Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 19, 2014 at 23:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 FAs  (Read 7594 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #70 on: Mar 17, 2014 at 14:44 »

2009 is almost 2008's equal, except there was talent there.  It just didn't fit here (Hood), or went off to play elsewhere (Wallace, Urbik, Lewis... and Shipley, FWIW).   Hood being the last, we've nearly cleaned house on this class, but IMO did a poor eval job on Urbik and probably Shipley.  Did a poor job of talent retention WRT Lewis, a product of bad cap management.  Wallace was destined to go, and has not flourished.

This one is almost tragic!  9 draft picks, & not a one remains.  Setting Hood and DJ aside, since they're just leaving now, most of that crop are still making contributions.  Urbik (Jax), Wallace (Mia), & Lewis (N.O) combined for 48 NFL starts last year.  Shipley (Balt) and Summers (Buf) added 18 more.  The only real misses were Joe Burnett (CFL) & Ra'Shon Harris (life's work). 

Rebuilding through the draft, brought to you by the TomBert Braintrust.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #71 on: Mar 17, 2014 at 15:41 »

Weeden to they Cowboys, that should be a new level of fail.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #72 on: Mar 17, 2014 at 18:27 »

Cody Wallace is in, reports that they will sign Velasco later, maybe after the post-6/1 cap relief from Woodley.

Iggy Pop is the last Stooge standing.  Brandon Weeden is 3 years older than Iggy.

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #73 on: Mar 17, 2014 at 20:09 »

I really hope Manning is mic'd up when Manny hands of stone Sanders inevitably drops a big td pass.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #74 on: Mar 17, 2014 at 20:15 »

Cody Wallace is in, reports that they will sign Velasco later, maybe after the post-6/1 cap relief from Woodley.

That would be awesome!  Say they do sign Velasco, does he backup or push Pouncey to guard?

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #75 on: Mar 18, 2014 at 08:20 »

I like the idea of bringing Velasco back, until I note that with Wallace and Whimper signed, bringing back Velasco would likely prohibit keeping a young guy (draft pick or Embernate).  Wallace and Velasco are interior only.  The 3 year deal for Wallace suggests he will stick.  Whimper is the only backup tackle.  If they plan to let Pouncey walk next year, keeping Velasco and Wallace might make sense.

It looks like James Starks has re-signed with the Pack.  Odd as they have a crowded backfield.  Lacy and Franklin are likely ahead of Starks.  I think they have DuJuan Harris (wasn't he with the Steelers last preseason?) as well.  Michael Bush is still out there.  Andre Brown too.  Would like to have a speed/small back but that could come through the draft.

Cotchery looks like he's gone to Carolina.  Carolina has the severe need and cash.  Steelers just have the need.  Lance Moore is so damn small but has been productive, albeit injured. 

Not surprised James Harrison was released.  I knew his time in Cincy would be very short.  I'd bring him back, but at whatever vet minimum would apply.  Sure he won't play STs but there is nothing behind Worilds and JJones.  Chris Carter ain't. 

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #76 on: Mar 18, 2014 at 13:00 »

I like the idea of bringing Velasco back, until I note that with Wallace and Whimper signed, bringing back Velasco would likely prohibit keeping a young guy (draft pick or Embernate).  Wallace and Velasco are interior only.  The 3 year deal for Wallace suggests he will stick.  Whimper is the only backup tackle.  If they plan to let Pouncey walk next year, keeping Velasco and Wallace might make sense.

I don't think the deals for Wallace, Velasco, or Whimper would be such that if an Embernate or rookie would wow Munchak & Tomlin that the cost of cutting would be prohibitive.  Stacking cheap OL depth seems prudent for now.

It looks like James Starks has re-signed with the Pack.  Odd as they have a crowded backfield.  Lacy and Franklin are likely ahead of Starks.  I think they have DuJuan Harris (wasn't he with the Steelers last preseason?) as well.  Michael Bush is still out there.  Andre Brown too.  Would like to have a speed/small back but that could come through the draft.

MJD is a year removed from injury, and the Jax OL was shite last year.  I'd consider it.  Also, really liked what LSH showed, if he can get back to that.  But yeah, a late round draft pick on a speed guy seems smart, even if we add a vet.

Cotchery looks like he's gone to Carolina.  Carolina has the severe need and cash.  Steelers just have the need.  Lance Moore is so damn small but has been productive, albeit injured. 

Really wish we could keep Cotch for another couple of years as a clutch possession/RZ guy.  Moore's 5'9", but for some reason I always thought he was taller.  Plays bigger.  Stacked draft, but I'd look at a guy like Avant to fill the Cotch role if we lose him.

Not surprised James Harrison was released.  I knew his time in Cincy would be very short.  I'd bring him back, but at whatever vet minimum would apply.  Sure he won't play STs but there is nothing behind Worilds and JJones.  Chris Carter ain't. 

At the minimum, yeah.  Backup, maybe some situational pass rush, someone to show Jarvis how to get stronger.  Not much left IMO.

SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #77 on: Mar 18, 2014 at 13:27 »

But the Steelers have only carried 8 OL, right?  Sure, they could carry 9 but I thought the past two seasons had them carrying 5 starters and 3 backups on the 53.  If Velasco is signed, they have their 3 backups.  Neither Whimper's nor Velasco's contracts will be prohibitive for a quick release but I think they probably don't carry more than 3 backups.

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #78 on: Mar 18, 2014 at 13:38 »

I'm not panicking over the rb sitch just yet.  Guys tend to become available as the summer goes on, it's the most fungible position in the game.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #79 on: Mar 18, 2014 at 13:53 »

Agree re: running backs but would like to get a vet WR signed and in for OTAs as the routes and timing need as much work (assuming Cotchery isn't back) as possible

Pages: 1 ... 7 [8] 9 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: