Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 01, 2014 at 01:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 FAs  (Read 7508 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #40 on: Mar 13, 2014 at 11:02 »

Alex Carrington visiting.

Not a lot of experience, but liked him coming out of Arkansas St. in 2010.  At the time, thought Tomln's Ark. St. ties might bring Carrington here.  Good KEI (shade under 70), but definitely a developmental guy.  Might see him as a similar prospect to Mike Mitchell:  let another team draft and coach him up a few, get him on the upswing cheap.  Could be an interesting signing, especially since Woods walked for cheap (2/$5M?).

Also: BRowns and Rams kicking his tires.  Bills like him, felt he showed something, but can't keep all their DL talent.  44 GP, but only 9 starts; 4 sacks, 6 PD, 53 combined tackles.
« Last Edit: Mar 13, 2014 at 11:05 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #41 on: Mar 13, 2014 at 11:22 »

Eagles signed CB Nolan Carroll... wait for it.. 2 years, $5.2M.  FFS.  That's dirt cheap, we should have pulled that deal.

Lose Dwyer, mixed feelings there, for damned sure I would have kept him, but he never really got a fair shot here, just a weird tale.

Hood, bye, better fit in the 4-3, no hard feelings.  BUT, Al Woods (backup NT and DE, played well in limited action) signs with the Titans for 2/$5M?  There goes any semblance of DL depth.  Or starters.  It's Heyward, Mac... Loni Fangupo, Brian Arnfelt, and Nick Williams.  Yikes.  DL just moved up in our draft needs. 

RB depth is now Alvester Alexander and Tauren Poole. 

Let's not even talk CB starters/depth.

The sad truth is that Colbert's magical formula for kicking the can down the road worked, for a while, when we were a SB-talent team.  Holding onto that too long has left us thin and overpaid, with about the same number of retentions as the Raiders, minus of course the tens of millions of cap space they have.  And THEY'RE the idiots.  Oh, and the drafts, highly mythologized, have come home to roost at the same time.  Class of 2009 now also washed out.  Building through the draft, indeed.  What we're building, through the draft and cap, is excruciating.  We have what, $5M in cap space available?  That's asinine, given our needs.  We can't even hold onto mid-level competent FAs like Woods for cheap, or grab up and comer talent like Carroll for cheap. 

The coming draft offers little solace, given the recent record.  Oh, and we need DL and this is a shitty year.  A small, small group there.  Much more at CB and WR, which we need 2 and 1 of, and despite the Mitch signing probably another S somewhere.  My gut is sick. 

That 5MIL in cap space doesn't account for the savings in cutting Woodley and designating him a post 6/1 cut, does it?  I haven't looked at the numbers, but if not, the amount of space should at least double.  Granted, they have to wait until 6/2 to reap the cap benefits of that move.  They might actually be players in the post 6/1 FA market.

Again, more questions than answers, tho.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Preacherman0
Old School Member

« Reply #42 on: Mar 13, 2014 at 12:31 »

I don't see how the Steelers could've made that work.  At this point, Pittsburgh doesn't even have a legit, proven backup to Bell.  Adding a guy like Sproles wouldn't solve that problem.  He's a supplemental piece (and a great one at that), not a backup or replacement.  I'm a big fan of his, but unfortunately, he's not what they need right now.

I agree with you. Was talking more about the principle--we never seem to try anything at all in FA. Even a simple trade. Frustrating to sit and watch this team sink down the drain. How in the world did we end up one bad call away from the playoffs?

We have traded Christ for the religion of Christianity.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #43 on: Mar 13, 2014 at 13:58 »

Rumbles of Vince Wilfork to the Steelers as a possibility.  He's 32, anyone know if he's still any good?
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #44 on: Mar 13, 2014 at 14:31 »

Rumbles of Vince Wilfork to the Steelers as a possibility.  He's 32, anyone know if he's still any good?

Depends on how fully he recovers from tearing his Achilles.  If he has even 90% of his former movement and explosion I'd sign him in a heartbeat.  I know he's 32, but NT can play into their mid-30s, and I always thought Wilfork was better conditioned than Casey.  One of a very elite few 3-4 NTs in our era.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #45 on: Mar 13, 2014 at 14:41 »

Damn, if he's healthy I'd love it as a 2-3 year stop-gap so they don't do something stupid like draft Nix at 1.15.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #46 on: Mar 13, 2014 at 15:17 »

Can't imagine Wilfork would come cheap as (supposedly) he was released because he didn't want to restructure his deal.  Owed something like 7.5MIL in base salary this upcoming season.

Couple other notes:

Silverback was released by the Kitties.  1 more year for the vet min?  Ahhhh, wishful thinking...this ain't 2008.

Ziggy's deal with Jacksonville is 4YR/16MIL.  Supposedly, had interest from Washington, KC, St. Louis, Oakland and Jacksonville.  He only visited the Jags.  Jacksonville revamping D-line signing Hood, Chris Clemons, Red Bryant and Jason Babin.  #capspacereignssupreme #MBN

Tracy Porter sings with the Foreskins.  Haven't seen anything regarding terms.  Another decent CB that probably could've been had for a modest deal.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #47 on: Mar 13, 2014 at 16:17 »

Wilfork wouldn't restructure, and no one's paying him $7.5M per.  If his medical shows sufficient progress to warrant projecting him back to play by the regular season, I'd offer him a 2/$5.  Because he's not going to be ready for camp, most likely, or even the preseason, and might miss the early games.  But if he was even 90% he'd be a huge push in the middle.

Forgot about Porter.  Damn.  Course, Cap'n is still out there, as are both Cromarties.  A lot of decent CBs closing in on 30, so who are the young up ad comers?  I'd look at the Bengals' Brandon Ghee, maybe the Colts' Cassius Vaughn, a few years younger, faster, guys who can be coached up and have their feet wet.  Why I liked N. Carroll.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #48 on: Mar 13, 2014 at 18:01 »

And Woodley to Oakland. 2 years 12 million. They probably should have checked out the film from their first offensive play against us this year.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #49 on: Mar 14, 2014 at 06:34 »

Ton of cap space, and they want to sign up older, injured guys.  Balked at Saffold.  Signed Tuck and Woodley. 

Course, FA could be called the Old, the Lame, the Overpaid, and the Never-Weres.  Or some combination of all of the above.  Best to find the Never-Weres and make them into somebody (Farrior, Clark; Mitchell?).

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: