Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 20, 2014 at 23:58 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: From The Twitter  (Read 3733 times)
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Oct 09, 2013 at 09:37 »

We have signed LB @SSylvester55 and released LB Kion Wilson.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 10:59 »

That fixes everything!

ST move.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #2 on: Oct 09, 2013 at 15:15 »

That's a kashi move.

:churnthebottom:

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15, 2013 at 09:36 »

We have placed Levi Brown and David Johnson on IR.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2013 at 11:21 »

Bob Labriola ‏@BobLabriola
Tomlin: There will be no more somersault into the end zone celebrations. There is the potential for injury. That simple.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2013 at 12:58 »

We have placed Levi Brown and David Johnson on IR.

When it rains, it pours. Can't really fault anyone for the flub on Brown, at least they tried something.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2013 at 15:44 »

We have released RB @ired33  and have activated linebacker Kion Wilson from the practice squad to fill the roster spot.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2013 at 17:18 »

The carousel continues.  Always liked Redman, but he just didn;t bring it when we needed him to, last year or this.  Some very good traits, but clearly a complementary guy only.  And Dwyer, when challenged, was able to come back and try again; after the "concussion," it seemed like the coaches thought Dwyer had quit.  And maybe he is injured, who knows with these things.

Best of luck, dude.  Enjoy the Zona climate.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2013 at 21:59 »

Disappointing about Redman. Got to interview the guy once, thought he was on the way to being something special. What he did was all he had.

I still think Dwyer combined with Bell could be a great combination. But Bell seems to have cemented himself as the starter.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2013 at 06:47 »

Seems to?  Bell's it.

Redman had an uncanny knack for those tough yards, against very stout Ravens' defensive fronts.  Injuries, fumbles, a sort of hesitation entered in.  For a while there, it looked like we would just keep digging up these UDFA guys (FWP, Redman) to rush for us...

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2013 at 10:17 »

Timmons fractured his left hand v. the Ravens and is sporting a cast.  Says he'll be ready to go vs. the Raiders, but who can say.  Now the Kion Wilson promotion makes more sense.

Downside to playing with a cast on the hand:  wrapping up.
Upside to playing with a cast on the hand:  clubbing a motherfucker.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2013 at 10:39 »

If Ike can play with two casts, Timmons can play with one.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2013 at 11:03 »

If Ike can play with two casts, Timmons can play with one.

Bazinga!

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2013 at 22:06 »

Aren't the Raiders the only team that Ben has never defeated?

scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2013 at 08:23 »

Aren't the Raiders the only team that Ben has never defeated?

Remember the trouncing we gave them before R. Seymour's haymaker into Ben's throat? Must be another team.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2013 at 10:15 »

Forgot the 2010 game.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2013 at 14:11 »

We have placed LaMarr Woodley on IR and signed linebacker Jamaal Westerman to fill the roster spot.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2013 at 14:13 »

We have placed LaMarr Woodley on IR and signed linebacker Jamaal Westerman to fill the roster spot.

Damn, dude.  10 mins ago.  Sweet turnaround time.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2013 at 14:50 »

I was using Spotrac to calculate dead money if we cut or traded Woodley, and I think either their or my math was wrong.  Found a new site that seems pretty accurate - if he's a June 1 cut, it's $5.5M in dead money... but we free up $8M overall. 

When he plays, he can still be productive.  When he plays.  I'd make Worilds, who's 4 years younger, the priority.  Keep Worilds, develop Jones.  This may be the kind of hard choice the off-season requires:  cut Woodley, and move on.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2014 at 12:13 »

Munchak interviewing for Steelers Oline job.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Mar 05, 2014 at 12:45 »

We have signed @tpolamalu to a new three-year contract.  Here's to many more memories of #TroyBeingTroy. 

We have ALSO signed Heath Miller to a new three-year contract.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Mar 05, 2014 at 13:32 »

Yep, 2014 + 2 new years.

Totally cool with both those, assuming we didn't break the bank.  Should mean both retire as Steelers.

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #22 on: Mar 05, 2014 at 14:19 »

Yeah of all the old farts I think those two have the most tread left, Miller moreso probably.  No problem extending these two as lowering those cap hits this year was priority.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Mar 05, 2014 at 15:18 »

We have released linebacker Larry Foote, cornerback Curtis Brown and offensive tackle Levi Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Mar 05, 2014 at 15:36 »

Expected, for at least two of those.  Forgot Curtis Brown was still around. 

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Mar 05, 2014 at 15:51 »

Levi was a waste of our time.  Curtis never developed, wasted draft pick (though I thought he had potential at the time).

Foote, mildly surprised, given the lack of starters/depth outside of Timmons, but we could surely sign him back later at the min if needed.  Who else is rushing to his doorstep with a contract?

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Mar 06, 2014 at 11:04 »

Foote, mildly surprised, given the lack of starters/depth outside of Timmons, but we could surely sign him back later at the min if needed.  Who else is rushing to his doorstep with a contract?

Read in multiple places.  It's expected that Foote is done, career~wise.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Mar 06, 2014 at 12:11 »

Well, yeah.  But that hasn't stopped us before.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2014 at 12:58 »

Well, yeah.  But that hasn't stopped us before.

otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Mar 10, 2014 at 21:37 »

FFS

Ike Taylor staying with Steelers.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10585885/ike-taylor-agrees-new-deal-pittsburgh-steelers
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #30 on: Mar 11, 2014 at 06:25 »

I can live with that salary for one year. I almost had a heart attach thinking he got a deal similar to troys and heaths.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Mar 11, 2014 at 06:30 »

Kind of suspected this.

I'm fine with it, seeing as we have zero depth behind Cortez and Willie Gay. 

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Mar 11, 2014 at 10:21 »

Setting up a move to safety.

Steal Verner (somehow) via FA.

Steal Raji (somehow) for modest 2 or 3 year deal with an average of no more than 4 million per.

Draft Dennard in R1.

Draft sideline-to-sideline ILB and strong, lose-left-nut fast edge rusher.

In one year, defensive overhaul essentially complete.  Safety a top priority in '15.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Mar 11, 2014 at 12:41 »

Ike would suck as a S.  Not the physical tackler, no hands, his asset is speed, period.  One more year (or part thereof) to transition the new corner.

Sign DT Paul Soliai to man the nose.  At 340#, he's the proto 3-4 NT clogger.  Move Mac to end, with Woods as backup.

Call up Jimmy Haslam, who has Steelers FO ties, and trade our 1.15 and 2.46 for Cleveland's 1.26, 2.35, and 3.71.  Maybe they move up for Ebron or some similar.  Traditional value chart would tilt this Pitt giving up 1490 and Cleve only 1485, close enough and more picks for us; maybe a better metric would put it as Pitt giving 417.5, getting 510.9.

1.26.  ILB Ryan Shazier, OSU (ranked 31 at NFLDS/CBS).  I now have Shazier ranked higher than Mosley due to injury concerns.  Shazier has the speed to cover and is active all over the field, flies & hits.  Can transition from OLB but needs to add some weight.  Upgrade to the middle immediately.
2.35.  WR Donte Moncrief, Ole Miss (67).  No idea why he's not being ranked top 5, which IMO he most certainly is.  Size, speed, playmaker.  Good hands.  Think Wallace:  not as fast, better routes and hands.
3.71.  CB Pierre Desir, Lindenwood (73).  Been on my radar for months.  Size prospect who can man the outside. 
3 (Comp).  TE CJ Fiedorowicz, Iowa (105).  Not productive at Iowa, but good size, hands, and ability to separate; may be a better pro, lots of upside. 
4.114.  S Dion Bailey, USC (124).  One year at FS after playing LB, big hitter, has some ball skills, might be better at SS.  Future tandem of Shark and Bailey brings pain.
5.145.  OLB Prince Shembo, ND (145).  Played DE at ND, good playmaker, solid measurables, good frame to groom to OLB.
5 (comp).  CB Terrence Mitchell, Ore. (164).  Played opposite Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, seen as the superior CB, but for that very reason was thrown at a lot and held his own.  Not a blazer, but if you're a fan of analytics his burn percentage and other pass defense numbers are at the very top of this class, so, could be a bargain developmental guy.
6.176.  WR/RB Dri Archer, Kent St (184).  Diminutive speedster opened eyes with a 4.26 40 at the combine.  Played WR, RB, KR/PR and could be a versatile component to the offense if he were to last this long.  TBH I don't think he does.
7.207.  OL Wesley Johnson, Vandy (242).  Played all 5 OL spots, and looks like a decent developmental project.  Will need to add weight/muscle, but can move his feet, has a good football intelligence.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Mar 11, 2014 at 13:57 »

I think it's hilarious that you're suggesting a trade down.  Was going to mention something along those lines so they could get back that 3rd they lost last year for Shamarko, but I didn't feel like looking up the metrics and trade possibilities.  I was hoping that a trade back ~10 spots or so would net them a R2, but not sure if the numbers work.  I'm guessing a team would have to have a real hard on for somebody that's still on the board at 1.15 to make that move.  I just don't see an intradivisional rival wanting to do that.  Does that kind of trade ever happen?  Maybe SD?

Would be plenty happy with Soliai at the nose.  Prob as good and maybe cheaper option than Raji.

Shazier is an interesting dude.  Improved draft stock a bunch with combine pro day performances.  Those guys always make me leery.  ILB?  Might be a little on the slight side for that role?  Think I might prefer sliding Jones into the middle and putting a guy like that out on the edge to wreak havoc.  Still, he feels like a little bit of a project and I'd kinda like to see a more "plug and play" guy taken in R1.

In the end, I think how active the team is in free agency will determine whether a trade back is warranted.  If they shock me and sign a guy of the caliber of Verner, well, just roll with what they've got.  If they dabble and/or don't do much, getting an extra pick might be necessary.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Mar 11, 2014 at 16:04 »

I'd be plenty happy signing Verner.  I think someone with more money wins him, but who knows, we're making space. 

Shaz was also highly productive at OSU, in fact it was his stats that first made me notice him compared to Mosley.  I agree that his frame is a concern, but he's not afraid to get in there and make the hit.  IMO that speed is just what we need over the middle, but if Jarvis inside and Shaz outside would work better, I'd be happy to give it a whirl.  In any event, we need more speed, more physicality.

Colbert's comments about how deep this class is make me think he's eyeing a trade back; and the Browns are being very active early in FA, so they could easily try to trade up to make one pick top 5 and another top 15, if they have specific targets.  I can't recall off-hand too many divisional trades, but the Shark trade was with the Browns, and Haslam might be amenable to talking.

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Mar 11, 2014 at 17:14 »

I'm good with the Ike deal.  Slightly surprised he's saying he's a lifer now with a 1 year deal, but I guess even he knows that the tank is almost empty, especially if he took the pay cut without testing the market.

Stone hands notwithstanding, no one can ever complain about getting a #1 corner for a decade with a 4th round pick.  Except Mark "worst draft pick ever" Madden of course.

It's 6:11, and no Steeler action in FA - shocker  shrugs sleepy1
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Mar 12, 2014 at 15:22 »

Brandon Weeden cut by the Browns.

The carousel of shit never slows down.

BTW, everyone is buzzing about their FA deals.  My imagination or did they pay MORE for OLDER guys to replace the guys that left?

Browns bein' the Browns, baby.

VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Mar 28, 2014 at 17:14 »

Ike would suck as a S.  Not the physical tackler, no hands, his asset is speed, period.  One more year (or part thereof) to transition the new corner.

Sign DT Paul Soliai to man the nose.  At 340#, he's the proto 3-4 NT clogger.  Move Mac to end, with Woods as backup.

Call up Jimmy Haslam, who has Steelers FO ties, and trade our 1.15 and 2.46 for Cleveland's 1.26, 2.35, and 3.71.  Maybe they move up for Ebron or some similar.  Traditional value chart would tilt this Pitt giving up 1490 and Cleve only 1485, close enough and more picks for us; maybe a better metric would put it as Pitt giving 417.5, getting 510.9.

1.26.  ILB Ryan Shazier, OSU (ranked 31 at NFLDS/CBS).  I now have Shazier ranked higher than Mosley due to injury concerns.  Shazier has the speed to cover and is active all over the field, flies & hits.  Can transition from OLB but needs to add some weight.  Upgrade to the middle immediately.
2.35.  WR Donte Moncrief, Ole Miss (67).  No idea why he's not being ranked top 5, which IMO he most certainly is.  Size, speed, playmaker.  Good hands.  Think Wallace:  not as fast, better routes and hands.
3.71.  CB Pierre Desir, Lindenwood (73).  Been on my radar for months.  Size prospect who can man the outside. 
3 (Comp).  TE CJ Fiedorowicz, Iowa (105).  Not productive at Iowa, but good size, hands, and ability to separate; may be a better pro, lots of upside. 
4.114.  S Dion Bailey, USC (124).  One year at FS after playing LB, big hitter, has some ball skills, might be better at SS.  Future tandem of Shark and Bailey brings pain.
5.145.  OLB Prince Shembo, ND (145).  Played DE at ND, good playmaker, solid measurables, good frame to groom to OLB.
5 (comp).  CB Terrence Mitchell, Ore. (164).  Played opposite Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, seen as the superior CB, but for that very reason was thrown at a lot and held his own.  Not a blazer, but if you're a fan of analytics his burn percentage and other pass defense numbers are at the very top of this class, so, could be a bargain developmental guy.
6.176.  WR/RB Dri Archer, Kent St (184).  Diminutive speedster opened eyes with a 4.26 40 at the combine.  Played WR, RB, KR/PR and could be a versatile component to the offense if he were to last this long.  TBH I don't think he does.
7.207.  OL Wesley Johnson, Vandy (242).  Played all 5 OL spots, and looks like a decent developmental project.  Will need to add weight/muscle, but can move his feet, has a good football intelligence.

I would slit someone's wrist if they went ILB at 1.  1 & 2 HAS to be cb/wr.  Biggest needs, by far with most upside in this draft available...we need that game changer while we're drafting high.  Plus they have Moats who's possible, Williams (who didnt suck for a rook), Spence is reportedly coming along & a willing to come back for a bag of chips Harrison (who was reported too be a beast on the inside, pre starting).

and when the gas runs out, just wreck it, you've insured the thing.  -Soul Coughing
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Mar 28, 2014 at 17:29 »

It has to be BPA, regardless.  WR is deep, CB too.  ILB is not.  Everyone bags on Mack for not being Hampton, but his YPC allowed up the middle were solid.  There's a big void at ILB that Vince Williams, bless 'is heart, was not up to as a rookie.  Maybe he'll be faster this year?  OK, we signed Moats, so... vet, and bigger frame, which is better than what we have on roster, and better than Shaz.  But Shaz has amazing speed, and would immediately be a plus in plugging the run and covering the intermediates.  I'd like Shaz to add more weight to play inside, but right now we have Timmons and the ?.

I think this mock, which is after all a thought exercise, would be an excellent haul.  BTW, Steelers seem interested in my R7 guy Wesley Johnson, don't be surprised if he's a late round add.   

VanWilder
Making mulch, Fin.
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Mar 28, 2014 at 17:53 »

My issue is need.  They have a plethora of stop gaps to man the MAC.  And this years reach at ILB would be a 2nd
 rounder next year.

Not saying we dont need one to groom, just that at 1, it'd be crazy. 

Good too see you too, Fin.  Thought I'd pop in.

and when the gas runs out, just wreck it, you've insured the thing.  -Soul Coughing
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 14:37 »

We have signed punter Adam Podlesh (@Adampodlesh08) to a one-year contract.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #42 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 15:30 »

We have signed punter Adam Podlesh (@Adampodlesh08) to a one-year contract.

Nice move.  Beats who they're usually scrambling to march out there.  Drafted same year as Robopunter with longer staying power, obv.

TwistedLemon

« Reply #43 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 15:56 »

Averages 42 yds per punt with 33% landing inside the 20

"My reality check bounced"
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #44 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 17:17 »

This changes everything.

I'm calling it... SUPER BOWL!!!

Pages: 1 2 ... 5 [All]   Go Up