile, Wally the Quivering Ectoplasm...  We tend to get close.  We go to bars together, eat at those Brazilian steak houses, have fart-lighting competitions, steal Keisel's truck and parking it a few miles away.  Good stuff.  But I was just wondering about Levi, is he going to be putting in extra hours in the film room?  Is he the kind of guy who's going to stay after practice and get those extra reps in?  Because, man, I don't have time for all that.  I punch the clock, I go.  Too much of that stuff makes my head hurt."

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2013 at 13:23 »

They should immediately quarantine Levi.  He's probably been hollowed out and filled to the duodenum with ricin caplets, just waiting to puhsplode all over everyone.  I mean, if I were Bruce Hairyarms...

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2013 at 16:53 »

If it were up to Ben, we'd have the same roster we had in '04.

"The NFL is killing us with these 4 PM games.  Bus needs his nap, and it's always hot dogs on Sundays for the early bird special."
Ytownsteelfan

« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2013 at 16:10 »

Ok with all that has happened in the past week with in season trades ( has there ever been a season where so many in season trades have happened?), I have some concerns.  With The Steelers acquiring Levi Brown from the cardinals,  and the ratties acquiring Eugene Monroe from the jags, I am just thinking hypothetically about next years draft.  We know the jags are gonna be in the top 5 of next years draft, maybe even number 1.  So we have the jags, the giants, the bucs and the Steelers currently sitting at 0-4.  Several other teams sitting at 1-3, like the raiders, rams, vikes, iggles, skins, and falcons.  If the Steelers don't pull their collective heads out of the collective asses, I foresee the team having a top 5 pick, unfortunately, with the state of the jags, I don't see the Steelers landing the number 1 pick.
The question I have is, with the jags trading one of their starting tackles to the ratties, does that put them in the market for one of the top tackles in next years draft, or do they have so many holes to fill that they would most like draft Clowney, or a top QB, or one of the many other holes they need to fill. 
In all honesty, I am not looking to tank the season, but if our options are to go 3-13, or go 8-8 and still miss the playoffs, I am leaning on going 3-13 and actually having a damn good chance at landing Matthews as our LT for many years to come. 
I would have to do a bit of research, but I can't recall the last time we had a top 10 pick.  Ben was 11.  Not saying gems cannot be found in the draft, but it sure would be nice to get Ben some serious protection for the remainder of his career, that is assuming he isn't dead by the end of this one.  Next year, I would love to see a line of Matthews, Velasco/Pouncey, Pouncey/Velasco, DDC, Brown/Adams, with Beachum, Ebernathy, Brown/Adams, mid to late round flyer as our backups.   
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2013 at 07:06 »

The Jags have to take Bridgewater. Almost no choice. As bad as they are at every position, they are bereft of any possibility at QB.

The Raiders are out of the running at 2-3 it seems!

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: