Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 22, 2014 at 12:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *Sigh*... 2014 Mock Draft...  (Read 8587 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Feb 06, 2014 at 11:43 »

Can't really argue with the Evans pick, I guess.  Really depends on who is still on the board at 1.15.  Evans over Lewan?  Evans over Mosley?  Evans over best available CB?  Dunno.  Will have to do some due diligence there.  If they didn't have so many holes to fill, I'd say the Evans pick is a much easier one.  You want to shoot for BAA, but at one of your top 3 or so areas of need, no?

Going back to my original approach, they need a lot of help at CB, ILB, NT and S.  WR feels like 5th or 6th most pressing need.  OT might even be more important.  Something else to consider too is that WR is definitely the cheaper position to fill via FA over a position like CB or OT.

In the end, I still rather see them go all defense in first four or five rounds.  Focus on those 4 positions and consider a WR, WR/TE or OT, only if a highly rated prospect falls.  Maybe Evans grades out that high and warrants that pick.

Also, considering all the issues at LB, not too comfortable with waiting 'til R5 to address that position too.

*sigh*

When you have so many needs...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2014 at 12:43 »

Shame about Spence too.  Guy looked like a dynamic player before that injury and I don't see him ever regaining his speed and quickness.  Would have eliminated one of the needs.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Feb 06, 2014 at 17:40 »

I hear ya, aj.  I think Lewan is better than a lot of the talking heads give him credit for, but if you look at guys who impact the scoreboard, a top WR is going to put more pop into the offense.  I've been screaming for a legit LT, but 2 things:  Beachum (Beachum, FFS!) has played the spot pretty darned well, and now we have Munchak to hopefully tease out the latent talent in guys like Adams and Gilbert. 

Mosley?  I think the same argument can be made.  (Look at highlights from the Bama-A&M game and Evans, not Mosley, jumps out.)  But there is a good point there:  the middle of the defense, with NTs maybe being relegated to 2-down players, may rely more on a stud ILB tandem than on flubbo cloggers up front, in this pass-happy era.  ILB is the position I have the most questions about:  can Vince Williams step up and be the man in year 2?  Can Spence continue the miracle comeback and get speed back?  Can a guy like SS/ILB Garvin make an impact?  I think you did hit the weakness of this mock, which is that one of the biggest needs got pushed late:  ILB has TOO many questions.  (Might be a place to try to find a FA?) 

That said, there is value outside of R1, and IMO the question of value always begs the assessment of dropoff.  How much do you lose waiting to R2 or R3 and getting a player then?  There's plenty of WR value in this draft, so that makes your case; but there are also prospects at ILB that could be closer to Mosley than you think.  IMO, Jackson is going to struggle some with LOC, but he's also going to be one of those later round (R4, 5) steals that everyone scratches their head about a few years down the road.  My biggest concern is whether he can digest a complicated playbook, which I think Mosley can.  I guess I was going for a Hail Mary at ILB in this mock, and I think if anyone is the late value it's Jackson.

Definitely agree WRT to going heavy on D though.  If we can shore up the secondary, get a NT prospect, and an ILB, that's a win for me.  IMO, the secondary is the biggest of these.  There are NT prospects in R2-4, and ILB you can find interesting guys all the way down to R4/5.  So why Evans in R1?  As said, he impacts the scoreboard, plain and simple.  Arguments can be made for the top 3 WR, but Watkins won't last, and I think Evans will be a better pro than Lee.  The next tier of WR is full of good prospects, but a guy like Evans or Ebron adds a big THUMP dimension to the receiving corps, like a Graham/Gronk/Vince Jackson sort of big body.  Goodbye Sanders; AB is the new man; and I expect Wheaton to develop as a speed threat.  But you need a third threat (besides Heat/Cotch/possession guys) and Evans/Ebron look like they fit the bill.  Evans is only 20 years old, so his rough edges (route running, temperament) can be fixed.  He's consistently put up solid numbers, and has shown he can eat a tough D like Bama for lunch. 

I think people fixate on certain aspects - long strider, a guy who is adept at improvising on broken plays but may not be a pure route runner - and miss the physical domination.  You can literally line him up at any WR/TE position and he'll demand attention.  One on one, and he's going to put up numbers.  Between him and AB, safeties will be shitting their draws.

I sorta like this draft, though I think there are R2 CB (Fuller) and R3/4 S (Bailey) who could be the picks.  I'd love to get both VT CBs, and see what Exum can do in a couple of years. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Feb 06, 2014 at 18:10 »

I think people fixate on certain aspects - long strider, a guy who is adept at improvising on broken plays but may not be a pure route runner - and miss the physical domination.  You can literally line him up at any WR/TE position and he'll demand attention.  One on one, and he's going to put up numbers.  Between him and AB, safeties will be shitting their draws.

No way would this guy fit into an offense with a system guy/game manager like Roethlisberger.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2014 at 12:59 »

No way would this guy fit into an offense with a system guy/game manager like Roethlisberger.

JOHN E. FOOTBALL >>> BEN ROFFLESBIRDER, @ZZHOLE, WHICH ONE ONE A HISEMAN? 

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Feb 12, 2014 at 17:54 »

Interesting series, love the stat breakdowns of top players.  Here's the R2-ish CBs, and not surprisingly Kyle Fuller, who I know I and aj are both pretty high on, comes out good.  As in, very good.  Surprised that Joyner actually doesn't rate so well; IMO he was sort of a Tyrann Mathieu type, but definitely need to eval how you'd use him (slot, S?).

Now I'm starting to think about a mock that starts Dix, Fuller...  how would the rest roll?

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Feb 13, 2014 at 19:10 »

Another MARK DAFT PUNK!

Ra'Shede Hageman?  Was his grandfather on Dallas?

Definitely a Weird Name Theory candidate, but...who?

TBH, I haven't done much due diligence on all but a few yet, but...who?

FWIW, ATM, I'd still take Dennard over Fuller.
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2014 at 19:14 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Feb 14, 2014 at 08:42 »

Hageman's a grown-assed man.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Feb 18, 2014 at 09:42 »

Steelers bring in ex-Lions S Louis Delmas.  Good player, could be a transition guy or backup but has serious (possibly degenerative) knee issues.  Getting interest from others, incentive-laden deal only IMO.  In a couple of years, no more Clark, no more Pola, so you need a transition vet IMO.  Unless we think Shark can take FS and we bring in a rook SS.

Been thinking about Pouncey lately.  Don't wish to damn by association, but.  Maurkice also wore the free Hernandez hat.  J. Martin didn't want to go to Mike's place to do drugs (assuming weed?), so odds are Maurkice does smoke - fine, until it's not.  But then Mike was part of the Incognito crowd, and so now I begin to wonder how much Maurkice is of the same mindset.  Not that that BS goes on in our locker room, but he'd naturally side with Mike, and it makes me wonder if Maurkice is the nice shiny character guy we'd hope for.  IMO, hasn't played to the hype, and has had recurring injuries.  Team did well with Velasco and Wallace, well enough to consider this.

Dolphins need to plug some holes along their line, the Pounceys would work well together, Maurkice ain't gonna be worth a big C$2 deal here, so trade him, use the backups from last year, kick tires in the draft next year.  Anyone agree?  What would we get for Maurkice with IIRC a year left to his rookie deal?

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #29 on: Feb 18, 2014 at 10:24 »

Agree about Pouncey, I move him if I can.  He's been an all-pro in the past but I've never really thought he was a good as advertised, kind of living off early success.  Add in the recurring injuries (forcing Legursky into SB 45 ffs) and his ties to Hernandez, possibly tied brothers drug use, etc., I think it's only a matter of time before something blows up. 

I'm not giving him a long term deal.  Deal him for a 2nd if possible and go with the Cody Wallace/Velasco mix for now. Use the 2nd to draft more goddamn speed on defense. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: