Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 21, 2014 at 12:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blasphemy from the preacher  (Read 1761 times)
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« on: Nov 03, 2013 at 23:01 »

Can I suggest that it's time to make a change in the head coach, as well as the FO?

Can I suggest that, in spite of the blatant lack of talent, the Tomlin is responsible for the lack of preparation?

Can I suggest that it MAY be time for LeBeau to retire?  Thought he did one of his best coaching jobs ever last season. This year, he has little to work with, but the defense is appallingly bad.

Can I suggest that Tomlin bears great responsibility for recent draft picks?

Can I suggest that 7 years in the present NFL is comparable to 21 years or 15 years from the previous NFL seasons, so it's not horrible to suggest a new coach?

Can I suggest that Tomlin comes across as more bull-headed and unwilling to change than Cowher?

If Tomlin stays, then mgmnt has a right to demand some changes from him.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2013 at 09:07 »

I'm on the record, reboot the whole shebang.  Rip it down to the studs, then burn the studs. 

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2013 at 09:17 »

I think we need a complete overhaul.  I've discussed the draft issues previously (and note that a team like NE can pick at the bottom every year and still not have slumps like ours).  Tomlin has shown he is incapable of rallying the team, even very talented teams (cf. Cowher teams of the Kent Graham era):  

• 2009 - A year removed from winning the Super Bowl, the 6-2 Steelers embark on an ambitious 5-game losing stretch, not merely losing to bad teams, but to frankly godawful teams (a Tomlin trademark): Bengals, the 4-12 Chiefs, Ravens, the 5-11 Raiders (!), and the 5-11 Browns.
  • 2012 - Two years removed from the SB loss and one year removed from Tebaucle in Denver, the Steelers again unleash hell, losing 5 of 6:  Ravens, the 5-11 Browns (deja voodoo), the Charlie Batch win at the Ravens, loss to 7-9 Chargers, loss to 8-8 Cowboys, loss to Bengals.

And then of course the 2013 trail of tears.

It's worth noting that those shitty 5-11 teams would have actually been 4-12 had we taken care of business.  

In sum:  5 playoff years (2 SB appearances, 1 SB win); 3 years of inexplicable inability to properly prepare the team.   But we are trending away from dominance, clearly.  The SB win came early, the 2012 and 2013 seasons back-to-back uglies.  Don't know how many times in the 3 horrible seasons I posted something to the effect that That was the worst game I've seen in a long time. Know what?  I've come to expect the shit now.  

Tomlin is ABSOLUTELY to blame for lack of prep.  Other teams do more with less, consistently.  Again, NE has some serious losses (through free agency and injury), but they keep "getting lucky."  Every year, but especially this year.  LeBeau seems not to be able to adjust to the passing game any more.  Haley is hit or miss.  I don't know if any coach out there could turn this chickenshit OL into chicken salad.

TomBert bear responsibility for the declining draft returns equally.  I saw one Gronk TD had Jarvis Jones covering him.  You know, that's pretty unbefuckinglievable, given Jones runs about as fast as Rich Eisen.  I'm not going to rehash the litany of draft failures, because I don't relish the taste of puke in my mouth.

There are no mid-season, symbolic firings that will do jack shit, either.

We need to look to NFL coordinators and collegiate coaches and other teams assistant GMs, and re-think everything.  They didn't broadcast the Pats game here and I'm frankly just as glad they didn't.  I don't think I'll watch this team live again this season, it's like watching a raccoon gnaw its own leg off to get out of a trap.  In previous years, the maddening aspect was the disparity between talent (good) and performance (abysmal).  Now, the talent is showing signs of decline, and that pretty much spells a few years of suck unless something drastic happens.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 04, 2013 at 09:29 »

After they lose the last game (thus completing a SWEEP by the Browns) it would be cool to see the press release that the entire front office and coaching staff have been shit-canned.  Just don't hire some retread like Wade Phirrips. *shudder*

And let's hope the next coaching hire is based on substance, not style or pma bullshit.  I'd like an above the line strategist, please.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Nov 04, 2013 at 22:00 »

Honestly, outside of the Oline, there are some reasonably good pieces on offense. Incomplete, but reasonably good. Keep encountering people who want to blame Ben. He's had plenty of screw-ups this year, but he is hardly the biggest concern as far as his performance on the field. Bigger concern, as raised earlier on this board, is how the Steelers can accumulate any additional talent while carrying Ben's huge salary.

My biggest argument against Haley is that he seems as bull-headed as Tomlin, and carries that on his resume. It could still be argued that the offense has looked best when Ben is running it from the field. Why keep a coordinator if the offense is better when he's less involved?

Tomlin did well when he had solid talent, and plenty of veteran leaders to compensate for his inadequacies. He now has none of that (and as good as Ben is, his leadership qualities do not inspire). BTW, I think it is noteworthy that the performance and effort has dramatically declined since the departure of #86.

I'm typing this as I was Josh McCown and Alshon Jeffrey pick apart Green Bay. IIRC, we could have drafted Jeffrey. And we have yet another glaring example of the lack of ability to evaluate talent, and I sense that Tom-Bert has absolutely lost any knack they might have had.

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2013 at 00:57 »

IIRC, we could have drafted Jeffrey. And we have yet another glaring example of the lack of ability to evaluate talent, and I sense that Tom-Bert has absolutely lost any knack they might have had.

Really?  Alshon Jeffrey is your best example?

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2013 at 10:28 »

I don't have much issue with Haley since the Minnesota game, though he abandoned too early IMO against the Pats (I think I see two runs for Bell and one for Ben, though that may have been a broken play, which was to be a run anyway).  But maybe Haley and Ben had decided the only way was through the air in order to keep up with the Pats.  Too much wrong on defense for me to look at the offense after this one.

I really think there is a lack of leadership on this team, particularly on defense.  The highly paid guys aren't leaders (Woodley, Timmons and Polamalu).  Clark talks through the media but I'm not sure if he is rallying the DBs together on the sideline after a bad series.  Long gone are the days of Joey Porter and James Farrior (and the quiet leadership of Aaron Smith).  I don't see anything in the pipeline either.

Clark will be gone after this season.  I don't know the cap implication of Troy's cut but he's not worth the >$8M hit in 2014.  But is Sharmako Thomas able to take on Clark's spot w/ a new SS?  I think they'd have to pickup a FA SS.  All depends on the $ cost v. on-field performance v. Troy's $ v. on-field performance, I guess.

I thought McBriar should have been faulted more for his short hanging punt that was returned 40+ yards by Edleman.  But I guess he's new and the FA punter market is drying up. 

Ultimately, this team is what it is.  Tomlin has shuffled the depth chart (Cortez Allen, Ziggy Hood and Jarvis Jones), made a trade (Levi Brown), and picked up a FA (Will Allen and Velasco).  This team is what it is due to poor retention of young, developing players as much as it is at fault of drafting poorly.  I would have been ok dumping Ike and re-signing Keenan Lewis as the trajectory for both were inverse moving forward, with short-term cap relief.  Fine with a guy like Mike Wallace going as the Steelers could afford to move forward with out him.  But the years of drafting and quickly cutting 5th-7th round guys in lieu of retaining marginal vets and retreads has hurt the Steelers. While their squads aren't top of the NFL, a quick look around the NFL shows Kraig Urbik, Chris Scott and AQ Shipley starting on offensive lines.  We kept guys like Trai Essex due position flexibility, despite playing anyone of those positions at a very low level, and let a guy like Doug Legursky go due to lack of position flexibility (we were in crisis mode when Pouncey was injured, as Beachum was obviously not the answer; Legursky is starting at LG for the Bills).  We draft Terry Hawthorne this year and he doesn't make it out of the final cuts nor does he make it on to the practice squad (or anyone's PS, for that matter).  Chris Rainey and Alameda Ta'amu had their off-field troubles (Ta'amu is getting significant playing time in AZ) and were released. Who is maning the controls? 

We are paying the piper for the competitive Superbowl years.  Guys like Chris Hoke and Larry Foote (when he was a backup) kept young guys off the field but allowed the Steelers to have very solid depth.  The expense is that fringe, young guys didn't make it on to the roster and latched on elsewhere.  As such, when the team aged, there was no one ready to step in.  We've kept that MO this year; is Hebron Fangupo really going to ever play for this team?  Have to move out of that going forward. 

My thought for the 2014 is to draft a LT in Rd1 if they plan on extending Ben (if Ben wants to continue playing within this mess).  No reason to take a chance, as we have twice in the past 3 years, on a tackle in the 2nd round.  And the investment in Ben deserves quality investment in the OL.  I realize the Steelers believe they have done that with Pouncey, DeCastro, Gilbert and Adams but the ends certainly have not panned out. 

If the Steelers choose to move forward w/o extending Ben, I'm okay drafting a WR, etc. 

It is a mess that won't be resolved this year.  Tomlin has what he has. 

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2013 at 11:47 »

Really?  Alshon Jeffrey is your best example?

No. Just happened to be watching him physically dominate Green Bay's secondary while I was typing the post, and just listing him as yet another example.

Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Nov 06, 2013 at 12:00 »

If the Steelers choose to move forward w/o extending Ben, I'm okay drafting a WR, etc.

I like Ben a lot better than others on the board; however, it is worth asking whether or not the cost of retaining him is worth it, considering the absence of overall talent. I do not believe he is even close to the biggest problem. But his cap number is. When you have one guy taking up b/t 16-23 million over the next couple of years, it's going to be awfully difficult to accumulate players. And everyone is arguing that this is the year to draft a QB. I don't know if that's true, but it looks pretty good right now.

Saw an article earlier today on why fans are not questioning Dick LeBeau the way that they are Haley and Tomlin. DL has a much more significant resume than Haley, and he is working with a much more limited talent pool right now IMO. However, the man is in his late 70s. If he is one of the changes that must be made, then so be it. I have the upmost respect for him and what he has done, but everyone has to reach a stopping point. Would rather him step away rather than have his legacy demeaned by coaching this bunch of stiffs.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2013 at 13:14 »

From Wexell/Scout.com:

TRADE BEN?

Having some extra draft-pick firepower would certainly help the Steelers get back to the Super Bowl in the six years it took those 1999 wretches, so that naturally brings up the question of whether to trade Ben Roethlisberger after the season.

The following questions would have to be answered in the affirmative before it could even be considered:

* Would there be a partner willing to trade a couple of first-round picks?

* Would the cap be sufficiently relieved?

* Is there a capable replacement?

The answer to the first question is an obvious yes. Roethlisberger will turn 32 next March, is throwing the ball as well as ever, and a team trading for him wouldn't be responsible for the cap hit of previous bonus money it took to sign him to his contract.

And that's another attractive point: He has two years, not one year, remaining on his contract and would certainly be amenable to a contract extension with his new team.

The answer to the second question isn't quite so affirmative. According to our cap expert at SteelCityInsider.net, Ian Whetstone, the Steelers would only realize $5.31 million in cap savings by trading Roethlisberger. If they were to trade him after June 1 -- which probably wouldn't be feasible to his new team -- the Steelers would realize $12.1 million in cap savings, but would still be on the books for $6.8 million in 2015.

If a new direction, a pair of additional first-round picks, and $5.3 million is enough for the Steelers to continue this exploration, they need to answer the third question with confidence:

Is there a capable replacement -- an Andrew Luck-for-Peyton Manning caliber of replacement -- available to them?

Well, I don't know if Marcus Mariota is Luck, but Roethlisberger's not Manning, either, so perhaps the answer could be yes; if the Steelers know they can get high enough to draft Mariota.

While Teddy Bridgewater of Louisville reminds me of a bigger Russell Wilson -- a guy I liked coming out -- Bridgewater, like Wilson, throws a high number of looping passes off a three-quarters flick. Yes, that's a Wilson trademark, but I liked Wilson as a fourth-rounder, not a top 5 guy. I just have some questions about Bridgewater's arm in that regard, and really don't know anything about his intelligence and ability to read defenses.

I have no such reservation about Mariota, who seems to have Luck's arm and intelligence, but is more comparable to Colin Kaepernick, physically, with his exceptional mobility and read-option experience.

Could you imagine the Steelers going pistol and read-option?

In spite of Tomlin's comments about that offense in the off-season, I can imagine it. The Steelers have the makings of an extremely mobile offensive line and have already begun phasing in the necessary zone-blocking schemes. And they have a back in Bell who would complement Mariota and help turn this offense back into the physical northern outdoor running team that it must be.

The 49ers run the ball 55 percent of the time, and Kaepernick seems sturdy enough and his ballhandling deft enough to make it work.

Mariota's out of the same mold, and so I'll be ...

Cuts off, nothing much to see anyway.

If we're drafting 1.8 +/- 2, I hope we're looking at WR Watkins, WR Evans, LT Lewan... who else?  Assuming 1.1 = Bridgewater to Jags, and 1.4 or so is LT Matthews to NYG.

If we trade Ben, I'm guessing Arians at ~1.15 would be interested for numerous reasons.  Have to think the pick would be QB.  Or is it?  After Bridgewater it gets confusing, at least for now.  Mariota, Boyd, Manziel, Mettenberger, and Carr are getting some talk as R1 guys.  UCLA's Hundley, but I don't think he declares.  Aaron Murray and AJ McCarron should be there top of R2.  Who do you trust to be the future of the franchise?

IMO, Mariota goes top 10.  Boyd, sort of a Russell Wilson?  Manziel, I just have a feeling he's a great college QB who's going to struggle to transition.  Mettenberger, sub-pro completion percentage against top LOC.  Saw Hundley and was not impressed.  Carr (David's little bro) is putting up numbers, but what LOC?  Mountain West.  Murray?  A little small (as is Boyd and Manziel) and has some bad completion percentages in stretches.  McCarron has good stats, size, but is he inflated by surrounding cast?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: