Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 12:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Week 15 - Dec. 15 - Cincinnati @ Pittsburgh  (Read 1989 times)
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2013 at 00:07 »

Am I the only one who thinks Leveon Bell is a sorry-ass excuse for a R2 pick?

I'm loving me some Bell.  The numbers may not look good, but damn, he sure does when he runs.  I'm thinking he'll be fine.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2013 at 08:25 »

I was ambivalent about Bell when we took him; I think he's shown some terrific stuff, actually, considering how he was rushed into action with the injury, and as noted how he's playing behind an OL that is put through the chipper on a weekly basis.  IMO it's easier to flash a la Dwyer in limited action as the COP guy; if roles were reversed, we might see YPC reversed as well.  Bell, with a season of conditioning and a taste of the action, is going to be a strong every down back, and the fact that he's a solid component of the passing game is a very pleasant surprise.

Went to bed when we were up 24-0.  Can't believe I'm admitting this, but my thought was We're winning this game.  Where the fuck has this team been all season? 

I like the trend of breaking Bengals' jaws.  Although busting up the punter is slightly less impressive than having a WR bust up one of their LBs, but still.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2013 at 08:30 »

I thought with the 'Phins winning, we were mathematically out. But I guess the tie-breaker format changes when there are more than two teams tied? So there must be some unlikely scenario of multiple teams finishing 8-8, where the Steelers would get the #6 spot?

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2013 at 08:54 »

I thought with the 'Phins winning, we were mathematically out. But I guess the tie-breaker format changes when there are more than two teams tied? So there must be some unlikely scenario of multiple teams finishing 8-8, where the Steelers would get the #6 spot?

PIT wins out + NYJ wins out + MIA loses to BUF + SD loses 1 of last 2 (v OAK, KC) + BAL loses 2 of last 3 (DET, NE, CIN)

The tie-breaker is basically Jets would beat out Miami and we'd beat the Jets.  Not sure what's more unlikely, the Jets winning out, us winning out, or the rest of that bullshit happening.

If AB doesn't step out (I know, I know), Detroit beating the Ravens tonight would put us in the 6 spot.  What a woulda, shoulda, coulda, type of year it's been.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2013 at 09:26 »

No problem!

One season, late 80s, they needed a bunch of help on the final day and everything fell into place.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2013 at 10:44 »

It *was* good to see a win though.  The draft is what it will be.  Maybe back-to-back mediocre seasons will refocus all concerned and we can look forward to a better 2014 season.  Yeah, that's the ticket.  Although, it's really 3 years running IMO.  Even though they were 12-4 in 2011, you could see the signs of what we have now happening back then.  No idea how that team went 12-4.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2013 at 12:59 »

IMO it's easier to flash a la Dwyer in limited action as the COP guy; if roles were reversed, we might see YPC reversed as well.

That's very true. We've seen that RB before that we thought could be "the guy" because they made some big plays at certain times. Still, I'm not sure what Dwyer did to get so deep into the dog house, and think that he should be getting the ball a little more regularly.

As for Bell:  Yes, he is a good receiver and can lower the shoulder better than I expected. But I have a hard time seeing him as a real long-term solution at RB. He seems to wait too long to make a decision on where to go with the ball and the bounce-out can only take you so far. Maybe that will improve with more experience though, and how can you tell anything with this oline?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2013 at 13:08 »

Wanted to add that Beachum, while certainly not "the answer" at tackle long-term IMO, is a pretty tough player. For a guy who is way under-sized at the position, he certainly plays a lot bigger than Adams or Gilbert. I would count on him ahead of a lot of other guys that we've drafted in recent years.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2013 at 14:06 »

No problem!

One season, late 80s, they needed a bunch of help on the final day and everything fell into place.

Yes, I remember it well.  A Mark Stock dropped pass away...

Anyways, I hope the "scenario impossible" happens next week.  I'll be at Heinz for the first time in a few years for the finale.
steelerfaninCO
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: Dec 16, 2013 at 21:50 »

Am I the only one who thinks Leveon Bell is a sorry-ass excuse for a R2 pick?

I'm loving me some Bell.  The numbers may not look good, but damn, he sure does when he runs.  I'm thinking he'll be fine.

The question becomes, would you rather see Mendy in there or Bell? I take Bell in a heartbeat. He is going to be a pretty good 3 down back. Has exceptional patience, and an ability to make a cut and go. Is pretty physical with a knack for falling forward. I don't think we will see a ton of super long runs, but will pound it in there snapping off 7 yard, 12 yard runs on a consistent basis. He seems to have pretty good hands and one of receptions last night was pretty nice when he was running away from Ben. He blocks ok as well.... I don't think he is Dickerson material, and will probably never be truly elite, but he is way better than Mendy ( fumblezilla). With a decent OL, I can see him being a very solid all around player. And any guy who goes in like that on the goal line with the game on the line ( against the Rats no less) gets some props. Eff that stupid helmet rule , that was a motherfucking TD

KTBFFH
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: