Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 21, 2014 at 17:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: And it begins...128 days away  (Read 5896 times)
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2014 at 13:12 »

I've taken some heat for loving players from my alma mater on this board (e.g. Manti Te'o), but will say that Nix is no different in my eyes.  He played a true Steelers NT in college in the sense that he was double teamed on every play.  As a result, you won't see many Clowneyesque highlights, but you will see a slew of players around him that benefitted from him being in the middle of the defense, including Te'o, Kapron Lewis Moore, and Stephon Tuitt (who is my favorite of the bunch).

My only hesitation is the value component for a first rounder discussed by Finny below.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #11 on: Jan 02, 2014 at 13:44 »

Does being a 2-down player really make him that much less valuable?  I mean second and long and third and long are much more winnable downs than third and short or we just gashed you up the middle for 56 yards. 

I do see the point though.

Also seen us linked to OLB out of BYU Kyle Van Noy.  I'm not sure my television would survive us taking another pass rushing OLB in round one.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Jan 02, 2014 at 14:02 »

Good points, sc and Merman.  One other issue I'd have is his conditioning, which reminds me somewhat of Terrence Cody, who appears to be nothing special for the Ratties.  On the plus side, he does appear to have it from the neck on up, and yes, he's done the little things right that don't always pop on film like a 4-3 DE or a pass-rushing OLB.

Will have to look at him a bit closer, but right now my gut says an offensive playmaker (WR or TE) in R1 would ease losing Sanders and help the O stake leads.  R2 and R3 should have some secondary talent.  But man, it's all wide open right now.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Jan 02, 2014 at 14:28 »

Will have to look at him a bit closer, but right now my gut says an offensive playmaker (WR or TE) in R1 would ease losing Sanders and help the O stake leads.  R2 and R3 should have some secondary talent.  But man, it's all wide open right now.

Meh, there are plenty of decent outside guys that could probably be had for a reasonable deal via FA when (if) Sanders leaves.  James Jones.  Golden Tate.  Hakeem Nicks.  Andre Roberts.  Unless a team jumps in and overpays, they should be able to get somebody like that for about what Sanders cost them, maybe a milly more per, on average.

Good WRs can be had on the cheap.  Good CBs can't.  You gotta draft 'em.  

I'm cereal, if they don't go defense (CB, NT, ILB or possibly S) in R1-R3, I'll shit a cat; only exception is if a solid, R1 type prospect falls into R2 or R3 at OT, WR/TE or QB.

Edit:  And, fuck you, Bill Leavy for making me talk about this stuff this early in the "season."
« Last Edit: Jan 02, 2014 at 14:34 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2014 at 19:09 »

Does being a 2-down player really make him that much less valuable?  I mean second and long and third and long are much more winnable downs than third and short or we just gashed you up the middle for 56 yards. 

Also seen us linked to OLB out of BYU Kyle Van Noy.  I'm not sure my television would survive us taking another pass rushing OLB in round one.

I guess my point is that as a R1 NT that ends up having only marginal talent you may find yourself on the roster bubble and often times cut.  Compare that to a R1 end, backer, DB, olineman or WR that ends up to be average/slightly above average; more times that not you'll find yourself playing a more influential role, whether it be as a third WR, 6th olineman, or nickel.  Taking a player at those position is in a sense, more of a secure pick from a value perspective (which is my thinking about Nix).  However if you're 100 percent sold on a NT, then do it because they are obviously substantially more difficult to replace as a matter of supply and demand.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2014 at 10:07 »

I guess my point is that as a R1 NT that ends up having only marginal talent you may find yourself on the roster bubble and often times cut.  Compare that to a R1 end, backer, DB, olineman or WR that ends up to be average/slightly above average; more times that not you'll find yourself playing a more influential role, whether it be as a third WR, 6th olineman, or nickel.  Taking a player at those position is in a sense, more of a secure pick from a value perspective (which is my thinking about Nix).  However if you're 100 percent sold on a NT, then do it because they are obviously substantially more difficult to replace as a matter of supply and demand.

Not to mention special teams.  Good point.  This defense has so many potential holes that it's pretty open.  Say Ike get cut for cap purposes, that will probably change draft strategy.  The reason for my original question is that if any position can jump in, I'm thinking NT is it. 
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2014 at 10:14 »

*Homer alert*

I'll take Sammy Watkins, please

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2014 at 10:35 »

*Homer alert*

I'll take Sammy Watkins, please

He is a beast,  I don't think he makes it out of the top 10 though.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2014 at 15:57 »

Yeah, he doesn't make it to 1.15.

Watkins looked thicker and stronger than I had remembered.  And of course fast.

Some pretty good WRs this draft, might be able to get a nice value later.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2014 at 09:32 »

Unlikely but the first half of the first round tends to unfold in odd ways.  Run on QBs, trade ups, etc. 

Would take Watkins or Evans if available.  I don't think the Steelers take an O tackle based on what Beachum did.  I don't think Beachum plays well for long but I bet the Steelers believe he will.

Would take a CB, though I don't think rookie CBs do well their first year and would not see it as an answer if Ike is cut

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: