Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 22, 2014 at 11:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *Sigh*... 2014 Mock Draft...  (Read 7790 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #30 on: Feb 18, 2014 at 11:25 »

Yeah, agreed on Pouncey.  Get something while you can.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2014 at 11:28 »

Wow, would love to get a R2, was thinking all we could get would be R4, but who knows with these things?

Another R2, hmmmmm... BPA/D... sweet...

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Feb 18, 2014 at 11:31 »

I wouldn't classify Pouncey as a recurring injury guy.  He's really had two freak injuries.  It happens.  More about bad luck than he's got weak knees or something.

There's also no way they get a R2 for an OC coming off a pretty severe injury.  His trade value is pretty low right now, IMO.  I wouldn't be looking to deal him, anyway.  I'd just have a sit down with him and make sure he's got his shit straight and he knows where his priorities lie.  Management probably has a better sense than anybody whether he's a "problem" player or not.

Besides, you can never have too many quality offensive linemen.  Just because a few guys stepped up last year and gelled towards the end of the season doesn't mean they can afford to let a Pro Bowl center go because he may or may not be of questionable character.

He's also still under his rookie deal.  I haven't looked up the numbers, but I can't imagine there'd be a whole lot of savings if they moved him now.  I'd let him play out his final year and then reevaluate next offseason.  Player contract years tend to be a boon for the team.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Feb 18, 2014 at 13:05 »

I wouldn't classify Pouncey as a recurring injury guy.  He's really had two freak injuries.  It happens.  More about bad luck than he's got weak knees or something.

There's also no way they get a R2 for an OC coming off a pretty severe injury.  His trade value is pretty low right now, IMO.  I wouldn't be looking to deal him, anyway.  I'd just have a sit down with him and make sure he's got his shit straight and he knows where his priorities lie.  Management probably has a better sense than anybody whether he's a "problem" player or not.

Besides, you can never have too many quality offensive linemen.  Just because a few guys stepped up last year and gelled towards the end of the season doesn't mean they can afford to let a Pro Bowl center go because he may or may not be of questionable character.

He's also still under his rookie deal.  I haven't looked up the numbers, but I can't imagine there'd be a whole lot of savings if they moved him now.  I'd let him play out his final year and then reevaluate next offseason.  Player contract years tend to be a boon for the team.

I agree with all of this.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Feb 18, 2014 at 22:59 »

So… how many knee injuries before you've got 'weak knees'?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Feb 19, 2014 at 08:32 »

On the plus side, he's only 24.  But I just get the sense that he's not the clean-cut guy we might hope for.  Hope I'm wrong.  Just looking for value wherever it can be found:  not cap savings, since he's in his rookie deal, but certainly the pending C$2 deal looming.  Fair point on stocking as much OL talent as possible, always, and Velasco and Wallace being a set of data difficult to extrapolate over several seasons.  That noted, I'd say that having Munch as OL coach might help with taking lesser talent and getting the most from it; C/G is always a position where you can find value in the draft; the Dolphins may be desperate to cobble an OL in the wake of the Incognito/Martin fiasco, and willing to over-pay.

Not a great C class of rookies, but I'd poke the OGs as well to see if any can snap.  Plus we have the aforementioned guys who played well, and if I could get another R2 pick I'd roll the dice with Velasco and Wally.  Long-term cap savings, plus additional pick in a deep draft?

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Feb 19, 2014 at 11:53 »

So… how many knee injuries before you've got 'weak knees'?

To me, it's not about an amount of injuries as much as it is about how the injury occurred and whether he can make a complete recovery.  As I understand it, he's expected to make a 100% recovery.

Unless it's reported somewhere that he has something like a degenerative knee condition (similar to recent FA visit, Delmas), I chalk that kind of stuff up as a fluke, "wrong place, wrong time," kinda injury.  Par for the course and almost expected at some point in your NFL career for an offensive lineman.

If he's healthy, I still say "keep."  

I will admit that if a team does something stupid and offers a R2 for him this year, I'd definitely consider it, tho.  I just can't see that happening.  Giving up a high draft pick...for a C?  LTs are traded on the reg for mid to late day picks (didn't Steelers give up a 6th or whatever for Levi Brown last year?  Eugene Monroe?  Bryant McKinnie?  All traded away for a Mountain Dew and a case of Peeps?), but somebody gonna give Pittsburgh a R2 for a guy coming off knee surgery?  That's cray, cray, man...

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Feb 20, 2014 at 13:31 »

Prisco's list of top playmakers doesn't just go the way of the mocks and throw whatever QB du jour are being mocked top 10 into the mix.  I don't always like Prisco, but I think he and Mayock are at least following their own gut in eval.

1. Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina -- He is the best pure pass rusher to enter the league in a long time. Yes, there are questions about his attitude and other things. But he is a value player at a value position.

2. Sammy Watkins, WR, Clemson -- Explosive plays are huge in the NFL. Watkins has that type of speed. I see star written all over him.

3. Khalil Mack, OLB, Buffalo -- He is a power edge rusher who did some really good things against some big-time competition. Watch his Ohio State game.

4. Greg Robinson, T, Auburn -- Watch the way he moves. He moves like he weighs 220 pounds, but he's 320. He lacks some technique, but that can be coached.

5. Jake Matthews, T, Texas A&M -- He could be higher than Robinson on some boards and might be a better prospect than former teammate Luke Joeckel, who went second overall last year.

6. Anthony Barr, OLB, UCLA -- He has more edge speed than Mack, but I think he's a bit behind him. Barr is still learning the position though.

7. Darqueze Dennard, CB, Michigan State -- He is the top corner in a class that features some good ones. He has good size and played a ton of man at Michigan State.

8. C.J. Mosley, LB, Alabama -- Linebackers who can run are valuable. Just ask Seattle. Mosley can fly.

9. Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville -- He has a good command of the offense, and he can make all the throws. But why am I still not wowed?

10. Timmy Jernigan, DT, Florida State -- He is not as big as some inside players, but he is strong and quick. He is tough to block in one-on-one situations.

11. Taylor Lewan, T, Michigan -- Some killed him for the bowl game against Clowney two years ago, but he did some good things against him. He could be a top-10 pick.

12. Blake Bortles, QB, Central Florida -- He is big at 6-5 1/2 and 240 pounds -- bigger than listed -- and he has a Ben Roethlisberger quality about him, without the big arm.

13. Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame -- I see Vince Wilfork in him. He has battled some weight and knee issues, especially last season, but his 2012 tape is impressive.

14. Eric Ebron, TE, North Carolina -- There are reports he's added too much weight, but he played like a tight end who could get down the field at North Carolina. He's what every team wants now from the tight end spot.

15. Mike Evans, WR, Texas A&M -- He is big and strong and can handle being jammed at the line. I wonder about his 40 time.

16. Ryan Shazier, LB, Ohio State -- Here's another speed linebacker. Shazier can really move at 222 pounds. Think Lavonte David.

17. Marqise Lee, WR, USC -- He has been picked apart for his play last season, but injuries slowed him and I think he pressed too much to do too much. The quarterback play wasn't great either.

18. Zack Martin, T-G, Notre Dame -- He proved at the Senior Bowl that he could play tackle, but at lot of teams think he's a guard.

19. Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M -- I am really intrigued by what he does. But there are so many limitations as it relates to the passing tree. Can he overcome them?

20. Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix, S, Alabama -- He can run and cover and with the success of Earl Thomas in Seattle, everybody is looking for that from a safety.

21. Ra'Shede Hageman, DT, Minnesota -- At 6-6, 315 pounds, he is a huge lineman who can play in a variety of systems. I see him inside in a 4-3 like Leon Lett did for the Cowboys back in the day.

22. Odell Beckham Jr., WR, LSU -- He is small at 5-11, 200 pounds, but he made a ton of plays in a tough league. He can also help in the return game. I like him more than most I think.

23. Aaron Donald, DT, Pittsburgh -- When you watch him on tape, he reminds me of Geno Atkins. I am not saying he's that good, but he's impressive.

24. Stephon Tuitt, DE, Notre Dame -- He got hurt, got heavy and didn't play as well in 2013 as he did the year before. But he has big-time skills.

25. Cyrus Kouandijo, T, Alabama -- He had a bad Sugar Bowl, so he's getting killed for it. But he played a lot of good football at Alabama.

26. Justin Gilbert, CB, Oklahoma State -- He has good size and has the tools to play man coverage outside. He did give up some plays at times, but don't they all?

27. A.J. McCarron, QB, Alabama -- He is much more than just a game manager like some of the other Alabama quarterbacks. I see some Matt Ryan in his game.

28. Dominique Easley, DT, Florida -- He suffered a knee injury last season, or else he'd be mentioned in the top-10. He has the same type of ability as Sheldon Richardson, who won Defensive Rookie of the Year honors last season.

29. LaMarcus Joyner, CB, Florida State -- He is small at 5-8, but he is a playmaker. I think he can play free safety or nickel corner.

30. Austin Sefarian-Jenkins, TE, Washington -- After a great 2012 season, he tailed off some last season. But he has size and speed. He's one of my pet guys in this draft.

31. Jimmie Ward, FS, Northern Illinois -- Everybody is looking for those safeties who can cover. Ward, who has played some corner, is that type of player. I like him more than most.

32. Morgan Moses, T, Virginia -- He is an athletic 320-pounder who helped his stock at the Senior Bowl.

Just missed: Dee Ford, DE, Auburn; Kelvin Benjamin, WR, FSU; Derek Carr, QB, Fresno State; Kony Ealy, DE, Missouri; Allen Robinson, WR, Penn State; Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State; Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State; Jace Amaro, TE, Texas Tech; David Yankey, G, Stanford; Calvin Pryor, S, Louisville; Kyle Van Noy, OLB, BYU.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Feb 27, 2014 at 15:31 »

More mark darfts.

Kinda surprised with Kirwan's choice.  Listen to him on NFL radio and he's usually on point.  I'd be extremely surprised (read:  irritated) if Pittsburgh took a DE with their 1.15.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Feb 27, 2014 at 15:52 »

Yeah, not a big fan of Ealy or any DE R1.  The guy from NC looks like a better value in R3/4, IMO.

Dennard would be a good pick.  The safeties...  I think you can say there's not a ton of separation between these guys and guys you could find R2/3.  Not bad picks per se, but bad value, yes.  Not a ton separating HHCD and Pryor, IMO.

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: