Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 16, 2014 at 10:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blow Up the Steelers  (Read 2899 times)
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2013 at 15:10 »

Also agree about Lebeau.  One of the greatest ever, but this seems like the best time to transition to Butler or whoever is taking over. 

Apparently if they cut Woodley after June 2 it frees up 8 million and they only(!) eat 5.5 of dead money.  Also, cutting Troy outright saves them about 8 million.  Don't really want them to cut troy, and cutting Woodley after June 2 doesn't really help resign Worilds anyways, but something creative has to be done.

Douchette mentioned in his chat he thinks Ike can transition to free safety?  Never really though about that.  He's lost a step and can't catch a cold but still has more speed than the corpse of Ryan Clark and we know he isn't afraid to tackle. If they are tied to him next year, who knows. 

LambertsFrontTeeth
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2013 at 15:16 »

Wouldn't mind seeing Ike transition to safety...if he could catch. But he can't, so, I don't know. What the hell, worth a try...

"Dreith said I hit Sipe too hard. I hit him as hard as I could. Brian has a chance to go out of bounds and he decides not to. He knows I'm going to hit him. And I do. History."
- - - Jack Lambert, after referee Ben Dreith ejected him from a game for knocking out Browns QB Brian Sipe.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2013 at 15:43 »

If I were Colbert, I'd look very hard at teams playing the 3-4 who might need an OLB and shop Woodley, with the idea of keeping Worilds. (Cardinals, reunited with BA? Chargers? Saints?) I'd point out that Woodley is fifth among players under 30 in total sacks (57.0, behind Mario Williams - 75.5, Tamba Hali - 73.5, Elvis Dumervil - 73.0, and Justin Tuck - 58.0), and would push for a R2 pick. If teams balked because he's missed 12 starts over the past 3 years, I'd counter with the point "Imagine how many sacks he would have had if he'd made all those starts."

There would be plenty of teams that would consider paying one of the top OLBs 3 years, $25.5M, and give up a draft pick. We'd bite $14,170,000 in dead money, but the offset would be getting a draft pick and some overall cap relief.

Jarvis as an ILB... something to at least consider.  But if we would move Woodley, then I'd probably stick with developing him as OLB.

Wouldn't cut Troy, I'd at least keep him for 2014 and let him play out his contract.  But the time is now to groom the future at both S positions.  Ike to S?  No.  Not at all.  He's got better speed than Clark or Troy, but lacks the smarts to diagnose.  It would just be ugly.  Keep Ike his final year, and transition to youth.

Spence is a wild card.  No idea there, but a smart FO would not count on him, his rainbows and unicorns happy recovery story notwithstanding. 

Another wild card?  Fangupo.  I'd love to see them play Fangs at nose and Mac at DE across from Heyward, just to try it out.  Fangupo is strong, and he's got that stout plugger shape for a NT.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Dec 16, 2013 at 13:12 »

I have been surprised by Heyward. He's not great, but he seems to give great effort and, can we say, is above average at the position? Maybe one less concern.

Every time I watch him, I get more disappointed with Jones. I don't know what he did in college, but it is not translating at all to the pros, at least not now. Woods seems serviceable, but still not that guy to dominate the point of attack.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Dec 16, 2013 at 13:20 »

Every time I watch him, I get more disappointed with Jones. I don't know what he did in college, but it is not translating at all to the pros, at least not now. Woods seems serviceable, but still not that guy to dominate the point of attack.

I think it's hilarious when the announcers refer to him as this "up and coming stud prospect" or whatever other accolade that's reserved for a rookie that's making a noticeable impact.

I'm like...who?  Guess we know who watches Steeler games and who doesn't...

Woods looked damn good yesterday.  Immovable.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Dec 16, 2013 at 15:01 »

Heyward is definitely coming up.  And the way Woods played the middle, it seemed to help Hood, no?

Heaven forbid we shuffle the F7 and try:

LDE:  Heyward (Arnfelt)
LT:  McLendon (Fangupo)
RT:  Woods
RDE:  Hood (Keisel)

LOLB:  Worilds
ROLB:  Woodley (Jones)
MLB: Timmons (V. Williams)

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2013 at 10:38 »

http://sportsblogs.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers-steelers-blog/2013/12/17/Why-the-Steelers-will-part-ways-with-Woodley/stories/201312170002?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Dec 17, 2013 at 11:15 »

Writing's on the wall.  It bums me out too because I always had high expectations and hopes that Woodman would be a pass rushing beast for years.  Seems like his production and general ability to stay healthy conveniently coincided with the signing of that big, fat contract.  Think Harrison's decline and eventual release played a part too.  At the time, Woodley was a great complimentary impact defensive player.  That's not what you'd expect from someone who's the second highest paid player on the team, tho.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Dec 17, 2013 at 12:03 »

Heyward is definitely coming up.  And the way Woods played the middle, it seemed to help Hood, no?

Yeah Woods has done nothing but impress me with his play.  Maybe he's not a complete stud NT but seems like a guy who should be there going forward with Mac at end.

Hood seems to only be good at getting penetration (that's what she said), but on his sack Heyward destroyed two blockers.  Ziggy does look like he'd be much better suited for a 4-3 though.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #19 on: Dec 18, 2013 at 11:09 »

...Woodman would be a pass rushing beast for years.  Seems like his production and general ability to stay healthy conveniently coincided with the signing of that big, fat contract.

Not just seems, that's exactly how it timed out.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: