Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 20, 2014 at 03:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 FAs  (Read 7596 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2014 at 17:16 »

I remember being down on Verner coming out of UCLA (too small?), and I think you were high on him, aj, IIRC.  I'll eat my words:  he can play outside, he can play the slot, he could probably pinch hit at FS.  Problem is, he'll be popular, and we won't spend enough to get him.  I'd love to see us add him in, and want to look at my draft notes -- def eating crow there.

Like that they're looking at FA S's.  Carlson was a nice possibility, I think the Cards were smart to sign him.  Finley's med history scares the bejesus out of me though.

Manny is gone, IMO, he'll sign with Denver or NE and become a fackin' star for one of the hateds. 

Mendenhall...  probably one of my biggest disappointments of the TomBert era, if not THE.  Guy had a hugely promising profile coming out of Illinois, find me a RB in this year's draft who's 225# and runs a 4.41.  Never really showed much as a speed back or a power back or, well, anything at all, unless you count spins.  Seems like a smart kid, with some weird opinions, who failed why?  I think he was mentally soft.  And I think some of that was the injury his rookie season, the Ray Lewis hit, seemed like after that he was perennially gun-shy.  Ran scared.  To be an NFL RB you have to be the 180:  absolutely fucking fearless.  AP is the zenith of this, for all his physical skills.  He just challenges all comers.  He hits.  He punishes.  He shies away from no one.  And IMO, I saw good traits from Bell.  Ain't no AP, but runs like he wants some.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2014 at 15:00 »

Mendenhall...  probably one of my biggest disappointments of the TomBert era, if not THE.  Guy had a hugely promising profile coming out of Illinois, find me a RB in this year's draft who's 225# and runs a 4.41.  Never really showed much as a speed back or a power back or, well, anything at all, unless you count spins.  Seems like a smart kid, with some weird opinions, who failed why?  I think he was mentally soft.  And I think some of that was the injury his rookie season, the Ray Lewis hit, seemed like after that he was perennially gun-shy.  Ran scared.  To be an NFL RB you have to be the 180:  absolutely fucking fearless.  AP is the zenith of this, for all his physical skills.  He just challenges all comers.  He hits.  He punishes.  He shies away from no one.  And IMO, I saw good traits from Bell.  Ain't no AP, but runs like he wants some.

Jarvis "Ankle Weights" Jones?

Seriously, though, I dunno.  Hard to say he was my biggest disappointment when I didn't expect much from him in the first place.  I still think back to that Michigan/Illinois game where I saw him repeatedly go down so easily.  I distinctly remember him getting arm tackled on multiple occasions; some defender grabbed his jersey as he was running by and brought him down with one arm; and I never remember him getting any YAC.  First hit, he was on the ground.  Underwhelming.  Uninspiring.  I thought he was soft and didn't play to his size.

Save for a few very brief flashes in his NFL career, I think he pretty much lived up to my expectations.  Then again, I also remember thinking that Limas Sweed was going to contribute more and do more for the offense than RM, so...

Honestly, you could probably make the argument that '08 draft class is a big reason why Pittsburgh's currently in the cap position they're in.  Nothing, and I mean nothing of value (unless you count some scant contributions from Mundy as a backup) came out of that draft class.

*vomit*

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2014 at 15:40 »

2007 was Tomlin's first year as HC, and while you don't expect a ton of guys to remain 7 years on, it's emblematic of the TomBert hauls overall.

1.15.  Timmons.  Highly productive, though (ludicrously) drafted as OLB.  He's all the quality that now remains.
2.46.  Woodley.  Great early.  Fat, lazy, damaged late.  Best wishes though.
3.77.  Spaeth.  Not particularly memorable in either Steeler incarnation.
4.132.  McBean.  Immediately bounced to Denver, played some, a draft fart.
5.156.  Cam Stephenson.  Didn't make the cut; UDFA Colon did. 
5.170.  Gay.  Interesting case.  Played well early in limited action, was exposed, left, came back and has been rather solid.  Not a bad pick for the spot.
7.227.  Dallas Baker.  Yet another late round WR we seemed to pick up every year for a decade and dream we could turn into something.   Seriously, a long line of shite.  Finally hit with AB, Wallace, and to some extent Sanders, during the Arians as OC phase. 

2008 was comically poor.  I think Mundy is at least still marginally employed by NYG. 
2009 is almost 2008's equal, except there was talent there.  It just didn't fit here (Hood), or went off to play elsewhere (Wallace, Urbik, Lewis... and Shipley, FWIW).   Hood being the last, we've nearly cleaned house on this class, but IMO did a poor eval job on Urbik and probably Shipley.  Did a poor job of talent retention WRT Lewis, a product of bad cap management.  Wallace was destined to go, and has not flourished.
2010 saw 12 picks, of whom 3 remain viable for the Steelers (AB, Pouncey, Worilds).  This should be met with trumpets and laurels.  Sanders can play, some, but is likely not long for the roster here.  Dwyer can play, some, but has never exactly received a ringing endorsement: I'd actually like to keep him around, but who knows.  Sly Sylvester has been a STs guy only.  Won't bore you with the rest, an undistinguished list.
2011 was another banner year, relatively:  Heyward, a man; Gilbert, decent, may be improving; Cortez, at his best a solid starter, at worst below the proverbial line.  Curtis Brown the latest casualty, the rest never amounted.  Small haul 3 years out. 
2012 - speaking of small hauls not so far removed - DeCastro, coming into his own as a stud OL.  Mike Adams, still waiting to see it, but worth keeping in hope that he does.  Spence, sad/heartwarming, liked the kid, but still up against long odds.  Ta'amu, never thought he was a fit, was right, bye.  Rainey, weird saga.  Paulson, why is he even still here.  But Beachum, a late surprise, has done a surprising job for us.  So, two solid contributors, two we can hope for.
2013 is, I'm hoping, going to turn out better, but every time I run through the updated TomBert draft classes, I am not filled with hope.  Jarvis struck me wrong then, and now, and the Woodley thing could be thrusting us into knowing sooner than later whether I'm right to be leery.   Bell has grown on me quite a bit, as stated.  Wheaton will, I think, contribute, if he can stop breaking fingers.  Loved Shamarko when we tabbed him, wanted him badly, but had the rookie deer in the headlights at times.  Vince Williams got the call when Foote was hurt, not convinced he's the answer, but ironically I don't think anyone ever thought Foote was either, when he was drafted.  So, patience.  Doubt we got much more out of these guys, unless Nick Williams turns it on.  So, maybe three out of this bunch, four if Jarbust clicks?  Of course, I've overlooked Landry Jones in all of this.  Intentionally.

Ugh, why do I do this.

Our drafts have gone downhill.  The rep of drafting genius has not been deserved, not since Tomlin's been in the captain's seat.  Maybe not worse than 15-20 other teams, but certainly not good enough to build a team to challenge for the Lombardi, consistently or ever.

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2014 at 21:03 »

...Our drafts have gone downhill.  The rep of drafting genius has not been deserved, not since Tomlin's been in the captain's seat.  Maybe not worse than 15-20 other teams, but certainly not good enough to build a team to challenge for the Lombardi, consistently or ever.

This!

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2014 at 17:49 »

Steelers supposedly exploring Chris Clemons as safety option.

Also, some scuttlebutt that they may look at corners Nolan Carroll and Captain Munnerlyn.

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2014 at 17:58 »

Apparently they've signed Mike Mitchell, was a FS with the Panthers last year.  74 tackles, 4 picks. 
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2014 at 19:41 »

Limited playing time prior to going to Carolina.  steelersdepot has a link showing PFF (I think) rating him very low in tackling ability but he had a good year and I like it.

5/$25m

Cleveland is going nuts today

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2014 at 07:06 »

Pros:  Upgrade to speed & size (6'0", 220#, 4.45), arrow pointing up, could be catching a player at just the right time.  Plays with attitude.  Can cover.  Ball skills.

Cons:  As expected, did not show much his first few years out of lower LOC (Ohio, not State) playing in Oakland*, only flourished with the Panthers's f7.  Consistency?  *Rated R6 by NFLDS, picked R2 by Oakland, as Oakland does, on measurables.  Thanks for developing our new FS, guys.

Notes:  Steelers ran this to the podium, meaning: he's their guy.  Clark definitely gone, Shark will groom for the SS spot in 2015, and play sub=packages.  Read somewhere that the Steelers ran subs ~60% of the time, meaning:  NT like Nix is bad value, but also:  entirely possible the FO dips into S in the draft, with either SS Shark, FS Mitch, and rookie S playing packages, or swap out the Shark and S roles if someone elite presents as superior for SS role.  Much as I love Shark, a speed/size hitter like Bucannon at SS, with Shark roaming the middle waters, and a young turk like Mitch, would be a Devil's Triangle in the backfield.

More:  Almost the size of Verner's deal.  FO must really be in for this guy.  Also, don't be surprised if the Steelers go back to the FA well with Nolan Carroll, a R5 CB pick for the Fins out of Maryland, and another mid-4.4s guy with good size for the spot (6'0", 205#).  We had a visit with him then, and are interested now, another guy who's arrow is pointing up and might come cheaper than the big names.  I'd be very happy if we came out of FA with these 2 guys signed to mid-size deals. 

Full FA notes later, but for now, no Soliai, no Verner, etc.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2014 at 09:52 »

Know jack shit about Mitchell.  From what I've read, the move strikes me as the 2014 rendition of the Ryan Clark signing.  Middle tier guy.  Good in most phases, not particularly great at anything.  Still relatively young though so maybe in a better system, he takes his game to another level.  Feels like the cost is a little on the pricey side though for a guy that's not an upper tier guy.

If they can add another decent, mid priced FA on the defensive side (*cough*...corner...) or maybe even dip into the WR FA pool since it's so deep (Nicks?  Lafell?).  Should be able to get some nice quality on the cheap at that position.  One less thing to worry about in the draft.

Edit:  Steelers also supposedly inked Will Allen and Greg Warren (thank God...) to deals.  You just can't survive without a quality snapper.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2014 at 09:55 by aj_law » Logged

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2014 at 10:50 »

If they can add another decent, mid priced FA on the defensive side (*cough*...corner...) or maybe even dip into the WR FA pool since it's so deep (Nicks?  Lafell?).  Should be able to get some nice quality on the cheap at that position.  One less thing to worry about in the draft.

What about Owen Daniels who just got cut by the Texans? He seems like he should be cheap and is not a bad transition plug with Heath. Couldn't possibly be worse than Matt "Waste of" Spaeth. Add Paulson and that's not a bad trio of TEs for the short term IMO.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: