Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 19, 2014 at 08:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 FAs  (Read 8122 times)
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #30 on: Mar 12, 2014 at 19:32 »

Al woods to the titans, 2 years 5 million. Damn I like woods but don't think we could pay that.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #31 on: Mar 12, 2014 at 19:36 »

An Revis to the Pats. Who didn't see that one coming. Fuck that team.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: Mar 12, 2014 at 21:40 »

Dwyer sings with Steelers West.

Somebody had to take over Mendy's job, I guess.  This one hurts a little.  No real depth (edit:  zero) behind Bell.  FA or darft?  Lotta options out there.

Oh, don't like losing Woods either.  Showed some nice promise late in season.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2014 at 22:41 by aj_law » Logged

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: Mar 13, 2014 at 03:03 »

Be sweet if Revis took a hometown discount.

SING THAI LAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Read that he's all 91% for Bellychimp and the Pastries.

Ty Law Part II.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: Mar 13, 2014 at 08:23 »

Here's the frustration: 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10600036/darren-sproles-eagles-via-trade-saints

I'm not sure if Sproles is what we really need. However, he would certainly add some depth and big-play capability. And what is this costing the Eagles? A friggin' 5th-round pick? Rather than trade a pick for a known commodity, we will draft a RB in the 5th or 7th or sign a UFA and HOPE that we catch lightning in a bottle.

Our FO is consistently a day late and a couple million dollars short. And that needs to change. About 6 years ago.

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #35 on: Mar 13, 2014 at 08:26 »

Somebody had to take over Mendy's job, I guess.  This one hurts a little.  No real depth (edit:  zero) behind Bell.  FA or darft?  Lotta options out there.

Losing Dwyer pisses me off.  I don't know what goes on behind closed doors but I can say that it did not look like he was ever given a legitimate shot.

Cue "the Steelers build through the draft, not through free agency" bullshit; let's conveniently set aside nearly a decade of horrible drafts.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: Mar 13, 2014 at 09:38 »

Here's the frustration:  

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10600036/darren-sproles-eagles-via-trade-saints

I'm not sure if Sproles is what we really need. However, he would certainly add some depth and big-play capability. And what is this costing the Eagles? A friggin' 5th-round pick? Rather than trade a pick for a known commodity, we will draft a RB in the 5th or 7th or sign a UFA and HOPE that we catch lightning in a bottle.

Our FO is consistently a day late and a couple million dollars short. And that needs to change. About 6 years ago.

I don't see how the Steelers could've made that work.  At this point, Pittsburgh doesn't even have a legit, proven backup to Bell.  Adding a guy like Sproles wouldn't solve that problem.  He's a supplemental piece (and a great one at that), not a backup or replacement.  I'm a big fan of his, but unfortunately, he's not what they need right now.

Plus, while his 2014 salary (3 and a half million) is palatable, he's in the final year of his deal.  He's a UFA next year.  For his kind of high level production, you gotta figure he's going to command somewhere in the 4-5 million per range on his next deal.  Saints couldn't swing that kind of cheddar, neither could a team like the Steelers.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: Mar 13, 2014 at 09:54 »

Losing Dwyer pisses me off.  I don't know what goes on behind closed doors but I can say that it did not look like he was ever given a legitimate shot.

Cue "the Steelers build through the draft, not through free agency" bullshit; let's conveniently set aside nearly a decade of horrible drafts.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more it bugs me too; especially considering he (supposedly) only got a 1 year deal from the Cards.  Considering what other RBs are getting on the open market, they could've thrown a 2YR/5MIL deal at him and see if he goes for it.

Maybe it's a matter of player expectations with him.  He wanted to start or at least have a shot at starting and Pittsburgh wanted him as a backup?  Bell is clearly the #1.  About the only thing he's guaranteed out there is a chance to compete for the top spot.  Andre Ellington and Stephan Taylor will make him work for it.  Maybe they go RB by committee.  Dunno.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: Mar 13, 2014 at 09:58 »

Manny Sanders hangin' with Jags.

#careerkiller

Sanders and Hood must've carpooled to FL for their visits.  Ziggy sings with Jaguars.

As FA rolls on, seems like we're getting more questions than answers.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: Mar 13, 2014 at 10:40 »

Eagles signed CB Nolan Carroll... wait for it.. 2 years, $5.2M.  FFS.  That's dirt cheap, we should have pulled that deal.

Lose Dwyer, mixed feelings there, for damned sure I would have kept him, but he never really got a fair shot here, just a weird tale.

Hood, bye, better fit in the 4-3, no hard feelings.  BUT, Al Woods (backup NT and DE, played well in limited action) signs with the Titans for 2/$5M?  There goes any semblance of DL depth.  Or starters.  It's Heyward, Mac... Loni Fangupo, Brian Arnfelt, and Nick Williams.  Yikes.  DL just moved up in our draft needs. 

RB depth is now Alvester Alexander and Tauren Poole. 

Let's not even talk CB starters/depth.

The sad truth is that Colbert's magical formula for kicking the can down the road worked, for a while, when we were a SB-talent team.  Holding onto that too long has left us thin and overpaid, with about the same number of retentions as the Raiders, minus of course the tens of millions of cap space they have.  And THEY'RE the idiots.  Oh, and the drafts, highly mythologized, have come home to roost at the same time.  Class of 2009 now also washed out.  Building through the draft, indeed.  What we're building, through the draft and cap, is excruciating.  We have what, $5M in cap space available?  That's asinine, given our needs.  We can't even hold onto mid-level competent FAs like Woods for cheap, or grab up and comer talent like Carroll for cheap. 

The coming draft offers little solace, given the recent record.  Oh, and we need DL and this is a shitty year.  A small, small group there.  Much more at CB and WR, which we need 2 and 1 of, and despite the Mitch signing probably another S somewhere.  My gut is sick. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: