Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 17:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 playoffs: divisional round  (Read 1906 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jan 10, 2014 at 09:33 »

This week’s divisional round playoff games will have a difficult time matching the epic Colts comeback over the Chiefs, although hopefully it will avoid the comedic sort of self-implosion seen when Andy Dalton did his best impersonation of every Spinal Tap drummer ever.  Last week, I went 3 of 4 straight up (posted to Facebook), with the only misstep the Bengals mistaking the bed for a litter box.

The 4:30 Saturday game features the Saints going back to Seattle to face the Seahawks.  This reprises an ugly December 2 mismatch that saw the Seahawks bloody the Saints 34 to 7.  The Saints were able to overcome the stigma of playing away in the elements in their win over Philadelphia, but Seattle has perhaps the best home field advantage in the league, to say nothing of their pulverizing defense and Marshawn “Beast Mode” Lynch fueling the ground attack.  It’s damning with faint praise to say the outcome won’t be as ugly this time, but I still see the Seahawks coming out on top, 27-17.

At 8:00, the Colts square off against the Patriots in New England.  Has to be Patriots, right?  Brady?  Belichick?  And do the Colts have anything left after their comeback for the ages?  Then again, the Patriots offense is without their best TEs, and the team has seen a ton of injuries on defense.  They keep finding ways to win, though, and much as it pains me to say it, Belichick has done a hell of a coaching job keeping the Patriots machine going.  Expect tough sledding again early for Luck, but Donald Brown has been running well and Luck to Hilton is a hot combo that the Patriots won’t completely shut down.  A late rally (again!) brings the Colts close.  How close?  Very close.  Colts 23, Patriots 20.

The Niners return to the scene of a week 10 loss (10-9) in Carolina for the 1:00 Sunday game, but the Niners were without a lot of players, including Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree.  This time, it’s the Panthers at a disadvantage, with Steve Smith hobbled.  Expect plenty of crunchy defense and a few offensive breakouts that determine the final.  I was underwhelmed by the healthy Niners offense against a meh Packers D, and the early start time on the road may keep the Niners out of synch.  Panthers have gone 11-1 over the latter part of the season, too.  Panthers in a close one, 17-16.

The 4:30 tilt matches the Chargers against the Broncos for the third time this season.  On December 12, the Chargers snuck out of Denver with a win, and they’ve had a hot hand lately, but the Bolts were a weak six seed in the AFC field, despite the Bungles handing them a win.  Philip Rivers has been playing well, which means if I were betting ATS I’d take the Chargers at +9.5, but I think Manning takes care of business here, setting up Manning vs. the Colts in the AFCC.  But Rivers will make it interesting at the end.  In fact, if the weather was forecast to be bad, I’d probably take the Chargers straight up.  Broncos 31, Chargers 27.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2014 at 14:24 »

How sweet would it be to see Manning lose to the Colts in the AFCC?  Pretty fuckin' sweet.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2014 at 15:41 »

How sweet would it be to see Manning lose to the Colts in the AFCC?  Pretty fuckin' sweet.

Cue the Why so long in the face? jokes...

Hell it would be sweet to see Luck beat Beardy!

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2014 at 16:28 »

That too.  I was so giddy thinking about the Manning FAIL that Beardy was forgotten.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2014 at 17:42 »

Beardy fail >>>Manning fail. Always.

I do love me some manning fail though. So much that I'll be rootin for that slack-jawed yokel this weekend.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 09:52 »

Saints (+8)
Patriots (-7.5)
Panthers (PK)
Broncos (-9.5)

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2014 at 10:26 »

Damn it.  Guess we better prepare ourselves to watch New England in the Super Bowl.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2014 at 08:47 »

Saints (+8)
Patriots (-7.5)
Panthers (PK)
Broncos (-9.5)

Fortunately, got the Saints at (+9.5) at gametime.  Ended up splitting.

Damn it.  Guess we better prepare ourselves to watch New England in the Super Bowl.

Fuck that.

Go Broncos.

(-4.5), tho?

Screams take Pats.  Lock up Denver win!

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2014 at 10:37 »

The two SU misses were the two I vacillated on:  couldn't find a big edge in the SF/Carolina game, thought the young 'uns might pull the upset.  Might have, but didn't get it done in the 2H.  Patriots was all about my head telling me NE at home versus an uneven Colts team is a sure thing, and the feeling that surely sometime the wheels have to come off for the Pats.  Oh well.

Go NFC.

Merman1983
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2014 at 10:55 »

I honestly think I may be rooting for Manning to win it all.  Don't like him by any means but obviously the lesser of two evils in the AFC.

NFC features douches-extrodinaire coaches.  Pulling for Seattle, though.  Less that i hate about that franchise.

Perfect ending for me would be Broncos beating Seattle with about 5 bad calls going the Broncos way.  Like 5 blatantly horrible calls.  Give Seattle fans something else to bitch about 8 years later.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: