Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 20, 2014 at 09:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Presumptuous  (Read 2455 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Dec 17, 2013 at 10:52 »

I'm not sure I understand.  Are you saying the coach makes the QB?  I've always believed that the QB makes the coach. 

Not trying to detract from what Mr. Personality has accomplished as HC of the Pastries, but I don't think he accomplishes a fraction of it without #12.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 17, 2013 at 12:32 »

I'm not sure I understand.  Are you saying the coach makes the QB?  I've always believed that the QB makes the coach. 

Not trying to detract from what Mr. Personality has accomplished as HC of the Pastries, but I don't think he accomplishes a fraction of it without #12.

I think this is one situation where their strengths dovetail just about perfectly.  What Belichick wants in a QB, Brady has.  I think Brady would have failed as a starter for a lot of teams in this league, and Belichick could have failed as HC had Brady not come along.  Perfect storm.  Don't think the QB makes the coach or vice versa; it's always a two-way interaction. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2013 at 12:48 »

What's odd is that BB doesn't even seem to pay attention to the offense. How many OCs has Brady had? I guess Brady probably is the OC.

That team may shit the bed for a quarter or sometimes a half, but how often do they piss away an entire game?

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Dec 17, 2013 at 14:46 »

What's odd is that BB doesn't even seem to pay attention to the offense. How many OCs has Brady had? I guess Brady probably is the OC.

That team may shit the bed for a quarter or sometimes a half, but how often do they piss away an entire game?

Belichick cut his teeth as a defensive coordinator, but he clearly had a vision of what he wanted from the offense, and the carousel of OCs has run it.  I don't think of any of them as being brilliant offensive minds.  McDaniels and Weis, their time away from the Pats was unremarkable at best.  O'Brien has done a solid job of righting the PSU ship, but I still think Belichick implemented a certain philosophy and then the OCs carried it out.

Think of the shift in offensive philosophy from 2001 to the present:  then, you needed a strong running game, a balanced game, to ensure defenses couldn't zero in on the pass; Belichick basically said No, you don't.  The Colts, after Edgerrin James left, basically agreed with this and said fuck it all.  Belichick went one further.  He said, I can succeed with a bunch of B-list WR talent.  Sure, he brought in Randy Moss and Chad Ocho Cinco, with varying degrees of success, but well after both had seen their peak years:  we've even talked about how conceited Belichick was in thinking he could rehab every basket case in the NFL (Haynesworth).  The offense evolved from short, high-percentage passing to more wide open, from smallish WRs to again going against the grain and loading up on big TE who could catch.  And it should be obvious to anyone who's hated the Pats through the Brady era that there's a very high degree of discipline to that offense. 

So yeah, the offense has Belichick's imprint all over it, from the various against-the-grain conceits to the anal-to-the-nth degree discipline of execution.  Brady may have been the perfect QB to run it, but he might not have had the same degree of success under other coaches, if he had ever gotten the chance to start at all.  JMO.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2013 at 15:42 »

And it should be obvious to anyone who's hated the Pats through the Brady era that there's a very high degree of discipline to that offense. 

So yeah, the offense has Belichick's imprint all over it, from the various against-the-grain conceits to the anal-to-the-nth degree discipline of execution.

They're all about playing "mistake free" ball...in all 3 phases.  It's their #1 priority.  Truthfully, it should be high on every team's priority list, but you get the sense that for most teams, it's just lip service.

Discipline.
Discipline.
Discipline.

Don't turn it over.
Don't commit stupid penalties.
Don't make mistakes.
Execute your assignments to perfection.

Having guys that perform everything damn close to perfection > raw athletic talent

Doesn't hurt to stumble onto one of the best QBs of our generation in the process too.  We'll see how well he does as HC when Beardy retires.  If he's as much of a genius as everybody gives him credit for, he'll retire shortly after Asschin hangs 'em up.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #15 on: Dec 22, 2013 at 14:51 »

If he's as much of a genius as everybody gives him credit for, he'll retire shortly after Asschin hangs 'em up.

If nothing else, it would show a rare level of self-awareness.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: