Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 23, 2014 at 19:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 [12] 13 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 FAs  (Read 7452 times)
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #110 on: Mar 23, 2014 at 12:37 »

Steelers to meet with Bills' FA LB Arthur Moats early this week.  Blount visit pushed back to Friday

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #111 on: Mar 23, 2014 at 16:54 »

Liked Moats coming out of James Madison as a developmental guy, haven't seen much of him w/ the Bills.  Could be an upside guy.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #112 on: Mar 23, 2014 at 19:12 »

Moore for Cotchery a wash?

Moore's YAC really dropped off last year, but he's a good possession guy and he catches everything.  I don't mind him as a slot guy.  Good catch %, first down % of catches, et al.  Not a burner anymore and never was really.    All things being equal I'd rather have Cotch I think.

WR remains a huge need on draft day.  No way they can go into the season with Wheaton at #2.

IMO, no.  Cotchery is Ward~lite.  Moore is just an average receiver (at best) that did OK in an offense that was built to sling it all over the field.  He was good in the dome, below average on the road.  I also wouldn't consider him a cold weather player either.  I feel like it's a definite downgrade.

L. Blount coming for a visit. Love the game, can't stand the player.

Don't hate the game, hate the playa.  Uh, wait...

Blount.  I think a Bell-Blount one-two punch would be awesome. 

He's definitely one of those tough to root for guys that you love when he's on your team, but hate when he's on the other team.  Honestly, think the guy has matured some in his years in the league.  He would definitely be an outstanding backup to Bell.  Runs angry like a Marshawn Lynch or Marion Barber.  He's no Beastmode, but the guy is tough to bring down.  Question is can they get him on the cheap as others (read:  Ravens) are sniffing around. 

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #113 on: Mar 24, 2014 at 12:36 »

Counterpoint on Moore:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2014/03/did-new-steelers-wr-lance-moore-only-play-well-with-the-saints-at-home/

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #114 on: Mar 24, 2014 at 14:10 »

Looks like they have an agreement with Moats.  Nothing confirmed yet, hearing it's a one year deal.

Edit: One year deal, 795K, 65K signing bonus.  Seems like a solid depth move.  Looks like decent value too.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2014 at 14:17 by Merman1983 » Logged
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #115 on: Mar 24, 2014 at 15:26 »

IMO, he's too quick to dismiss the point.  Dome team.  Also happens to have division rivals that are either in temperate climates (Tampa, Carolina) or is a dome team (Atlanta) too.  8 games in their own place, plus 3 more in substantially similar favorable conditions.  When he's on the road in a tough environment, his numbers dip.  I'll admit that part of it is from the eye test though.  In games I've seen that are outdoors in cold and shitty weather conditions, he seemed to disappear.

Hope I'm wrong, obv.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #116 on: Mar 24, 2014 at 17:05 »

Odd; posted some comparison stats from Moats's combine versus all ILB/OLB from this year's.  Looks like Penso's at it again?

Short version:  he'd be top of class in speed measurables with, e.g., Mack and Shazier, has a very good VJ (explosiveness), average COD skills.  Bills spent 3 years training him up, so a fine move for a backup who can flex inside/out and play teams.  Good call.  Could be more, too, certainly fleeter of foot than some unnamed LBs I've talked about.

Also: ruined Favre's consecutive games started record.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #117 on: Mar 25, 2014 at 17:17 »

Carrington sings with Rams.

Would have preferred Carrington > Cam Thomas, but Thomas appears to be a NT/DE a la Wood.  Course, had we kept Wood, and replaced Hood with Carrington...

Laughably, Colbert avers that Thomas is DE.  OK.  He's 6'3" 330#; Woods 6'4" 307#; Kimo, another NT/DE, more the DE, was 6'4" 300#.  By frame, Thomas is purely NT.  By hopes and wishes, maybe he's got the lateral ability to set the edge, but IMO this is again trying to cast the square peg into the round hole. 

We have:  LDE; NT, of sorts; backup NT; no RDE; guys who may or may not develop into DE.  Again: no starter at RDE.

IMO, Carrington could have started at RDE, but Colbert feels a) backup NT is better than RDE starter, or b) Thomas can actually view for RDE.  Drop some pork chops, big boy.  DL is about half a damn mess.  Looks like we'll address via the draft, and DL sux this year, mostly.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #118 on: Mar 28, 2014 at 07:33 »

MJD to the Rrrrrrraiders.  Blount visiting today.  Appears to be a buyer's market, so...

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #119 on: Mar 28, 2014 at 09:22 »

MJD to the Rrrrrrraiders.  Blount visiting today.  Appears to be a buyer's market, so...

Yeah Moreno 1 year 3 mil from the Fins?  Sheesh, I know he may have been a product of the system, but that seems low for the consensus best back on the market.

If they sign Blount, I'd have to give them at least a B for this offseason.  Given where they were with the cap, getting Mitchell, Moats, Moore, Cam Thomas and Blount would be a success even though I'm not completely thrilled with Moore and Thomas.
Pages: 1 ... 11 [12] 13 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: