Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 23, 2014 at 05:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 7 - Oct. 20 - Baltimore @ Pittsburgh  (Read 4776 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #20 on: Oct 21, 2013 at 13:34 »

BTW, we got Houston and KC ota and I couldn't listen online yesterday.  So, Beachum and Whimper were serviceable?  Sounds like a new buddy cop duo.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Oct 21, 2013 at 14:25 »

A win is a win is a win.  Overall, I'd say more good than bad.  Light years from the mess we saw the first two games.

Considering the issues and injuries along the offensive line, I thought the front five did a pretty nice job.  It seems like they're getting [minimally] better and better each week.  Beachum has been OK at LT; saw some nice work from DDC at the point of attack and moving on to the second level; and Velasco has really mitigated the loss of Pouncey.  When you hear a lineman's name getting called a lot, it's usually because he's getting beat or committing some dumbassed penalty.  I don't think Velasco's name was mentioned at all yesterday.  Coincidentally, a lot of the positivity surrounding the ground game came up the middle.  #26 be lookin' good.  For a guy that's 240#+, he's got some nice quickness to him.  Saw him make a couple nice hits in blitz pickup.  I'd like to see him get more looks in the passing game too.  Several times Ben could've just dumped it off to him in the flat and chose to try and force it downfield.  He didn't even look that way.  He was just radar locked on the big play.  Can't really nitpick too much there...pretty easy to armchair QB it when there isn't a purple haze swirling about me.

IMO, good production across the board from all the offensive skill positions.  The Heath fumble sucked, but it's about as common as a solar eclipse.  Happens.  The only downer was the timing in that it felt like Pittsburgh was really moving toward taking a strangle hold on the game.  Someone mentioned earlier that it was a big mo swing before the half as the Steelers were driving and would've likely put up at least another 3 on the board.  Moye had a monster catch while getting upended, but he also let that one slip right through his fingers in the EZ.  It's a give and take with the youts, I guess.  Crotchety also had some timely grabs.  All he does is make big 3rd down catches.

The defense still scares the hell outta me.  I kinda wince every time a ball is snapped.  Other than Troy being all over the goddamned place, that group is so streaky.  I'd really like to see Pittsburgh draft (or sign) a true 30 technique nose.  Mclendon is a really nice player, but he belongs on the outside in a 3-4.  Just my take.  Timmons and Woodley had their moments and I felt like I saw some improvement from Worilds on the outside.  Seemed to do a better job of having a nose for the ball and not looking lost.  If JJ can develop into an outside threat, they might be a decent group.  Think they need some help in the middle, though.  The secondary did a nice job of keeping their splits in check.  Taylor got in the way enough and Gay/Allen made some nice plays on the ball.  It was against Jump Ball/Dumpoff Joe, though.  We'll see how they do against a QB that can pick apart a zone.  Shamark made his presence felt on more than one occasion too.

The ***skins so made the right move going with Graham Gano over Suisham.  Excellent choice, Danny Boy.  Somewhere a restroom paper towel dispenser paid the price.  YIIJay tweeted that Quadzilla texted him a pic of the carnage and resulting tramp stamp tattoo from the three night bender.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Oct 21, 2013 at 15:55 »

True to all dat, aj.  Was expecting Ben to get killed by Suggs, pleasant surprise there.  And for as bad as Guy Whimper Abdullah the Butcher was elsewhere and in the preseason, there were plays when Ben had lots of time in the pocket.  It was weird to see.

Bell is a very pleasant surprise.  Does not look 240#, not in frame, and not in quickness.  From Football Outsiders:

Look at Bell's tape and you see a quick athlete ... not a quick guy for 240 pounds, but quick, period, end of story. Bell has a 6.75-second, three-cone drill. That's a faster time than Giovani Bernard, Stevan Ridley, Doug Martin, LeSean McCoy, or Mike Goodson. It's also equal to Jahvid Best's time -- in fact, it's the 12th best three-cone time I've seen from a runner since 2006 and he's the biggest player in that top-12.

Really like his patience and vision, waits for it and then zip!  He's got 6 yards in a blink.  So hard to evaluate some of these Big 10 RBs (SING RON DAYNE!!!!11), but Bell looks like a nice pickup.  With AB, a good young core.  If Sanders could be more consistent, and Wheaton comes on...  dare to dream.

Also agree with how disappointing and streaky the D is.  Although there was some good energy - Woodley nearly popping the ball and then intercepting it!  Pola flying around like it's 2008!  Willie Gay making good breaks!  Shamarko layin' some wood! - FO also had the Ratties ranked as the #31 offense, and dear Fucco still brought them back for the tie.

McLendon looks like he'd be a good DE.  Say it once more, all together:  gets push upfield on passing plays, too soggy on run D... although nice goal line stop, and overall rushing numbers for the Rats weren't anything too amazing.  Problem is, I don't see a good crop of 3-4 NTs.  The kid for ND, maybe, but I can think of a bunch of better R1 prospects...  who else ya got?

For as much as we watched FG attempts through our hands the last few years, Swiss Ham has shown really nice accuracy... and pretty decent length.  He's hitting high 40s and even some 50+ with amazing accuracy.  Consider: from 2005-09, he was 87-110 (79%).  Since coming here in 2010, he's 79-91 (86.8%), and three of his four seasons he hit 90+% (2010 - 93.3%, 2012 - 90.3%, 2013 - perfect).  But I thought Heinz was a kicker's nightmare?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Oct 21, 2013 at 21:56 »

Never been so thrilled to be wrong in all my life.

I still don't think we're a very good football team and will end up with a fairly high draft pick. However, it's just nice to see some fight back in this team, and some improvement.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Nov 04, 2013 at 08:32 »

Be nice to get to 4-4.

I don't know...sounds like blasphemy to say it this early in the season, but with the Bengals at 5-2 (and have already beaten us once), the Browns and Ravens at 3-4, and the Steelers in the cellar at 2-4, and with one of either the Broncos and/or Chiefs pretty much locked in on one Wild card spot, it seems to me that every win just means a worse draft pick next year. I'm almost hoping for a tank for the rest of the season (though it will be hell to sit through it each week) to get the top tackle in the draft (not that I have a clue who that is/will be).

I might agree if there were 4 games left and we were out of contention, but can't agree just yet. 

NY Giants are headed for an early pick, and I assume LT will be their calling (Matthews).  That leaves Lewan (top 10) and Kouandjio (top 20) in play, although the big guy from Bama could move up if his play improves.  Should be some quality WR and CB in the top 15 or even 20.  Even if we're not taking QB in R1, Bridgewater, Mariota, Boyd, maybe Manziel should be hearing their names early, so that means more likelihood of WR/CB/OT for us.

Plus, you play... to win... the game...

So can we revisit this now?

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Nov 04, 2013 at 08:55 »

Should have won against the Raiders, Tomlin's record against the silver and black is one of the uglier facets of his litanies of failure.  Could have certainly won against the Pats, but looking down the sched I don't think we have to try to tank.  I don't know if there are any games we are going to actually win.  Maybe one or two here or there.  Not going to beat the Bengals, or the Ravens in Balty.  Browns are improved, and I think they sweep us, maybe if we're lucky we go 2-4 in the division.  For all the issues at QB the Bills have, they've been competitive.  Miiiiight win that.  Lions, Megatron is too much.  Dolphins appear to be better than us, but another maybe on the slate.  Packers, don't fucking kid yourself.  I think the ceiling for this team is 5-11.

That should get us our choice of a top LT, WR, or maybe even QB.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Nov 04, 2013 at 10:56 »

Should have won against the Raiders, Tomlin's record against the silver and black is one of the uglier facets of his litanies of failure.  Could have certainly won against the Pats, but looking down the sched I don't think we have to try to tank.  I don't know if there are any games we are going to actually win.  Maybe one or two here or there.  Not going to beat the Bengals, or the Ravens in Balty.  Browns are improved, and I think they sweep us, maybe if we're lucky we go 2-4 in the division.  For all the issues at QB the Bills have, they've been competitive.  Miiiiight win that.  Lions, Megatron is too much.  Dolphins appear to be better than us, but another maybe on the slate.  Packers, don't fucking kid yourself.  I think the ceiling for this team is 5-11.

Maybe we were actually agreeing all along now that I read this response. I don't think the team should try to lose the games (and if they do before they are actually eliminated, then heads should roll). What I am suggesting is that we, as fans, should probably be careful about being happy for any win that happens to occur throughout the rest of the season because at this point the season is lost and it is just screwing up our chances of turning it around next year or the year after.

Here are the teams in the league that are .500 or worse (I'm not sure how the tie-breakers work out):

Rank From Bottom (lowest possible)TeamRecordWin PCT
19Bears (Could be .500 tonight)4-3.571
18Dolphins4-4.500
18Cardinals4-4.500
18Titans4-4.500
18Chargers4-4.500
14Eagles4-5.444
14Browns4-5.444
12Ravens3-5.375
12Raiders3-5.375
12Redskins3-5.375
9Bills3-6.333
9Rams3-6.333
7Steelers2-6.250
7Texans2-6.250
7Giants2-6.250
7Falcons2-6.250
3Vikings1-7.125
2Bucs0-8.000
2Jags0-8.000

Point is that if we drafted today we would draft as low as 7th. There is not that much difference between drafting there and drafting 19th (2 wins). None of the teams on this list are very good and any win the Steelers get just puts distance in there. I'd be horrified every week to go 2-14, but I think the joy of any win should be short-lived once you realize that the effect of that win is a reduced draft pick (possibly significantly).

Sorry to be the harbinger of doom.
« Last Edit: Nov 04, 2013 at 11:05 by kluisi61 » Logged

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Nov 04, 2013 at 11:15 »

Should have won against the Raiders, Tomlin's record against the silver and black is one of the uglier facets of his litanies of failure.  Could have certainly won against the Pats, but looking down the sched I don't think we have to try to tank.  I don't know if there are any games we are going to actually win.  Maybe one or two here or there.  Not going to beat the Bengals, or the Ravens in Balty.  Browns are improved, and I think they sweep us, maybe if we're lucky we go 2-4 in the division.  For all the issues at QB the Bills have, they've been competitive.  Miiiiight win that.  Lions, Megatron is too much.  Dolphins appear to be better than us, but another maybe on the slate.  Packers, don't fucking kid yourself.  I think the ceiling for this team is 5-11.

Maybe we were actually agreeing all along now that I read this response. I don't think the team should try to lose the games (and if they do before they are actually eliminated, then heads should roll). What I am suggesting is that we, as fans, should probably be careful about being happy for any win that happens to occur throughout the rest of the season because at this point the season is lost and it is just screwing up our chances of turning it around next year or the year after.

Here are the teams in the league that are .500 or worse (I'm not sure how the tie-breakers work out):

18Dolphins4-4.500
18Cardinals4-4.500
18Titans4-4.500
18Chargers4-4.500
14Eagles4-5.444
14Browns4-5.444
12Ravens3-5.375
12Raiders3-5.375
12Redskins3-5.375
9Bills3-6.333
9Rams3-6.333
7Steelers2-6.250
7Texans2-6.250
7Giants2-6.250
7Falcons2-6.250
3Vikings1-7.125
2Bucs0-8.000
2Jags0-8.000

Point is that if we drafted today we would draft as low as 7th. There is not that much difference between drafting there and drafting 19th (2 wins). None of the teams on this list are very good and any win the Steelers get just puts distance in there. I'd be horrified every week to go 2-14, but I think the joy of any win should be short-lived once you realize that the effect of that win is a reduced draft pick (possibly significantly).

Careful.  Slippery slope.

Quite a few shitty teams on that list that are still playing hard week in, week out.  Pittsburgh has kinda been one of those groups.  That kind of mentality and those kinds of players are what you want on your squad going forward.  When you start to think and play otherwise, you become addicted to losing and you forget what it takes to be a winner.  Then, you wake up one day and realize it's been 5 years since you had a +.500 season...

These guys are playing for themselves and for pride now.  I've said it many times, adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.  Gonna really find out what a lot of these guys are made of in the second half of the season.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 2013 at 11:31 »

18Dolphins4-4.500
18Cardinals4-4.500
18Titans4-4.500
18Chargers4-4.500
14Eagles4-5.444
14Browns4-5.444
12Ravens3-5.375
12Raiders3-5.375
12Redskins3-5.375
9Bills3-6.333
9Rams3-6.333
7Steelers2-6.250
7Texans2-6.250
7Giants2-6.250
7Falcons2-6.250
3Vikings1-7.125
2Bucs0-8.000
2Jags0-8.000

Careful.  Slippery slope.

Quite a few shitty teams on that list that are still playing hard week in, week out.  Pittsburgh has kinda been one of those groups.  That kind of mentality and those kinds of players are what you want on your squad going forward.  When you start to think and play otherwise, you become addicted to losing and you forget what it takes to be a winner.  Then, you wake up one day and realize it's been 5 years since you had a +.500 season...

These guys are playing for themselves and for pride now.  I've said it many times, adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.  Gonna really find out what a lot of these guys are made of in the second half of the season.

Yep...I agree and again, I am only talking about us as fans. Anyone on or affiliated with the team that is thinking or playing this way should be replaced ... period. And sooner rather than later.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #29 on: Nov 04, 2013 at 12:41 »

My mantra shall continue to be, "Top 5 pick!  Top 5 pick! Top 5 pick!"

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up
  Print