Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Aug 27, 2014 at 04:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 [15] 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 FAs  (Read 7084 times)
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #140 on: Apr 01, 2014 at 18:09 »

Haha, Heyward-Bey? What the hell?
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #141 on: Apr 02, 2014 at 08:51 »

PFF is one metric, but it ain't gospel.

He's very fast (lose the left nut fast!), and has value at nickel.  But he was pressed into starting on the outside, and he can't do that.  On STs and some spot duty, coach the kid up, could be a role player.

That's more promising.  I guess if he's only covering the other team's 4th or 5th option there's less to fear.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #142 on: Apr 02, 2014 at 09:55 »

Not a fan of DHB, but there seems to be a recurrent theme with a lot of our FA signings (McCain, Mitchell, even Moats; Moore isn't straight-line fast but has some crafty speed).

On one hand, we have AB and Moore; Wheaton still has to prove it; the other guys are just guys so far, or not even that.  That's awfully thin.  Now, if we sign DHB, he can be a decent speed option, especially if he's just a situational guy.    I still think we need to draft 1 and maybe 2 WRs this year even if we do sign DHB.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #143 on: Apr 02, 2014 at 11:41 »

Heyward-Bey was awful last year, has been a disappointment obviously since drafted.  Did post 64-975-15.2 in 2011 and 41-608-14.8 in 2012, so there's that.  Probably could have had 1800 yards in 2011 if he didn't drop half the passes thrown to him.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #144 on: Apr 02, 2014 at 14:22 »

Signed. 

One year, probably for whatever Colbert could root out from the sofa cushions:  stale peanuts, a stray button, a few plastic army men, 37 cents in loose change...

Low-risk signing.  Yeah, he drops shit all over the field, but he gives us some speed and if he bounces back, yippie.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #145 on: Apr 02, 2014 at 17:27 »

If he sucks, he won't be on the 53.  Depth chart was ABrown, Moore, Wheaton and Moye.  Yikes

Sanders had a problem with drops last year (probably not as badly)

Really wish we could have brought Cotchery back and signed Moore with Wheaton and a rookie from Rd 1-2. 

Hope Heath stays healthy and is somewhat more productive than last year.  He's likely seen his best days but if he's healthy, I hope he can play a larger role.

How much cap space should signing draftees and UDFAs take of Woodley's ~$8m post-June 1?  The Steelers could sign a FA or an early-mid preseason castoff, though I would think getting a WR on the team at that point is near, well, pointless.  Too difficult to learn routes in-time

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #146 on: Apr 02, 2014 at 20:20 »

How much cap space should signing draftees and UDFAs take of Woodley's ~$8m post-June 1? 

5, 6 million?

dontknow

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #147 on: Apr 02, 2014 at 23:02 »

Meh on DHB.  If they wanted a speedy ex-Raider, would have preferred Jacoby Ford.  Decent rookie year, couple years of injuries held him back, but I think he still has an opportunity to become a threat.  Plus could take some KR duties.

Neither one are Pro Bowlers, but feels like DHB had more opportunity and didn't capitalize, although he had the pressure of being drafted waaaaaay to high.

#Clemsonhomer
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #148 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 09:30 »

Maybe this will be one of those occasions where the proverbial change-of-scenery makes all the difference.  It would be sweet to see DHB blow past coverage on a 3rd and 10 and catch a deep ball in stride.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #149 on: Apr 03, 2014 at 09:59 »

From a lot of what I've read DHB may not have panned out as a top ten pick, but former teammates describe him as a great team player.  He's rated adequate as a blocker,  not afraid to play special teams, etc.

I don't expect much, but maybe he can be a contributor is other areas while blowing the top of the defense occasionally opening up the underneath stuff for AB and Wheaton.  You know Haley won't be able to resist using him as a decoy while we run an end around to the slowest receiver on the field.
Pages: 1 ... 14 [15] 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: