Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 20:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 14 - Dec 8 - Miami @ Pittsburgh  (Read 2349 times)
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #30 on: Dec 08, 2013 at 17:14 »

So the Jarvis Jones pick was a good one....

Yeah you think Jarbust would have shown a SINGLE flash as a pass rusher. Or made one fuckjng splash play all yeah. Tombert is a jackass in so many ways.

At least Antonio Brown an Mike Wallace got to trade jerseys after the game. Clownshoes.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: Dec 08, 2013 at 17:59 »

So the Jarvis Jones pick was a good one....

The Bro-in-Law is a huge Georgia fan, so I constantly have to hear about how "great" Jarvis is and how the Steelers just aren't using him correctly and how he was the only one on defense doing anything until he got hurt and blah blah blah.

Finally had to tell him on Thanksgiving that JJ is like the rest of the Georgia Bulldogs:  Useless against anyone other than Kentucky.

On a brighter note, Worilds actually looks competent. Woodley almost made a play, bringing his average salary for plays he almost made to only about to about $52,667 per "almost". On the other hand, the Steelers are paying him $632,000 per actual sack.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

Re:
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2013 at 19:13 »

On the bright side, they still have a top 12 pick!

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2013 at 19:25 »

They need to keep Worilds.  Jarbust may evolve into competency, but until then it needs to be W+W.

Cam Heyward is becoming the guy I'd hoped he be.  He's actually very good.  And will get better.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2013 at 20:53 »

Cam Heyward is becoming the guy I'd hoped he be.  He's actually very good.  And will get better.

Need a true NT to go with him. But that play where he pulled the kid down by the jersey was incredible. Takes serious strength vs. NFL back

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2013 at 21:41 »

The one thing I will say about Jones is that very few rookies figure out this system in one year, even though he supposedly was more ready than most.  Timmons took a few years, Troy was nonexistent his rookie year.

Draft, here we come.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Dec 09, 2013 at 08:34 »

The one thing I will say about Jones is that very few rookies figure out this system in one year, even though he supposedly was more ready than most.  Timmons took a few years, Troy was nonexistent his rookie year.

Draft, here we come.

This is true, and a year with strength and conditioning may help with issues at the POA.  If he can get the mental aspect, it may compensate for some speed issues.  Hell, we're just now seeing what Worilds can do.

But I will say that we saw some flashes with Troy his rookie season.  Steelers-Rams October 26, 2003:  Steelers were still trying to find any semblance of speed amongst their DBs.  We drafted Troy R1 and Ike R4.  Starters included:  FS Brent "Burnt" Alexander (Chris Hope was drafted 2002, I don't think he was starting yet), SS Mike Logan, and CBs DeWayne Washington and Chad "Charred" Scott.  (Also on the roster, CB Deshea Townshend, who had to wait a few before getting his shot [Huh?], and ST ace Chidi Iwuoma.)

Miserable fucking game, 1000th game in team history.  Rained like a motherfucker.  We were there.  Torry Holt racked up 175.  But the one play that I remember was an INT gliding right... through... Pola's... hands.  What amazed me was that he was actually fast enough to be in position, and heady enough to know where to be, to even be in position to make the play.  The beginning of the end of that shitty secondary.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #37 on: Dec 09, 2013 at 08:52 »

Why is it every other NFL team can get rookies to step right in on defense but for some reason ours is a bizarre puzzle that takes years to figure out?

A year in the weight room may help Jones, I just don't see anything special about him.  I think Woodley had 4 or 5 sacks as a rook, and you could see the potential.  I remember guys like Porter and Holmes having a nose for the ball, whether it was preseason or not.

Obviously he gets another year, but the only other guys on this defense who should be guaranteed spots next year are Worilds (if they can sign him), Heyward, Troy, and Timmons.  There's some guys with potential I guess in Allen, Mac (as a DE) and Shamarko but they really need to clean house.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Dec 09, 2013 at 09:47 »

Not intending to be argumentative; would expect some issues with coverage, against the run and conditioning (length of the season... would expect him to be hitting the rookie wall about this time).  But JJ has seen a lot of snaps as a pass rusher and I expect better than he has given. 

And it is a shame given what Worilds has done this year, but who could have seen that given his hx with the team (injuries).  Worilds likely gets us a 4th/5th Comp pick in 2015.  Good for him as it was the year to get the dough.  He may go elsewhere and be injured or play poorly.  But good for him and his agent

Cam Heyward has been a real nice surprise on an otherwise disappointing season.  Looks like the bridge from Aaron Smith.  Zig Hood is gone at the end of the season and Keisel is done.  Not sure if Arnfelt is anything other than JaG but it may be time to find out by putting Keisel on IR (though, the Steelers don't seem like the type of org that lets that type of player ride off in to the sunset in that way).  Cut Fangupo and go with McClendon and Woods as NT and bring Arnfelt up.  Nick Williams next year?  I think they should sign/draft a NT to backup McC and let Woods give it a shot at end.

For as nice as Troy's TD was, the rest of his day was as bad. Troy really is a dime backer at this point.  Ryan Clark will not be back next year. We saw that Ike was going downhill last year but luckily restructured his contract to increase his cap hit next year.  He likely takes a paycut and stays next year.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Dec 09, 2013 at 13:03 »

I don't know what you guys think, but this Bell guy is pretty good.

thumb

And at 26-14 with 2:45 to go, it looks like CLE is gonna pull off a massive upset @NE.

D’oh!

Even if AB hadn't stepped out of bounds, Ben's lateral sure did look like a forward pass.

Yep.  Looked like it went forward about a yard.  Pitched at the 32, caught at the 33.  Imagine the reaction when that one gets reversed upon further review.

Pittsburgh Steelers Great Last Play of Game vs. Miami Dolphins 12/08/13

Still, the defense totally sucked in the second half. Couldn't tackle a two year old.

Yep.

They need to keep Worilds.  Jarbust may evolve into competency, but until then it needs to be W+W.

Cam Heyward is becoming the guy I'd hoped he be.  He's actually very good.  And will get better.

From last year’s roster, I think Worilds is the biggest surprise of the season.

Need a true NT to go with him.

If he doesn’t command too much coin, B.J. Raji.

But the one play that I remember was an INT gliding right... through... Pola's... hands.  What amazed me was that he was actually fast enough to be in position, and heady enough to know where to be, to even be in position to make the play.  The beginning of the end of that shitty secondary.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.  Sounds an awful lot like the first pickle TP should’ve had on Sunday.  Thing is, I think that happens not because he can’t catch (read: Ike), but because in his mind, he’s already caught the ball and is looking 3 or 4 steps ahead to taking it back.  Like he did a little later in the game.

A year in the weight room may help Jones, I just don't see anything special about him.  I think Woodley had 4 or 5 sacks as a rook, and you could see the potential.  I remember guys like Porter and Holmes having a nose for the ball, whether it was preseason or not.

Obviously he gets another year, but the only other guys on this defense who should be guaranteed spots next year are Worilds (if they can sign him), Heyward, Troy, and Timmons.  There's some guys with potential I guess in Allen, Mac (as a DE) and Shamarko but they really need to clean house.

Totally agree.  Didn’t like it at the time…still don’t.  You can teach technique, scheme, different moves, things to watch and look for, but you can’t teach speed.  He doesn’t the explosion you need to be a wreaks havoc type of pass rusher.  Honestly, I don’t see a place for him on this defense.  Like Mendenhall, he’s lucky he was a first round pick because that will buy him some additional time to try to “get it.”  I expect the same outcome, tho.

Cut Fangupo and go with McClendon and Woods as NT and bring Arnfelt up.

Haven’t looked into options much yet, but keeping McLendon and Heyward at DE (with Woods and Arnfelt as backups) and signing a guy like BJ Raji to play the nose would go a long way to getting that side of the ball back on track.
« Last Edit: Dec 09, 2013 at 13:17 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: