Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 31, 2014 at 00:34 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 FAs  (Read 6678 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #60 on: Mar 14, 2014 at 15:12 »

Raji stays in GB... for 1/$4M?  Whaaa?

Good for the Packers.  He turned down an offer of 1YR/8MIL in November.  Idiot.

Rumblings that he's not crazy about playing the nose in a 3 front.  Think he prefers DT in a 4 front.  Not sure how much truth there is to that.  Still, money talks.  Would've been a solid acquisition for a reasonable price and would've greatly improved Pittsburgh's defensive front.  Idiots.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #61 on: Mar 14, 2014 at 15:43 »

Looks like Carrington left w/o a contract

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/03/report-bills-free-agent-de-alex-carrington-leaving-pittsburgh-unsigned/

I guess the Beard is always a fallback, as would playing either Thomas or Mac at end

A guy with a bigger injury hx but who is available is Adam Carriker.  Injured for much of the last two seasons with the Skins

Not sure who else is available

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #62 on: Mar 14, 2014 at 17:23 »

Ya know, I wonder if Cam could play end, a la Kimo?  Kimo was a NT to DE for us, and even though there's 30# more on Cam than Kimo (330# v. 300#), both are 6'4" and powerful at the POA versus the run.  Set the edge at RDE

LOLB: Worilds
LDE: Heyward
NT: McLendon
RDE: Cam Thomas
ROLB: Jarvis Jones

Think of it this way.  Left side is the young turks.  Heyward is on the upswing, and Worilds flourished as a blindside attacker.  Teams can't ignore that.  Put a big celestial body like Cam on the right side and that negates some of the brute strength teams would use to wash out Jarvis, allowing him more leeway to try some moves.  Mac is under-rated (per numerous Steelers Depot articles) as a run-stopper, so lock down the edges, let Mac develop in the middle, figure out a solution at ILB across from Timmons.  IMO, Williams is a decent backup, but we need serious speed, e.g. Shazier.

Could be a beaster.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #63 on: Mar 14, 2014 at 17:48 »

Interesting choice of pic.

Mac is under-rated (per numerous Steelers Depot articles) as a run-stopper, so lock down the edges, let Mac develop in the middle, figure out a solution at ILB across from Timmons.  IMO, Williams is a decent backup, but we need serious speed, e.g. Shazier.

Could be a beaster.

Last night I was thinking that Wesley Woodyard would be a solid, mid-tier ILB.  Dude hits like a truck and has great speed for a LB.  Could stay on the field in nickel packages.  Don't know how good he is in coverage, tho.  Then, BAM!  Sings with Tits today for 4YR/16MIL.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #64 on: Mar 15, 2014 at 08:11 »

Steve Smith sings with the Ratties.

Thoughts?

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #65 on: Mar 15, 2014 at 08:38 »

Thoughts?

Don't ride the elevator alone with Ray Rice.

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #66 on: Mar 15, 2014 at 08:49 »

Thoughts?

Could there be a more perfect fit?  Another bigmouth on the team that invented bigmouths.

On a serious note, he may be a good get as far as slot.  Great hands, can still get off the line.  But I don't think hes a difference maker anymore.  Really slowed down with the YAC after last year.

From the worldwide leader:

He didn't gain more than 23 yards on any reception until Week 11, and I couldn't find a single play out of his 64 grabs where he produced more than about 15 yards after the catch.

It's more irritating to me than anything that teams like the Ravens and Pats always have cap room to add complimentary pieces like this.  But I really don't think this signing puts them over the top.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #67 on: Mar 17, 2014 at 09:27 »

Brandon Browner sings 3YR/17MIL deal with Pastries.  Ugh.

Giants sign Walter Thurmond to 1YR/3.5MIL deal.

Tarell Brown signs 1YR/3.5MIL (fully guaranteed) deal with Oakland.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111

Browns sign Ben Tate to 2YR/7.5MIL deal.

Pastries also sign Brandon Lafell to 3 year deal.

Finally, Manny Sanders signs 3YR/15MIL deal with Broncos.  Zero excuses now.  A monkey could net 80/1000/8 in that system with that QB.

Also, why am I not surprised that some drama surrounded Sanders' signing.  Pretty classy.  Nice choice of agent.  Match made in heaven.

Edit:  Oh, and read that James Starks is visiting Pittsburgh today.  Nice backup RB option...when healthy.
« Last Edit: Mar 17, 2014 at 09:35 by aj_law » Logged

KeystoneKC
Old School Member

« Reply #68 on: Mar 17, 2014 at 13:23 »

2009 is almost 2008's equal, except there was talent there.  It just didn't fit here (Hood), or went off to play elsewhere (Wallace, Urbik, Lewis... and Shipley, FWIW).   Hood being the last, we've nearly cleaned house on this class, but IMO did a poor eval job on Urbik and probably Shipley.  Did a poor job of talent retention WRT Lewis, a product of bad cap management.  Wallace was destined to go, and has not flourished.

This one is almost tragic!  9 draft picks, & not a one remains.  Setting Hood and DJ aside, since they're just leaving now, most of that crop are still making contributions.  Urbik (Jax), Wallace (Mia), & Lewis (N.O) combined for 48 NFL starts last year.  Shipley (Balt) and Summers (Buf) added 18 more.  The only real misses were Joe Burnett (CFL) & Ra'Shon Harris (life's work). 

Cleveland:  The only NFL city to never play in, or host, a Superbowl.  That bears repeating.
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #69 on: Mar 17, 2014 at 13:55 »

Guy Whimper resigns, Steeler Nation Rejoice!!!!!

Pages: 1 ... 6 [7] 8 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: