Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 28, 2014 at 15:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: *Sigh*... 2014 Mock Draft...  (Read 8668 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Mar 03, 2014 at 17:40 »

CJ Mosley vs. Ryan Shazier?  Discuss.

Likewise:

S Deone Bucannon: under-rated?  S Dion Bailey:  under-rated?  Pryor and Ha Ha Dix over-rated?

OT class:  strong at the top, deeper than people think?

CB double-dip:  grab a top prospect R1-3, but how about another in R4-7?  Late round possibilities include injury waivers (Colvin), and under-rated guys like Oregon's Terrence Mitchell and Rice's Phillip Gaines.  Antoine Exum: could be CB, S, if he heals - already ran well enough at the combine.

DL: surprisingly weak class? 

WR:  stuffed to excess.  There will be day 3 WR who would be R2 picks other years.  Value everywhere.  How much separation is there from tier 1 to tier 2, etc.?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #41 on: Mar 03, 2014 at 18:19 »

I like the double-dip idea.  When the Steelers double-dipped for WRs they got AB in the 6th, wasn't it?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #42 on: Mar 04, 2014 at 10:22 »

Mayock now lists S Jimmie Ward (NIU) as his #3, ahead of Bucannon (whom I like very much), but behind Pryor and Dix.  Sniffed this one out a few months back when he was rated R4-5, but R2 might be a little rich.  I'd still put him behind Bucannon, or R3, if we had a mid-3.  Which we don't.  So R2 or not.

Also called Bortles, who is in a contentious mix for the top QB among a shaky field.  I liked Bortles when he was getting zero press, as a possible R2 QB to groom behind Ben, with whom he shares some qualities.  At 1.15 not so much, and as a 1.1-1.10, I think the "draft a QB" craziness has set in. 

Lastly, Pierre Desir was tabbed by yours truly as a small school CB prospect to watch, and now he's shown well at the Senior Bowl and tested well at combine, and thus has probably moved from R3-5 up to R2 as well.  Big frame, some nice skills, compares to Cortez Allen.  R2 again seems too rich, but he could fall to the R3C, at which point he's in play: LOC will determine where he goes, and the 4.59 combine time is not blazing.  But he does get some good reviews from those in the know and looks pretty smooth.

Whiffed:  Beau Allen.  Tale of two tapes.  Forget the early season game I saw where his motor caught my eye, and he did have a nice Shrine showing.  A late season game he all but disappeared, wasn't a combine invite, and now appears to be a UDFA or R7 type.  Has the frame for NT.  Is conditioning an issue?  Will need to see the workouts. 

Likewise whiffed:  NT Justin Ellis, La. Tech, fell (far) short of the bar on reps.  But Ark. St. NT Ryan Carrethers, also on the small school NT radar, hit 31 IIRC, and so moves into play R5ish.  Has the frame, would need coached up to be sure.

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #43 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 12:41 »

Kiper's newest mock has the Steelers going Odell Beckham Jr in the first, Louis Nix III in the second, and Antone Exum in the third.

Is there a snowball's chance in hell Nix is there at the Steelers second round pick?  That would be quite a haul.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #44 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 13:40 »

Kiper's off his nut.

Beckham at 1.15?  Don't think so.  Steelers had a combine visit with Donte Moncrief, and also brought him back yesterday for a formal visit.  I think they like his value at R2, and I'm going to make my early call a la Bell last year, he's their boy in R2.  Dropoff from Beckham?  Don't see any.  Better value. Off the charts metrics.

Nix in R2?  Well, just like RBs, NTs are getting some downward valuation, based on less time spent in the base.  I suppose he could fall to mid-2, but I think he gets snapped up late 1.

I like Exum.  Interesting player, could be a big Seahawks type CB, or more likely a big and nasty S.  Coming off some bad injury shit, but I think he'll be ready for camp, ran pretty well at Indy, IIRC worked out at pro day.  Not a R3.  R4 maybe, possibly as late as R5 with the knee questions. 

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #45 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 13:40 »

Interesting mix there.  Doesn't seem like N3 would be there at what, 47?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #46 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 14:04 »

Forgot to put in the original post, he had all of Evans, Dennard, Gilbert, Ebron, etc. off the board by 1.15.  I think one of the CBs and probably Ebron has to be there.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #47 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 14:16 »

Starting to lose interest in Ebron: fast, but not Vernon Davis-fast; way too many drops; bad pro day. 

Bleacher Reports had a R1 mock that had SF trade up from 1.30 (with the 2.61) to take Dennard; we sat tight and drafted Fuller.  IMO, dropoff from Dennard to Fuller (if any) is worth a 2.61.  So, I'd love to pick up the extra R2.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #48 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 14:18 »

Starting to lose interest in Ebron: fast, but not Vernon Davis-fast; way too many drops; bad pro day. 

Bleacher Reports had a R1 mock that had SF trade up from 1.30 (with the 2.61) to take Dennard; we sat tight and drafted Fuller.  IMO, dropoff from Dennard to Fuller (if any) is worth a 2.61.  So, I'd love to pick up the extra R2.

Yeah I'd definitely be on board with this.
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: