Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 20, 2014 at 17:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why the Steelers are 0-fer  (Read 5334 times)
Manimal
Brownstains can suck my Member

« Reply #10 on: Oct 11, 2013 at 09:49 »

I don't think the 90s FO was very astute in the early goings of free agency.  Lost more than they gained, Bettis the notable exception

Doesn't the official history claim that the team lacked the cash to compete in free agency until they built Heinz field, or something like that? And therefore it was hard to beat the signing bonuses other teams were offering for players like Woodson, Searcy, Lake? Add that people were willing to way overpay for Thigpen and O'Donnell, combine that with a team with little room for error cash-wise, and you get a lot of roster churning in the 90s.

But yes, very true, Cowher's second run of greatness was built in rounds 2 through 4, where we have generally whiffed on. That we've also done poorly in round 1 makes the weakness in depth everywhere so glaring. Teams can pick and choose how they want to beat us.

Sometimes I wonder if it isn't talent so much as on the intangibles where we are missing on players. Ward, Aaron Smith, Marvel Smith, I don't think of them were elite athletically, so much as they were tough motherfuckers. Warriors. Wallace? Woodley? Not so much.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2013 at 11:03 »

Didn't have quite the same research approach, but...

http://homefieldupstate.blogspot.com/2013/09/steeler-problems-go-above-field.html

Honestly, when the Steelers draft poorly, there is no other recourse and the team becomes the steaming mound we are currently witnessing.

That's good stuff right there, Preach.

Yeah, nice writeup, sir.  Now we know why he doesn't post much here.  He's too busy posting on his blog.  Guess that $37 annual salary doesn't go as far as it used to...

The Chicago Bears, on the other hand, brought Jay Cutler in to interview head coaches to replace Lovie Smith. One would think that a franchise QB who is much more decorated than Cutler might deserve to be a part of the conversation on who his coordinator will be.

Source?  That's news to me.

I know that Cutler was excited about it because Trestman is a "QB guru," but I don't remember reading anything about him having a significant role in deciding their HC choice.  Frankly, I'd be surprised if any QB outside of maybe the handful of premier signal callers in the league are included in that process.  I could see them being kept in the loop to an extent, maybe even brought in for a heads up before they make an offer to one...but to have a voice or vote that counts?  Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see it...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2013 at 11:06 »

Time to add this guy to the payroll.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2013 at 11:44 »

I'd heard that about Cutler and Trestman as well.

Here's a guy who could replace Colbert:

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/staff/Eric-DeCosta/f9720ac4-2e1d-4155-85df-d8f1ba782a54

Not that he would.

Bring him here, hurts the Ravens as well.

Keep Colbert as some kinda consultant, to save face.  Take away 90% of Tomlin's input into the draft.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2013 at 15:03 »

Source?  That's news to me.

They blathered on about it on Sunday Night Football. Collinsworth kept saying it, verified by the guys in the studio. I wouldn't trust Collinsworth if he pointed to a door that said "Men" and said "Hey, that's the Men's room".

I do get a free gym membership out of it. Although that's probably gone when they realize I only get to post about once a week.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: