Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 22, 2014 at 09:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KC@SD  (Read 3076 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 10:29 »

Guess my expectations involve less luck and getting fluky-hot at the right time, and are more centered on being dominant, period.  Despite the 8-4 finish, the defense has been anything but dominant.  The offense has been streaky at best.  We can break it down unit by unit and player by player, but IMO the 2013 squad was a bad emulsion of over-the-hill players and guys who are too green or have been under-utilized (e.g. Heyward).   Are we far off from getting to where we need to be?  Probably not.  But this off-season, we cannot afford business as usual WRT capology and the draft.

I want us to go into the 2014 postseason talking bye week and how we're going to stomp whoever is foolish enough to tangle with us.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 11:04 »

Call me a pessimist or what have you, but the 8-4 record in the last 12 games says to me "what the hell were they doing in the first four games," i.e., the Steelers were badly underperforming with passable talent (and arguably better talent given the injuries) in the beginning of the season.  Layer in the early season losses against the Titans, Vikings, and Raiders and my point is even more convincing.

Sounds like lack of preparation and poor focus to me and more of a matter of the Steelers playing "at the line" (as opposed to far below the line) later in the season.
otismalibu
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 11:22 »

I still have no idea how KC stayed in that game. I'm not Rivers fan but when he is on, his passes are damn near perfect. He had some drops, his WR fell on the pick and SD dropped an easy pick six on 1st possession for Chiefs.

Were those backups in the KC secondary?
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 11:33 »

As far as the 0-4 start went, yes based on the caliber of the opposition we should have won a couple of those.  But Bell was out, Heat was just rounding into football shape, and Pouncey went down in the first series.  Oline, which was already questionable, goes through changes every week.  Took a while to get some sense of continuity.

Yes, we should have taken care of business ourselves.  By winning percentage, we had one of the easiest schedules in the league.  That said, week 17 we were still in it and did what we had to do.  SD played lackadasically against backups and got some gifts.  Highly unlikely we get to the Super Bowl, but in the playoffs is always better than out.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 11:42 »

Guess my expectations involve less luck and getting fluky-hot at the right time, and are more centered on being dominant, period.  Despite the 8-4 finish, the defense has been anything but dominant.  The offense has been streaky at best.  We can break it down unit by unit and player by player, but IMO the 2013 squad was a bad emulsion of over-the-hill players and guys who are too green or have been under-utilized (e.g. Heyward).   Are we far off from getting to where we need to be?  Probably not.  But this off-season, we cannot afford business as usual WRT capology and the draft.

I want us to go into the 2014 postseason talking bye week and how we're going to stomp whoever is foolish enough to tangle with us.

All true and sounds great.  Big picture is to build a "dominant" team, but you also need to strike while the iron is hot too.  Not to mention the fact that being dominant isn't exactly a guarantee of playoff and SB success.  Just look at Denver last year, New England the year before and possibly even Pittsburgh the year before that.  When was the last time a truly dominant team won it all?  Saints 4 or 5 years ago, maybe?

Point is, get to the playoffs and it's anybody's ballgame regardless of whether a team started the season 0-4 or went 13-3.  I'd rather have a dog in the fight than just sitting on the couch rooting against certain teams.

Call me a pessimist or what have you, but the 8-4 record in the last 12 games says to me "what the hell were they doing in the first four games," i.e., the Steelers were badly underperforming with passable talent (and arguably better talent given the injuries) in the beginning of the season.  Layer in the early season losses against the Titans, Vikings, and Raiders and my point is even more convincing.

Sounds like lack of preparation and poor focus to me and more of a matter of the Steelers playing "at the line" (as opposed to far below the line) later in the season.

I'm as pissed about the way this season ended as much as the next Steeler fan, but I think when you take a step back and look at things objectively, considering injuries and their talent level, wouldn't you say they overperformed this year?  Generally speaking, offensively, average to slightly above average; defensively, average to below.  That translates to somewhere in the 7-9 to 9-7 range, yes?

Doesn't mean they couldn't make some serious noise in the playoffs, tho.

Tell you what, one of my coworker buddies is a Bengals fan and he's probably happier about the KC/SD outcome than any of those Chargers fans in attendance yesterday.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 13:49 »

Apologia for the 0-4 start noted; however, it's not like it was some surprise that Bell was hobbled or Heat would be out.  The only surprise was Pouncey, and given the injuries to the OL these past many years, we should be ready to plug in a backup at any position at a moment's notice - 1-deep at any position on the line is silly.  The problems with this team were evident in the 0-4 preseason and the 0-4 regular start.  Other teams adjust, pick up the quality of play over the span of a week.  We didn't.  We hibernated for two months, or basically were unprepared for two months.   So, early season shit remains on Tomlin, IMO.

But as I've said before, while we didn't exactly unleash hell dominate superior teams down the stretch, we did start to show some good signs here and there.  Yeah, a shitty team like the Ravens can sneak in and get hot and run away with the Lombardi while superior teams recover from their shock.  But your odds are better if you aren't counting on going all the way despite multiple flaws.  And I'd argue that while the teams that won the SB recently were not flawless in every aspect, they were dominant as a whole:  2012 Ravens defense came up big in the post, O had a couple of fast downfield targets; 2011 & 2007 NYG featured a stout F7, good running game, and some playmaker WRs; 2010 Packers had a very good O and an opportunistic if sometimes soft D; same with the 2009 Saints; 2008 Steelers featured great D and Ben taking on all comers; 2006 Colts had the O, and a pretty forgettable D; etc.  These were not teams as shitty as the Chargers/Fins/Ravens/Steelers of 2013, IMHO.

But there are some signs of promise: OL showed signs of gelling for the first time in ages, even with scads of injuries, and that bodes well for 2-deep quality in 2014; Bell is going to be outstanding, IMO; Ben can still do his Ben things, and will have a solid duo (Brown, Heat) to build around; some good play individually on the D from new guys like Heyward and Worilds (well, sorta new, unused may be a better term).  Some glimpses of interesting play from Woods, McLendon, Shamarko.  But D-side is going to need some immediate help in the secondary, at DL and ILB.

At least the Browns FO can make us all feel better.  Fucking joke.

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #26 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 14:20 »

Yeah the defense needs alot of help, and that's assuming mostly internal improvement (given how rookies never play) or maybe hitting the jackpot on another Farrior type.  How much internal improvement is possible?  Shamarko/Golden taking over for the ghost of Ryan Clark?  A full year of Cortez Allen?  Vince Williams becoming the next Larry Foote?  Heyward-Fang/Woods-Mac in place of Ziggy-Mac-Keisel?  Garvin adding weight and becoming a solution? 

If they can come out next year and run the "hybrid no-huddle", and get a full year out of Bell, the offense should not suck.  Yeah they were streaky even after the switch and still struggle to score TDs in the endzone, but is there any doubt if they started the season in the no-huddle (fuck, if we started the 2nd ravens game in the no-huddle) we'd have at least one or two more wins?

I acknowledge the team has problems and needs change, and maybe a playoff appearance would have glossed that over.  Maybe they'd come back next year with the same stiffs. Maybe they'd stand pat.  Maybe they will still stand pat.

That's not going to stop me from wanting to ruin the Ginger Dalton's home playoff game.  And possibly going up to Denver with nothing but house money.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #27 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 15:19 »

Garvin and Pola are sort of SS/ILB hybrids.  I was disappointed by Cortez, mostly, but got the feeling he was slowed early on by injury.  Keep thinking how well he shut out Gronk v. the Pats the other year, so what's his reality?  And Gay actually played above expectation.  But I think we need a serious investment in CB via the draft.

Oh, it would have been sweet to fuck the Bungles in the playoffs.  Not sure SD has the defense to stick with them in Cinci.  But I think they'll probably fall in NE in the next round, and if not they're dead Bungles walking going to Denver.

Not sure which NFC team I'll be rooting for to win the whole bag of marbles this year.  Seahags look like a solid bet, and can't say there's much in the way of animosity toward them. 

Big Virgil
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 15:21 »

Go to Denver with house money so BV can attend a Steeler game in person.

Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately.
I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #29 on: Dec 30, 2013 at 15:51 »

Garvin and Pola are sort of SS/ILB hybrids.  I was disappointed by Cortez, mostly, but got the feeling he was slowed early on by injury.  Keep thinking how well he shut out Gronk v. the Pats the other year, so what's his reality?

I'm hoping early season struggles by Cortez were due to the ankle not being 100%.  Seemed to really improve down the stretch.  He's another candidate to extend as they can probably get him for a reasonable price due to missing half the season and his slow start.  Seems he could be sort of an opposite of Ike (i.e. not as strong against the run but he can actually catch).

Garvin's listed at 235.  What was Potsie's playing weight? 240? couldn't have been much more.  Anyways would be great to find a diamond in the rough...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: