Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 18, 2014 at 12:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 ... 4 [All]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 Big Board  (Read 7200 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jan 10, 2014 at 16:04 »

OK, this is actually a first stab at the mini board:  15 guys I think we should consider, more concerned with talent and ability to fit our scheme than with need.

This is going to be changed radically, I'm sure.  But right now...

1. OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M.  Looks like a sure thing.  Stud LT.  Beachum's played well, but this is an upgrade.
2. WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson.  Best receiver in the draft, would give the passing game a seemingly unstoppable 1-2 punch.
3. OLB Anthony Barr, UCLA.  Freakish athlete who would be a great addition as a pass-rusher.  I'd be shocked if he fell to 15 or if we drafted an OLB, but he'd be too hard to pass up if he were there.
4. LB Khalil Mack, Buffalo.  Another guy who's ostensibly an OLB and a nice fit here, but somehow I think he could play inside or out.  Same caveats as Barr, above.
5. WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M.  Maybe have him a little high, but huge upside, almost TE-sized frame, and like Watkins could make the passing game explosive.
6. TE Eric Ebron, NC.  Similar to Evans, nice sized target, very productive, very athletic.
7. ILB CJ Mosley, Alabama.  Not a thumper, but would be a natural leader and provide better speed and coverage.  Good instincts.
8. DL Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota.  Could play any spot on the DL, but would be best suited to end.  Huge and athletic, would be a nice complement to Heyward.
9. OT Greg Robinson, Auburn.  Showed nice athleticism and anchor in the title game, more polished and mobile than some of the other OTs.  Good buzz about him.
10. CB Darqueze Denard.  Good and bad about DD: plays physical.  Want to see if he flips his hips and can turn and run, but could bring some nasty to the secondary.
11. CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma St.  Gilbert and Denard are 1a and 1b.  Gilbert has nice size, maybe not as physical as last year's CB Xav Rhodes, but looks ready to saddle up.  Also valuable KR if needed.
12. DL Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame.  Similar frame and productivity to Hageman.  Not sure he could handle the NT position, but like Hageman might be best suited at DE anyway.
13. OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan.  I like Lewan; some don't.  Plays with some nasty and could be a potential LT.
14. WR Marqise Lee, USC.  Some injury concerns, but would be an explosive addition if he can stay healthy.
15. NT Louis Nix, Notre Dame.  One of a very few true 3-4 NTs worth considering.  Would bring a real plugger to the middle.

Didn't make it: 

The QBs.  IMO, overrated, none worth a look at 15, even Bridgewater. 

Clowney - would fit the 3-4 like a stone in the shoe.  Lazy?

The Bama LT Kouandjio - exposed.  Second rounder at best.

Kelvin Benjamin - flashes potential, nice size, just misses; better options, above.

TEs Amaro and Sefarian-Jenkins - just missed.  Would consider in a trade-down.

LB Beasley, Clemson - another guy who could play inside or out, just missed.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2014 at 18:10 »

Good post.  Agree about the QBs this year, although I'm hoping GMs are dumber than usual and 6 are taken before 1.15.  I like some of the middle round guys, but I don't see what the big deal is about Bridgewater, Boyles, hate Manzel, think Boyd is a 3rd round project.

Love Watkins, obviously, although I think he may go as early as 1.4.  Also agree with you on Lewan.  Blood and guts guy. The way a Steeler offensive lineman should play.  Could guard Ben's blindside until retirement.

Gotta love Denard's physicality but there's questions about him in man to man.  Definitely not afraid to mix it up and tackle though.  Would prefer Gilbert there.

I'm a big fan of Ebron and Amaro and would consider either at that spot. 

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 08:30 »

Mack, Barr, Evans and Lee would be on my wish list for the first round.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 08:48 »

Bridgewater looks like he could be decent, but LOC?  Nada.  And he's sort of wispy.

I like Bortles, mentioned him earlier, but top 10?  Fuck that.  I was thinking maybe second round value.

Don't get the love of David Derek Carr. 

Anyway...  I don't think they're going QB this year, but I'd put some of the guys in this year's class in the mix later iffin I were GM.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 09:57 »

I know it's early, but I'm not a fan of Gilbert. 

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2014 at 10:39 »

I know it's early, but I'm not a fan of Gilbert. 

I have to look at some more footage of him, but he has some traits.  Worth it at 15?  We'll see.  Not a ton of CBs at the top this year.

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2014 at 13:01 »

Not a ton of CBs at the top this year.

That tells me that the carcass will probably be picked clean by 1.15.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2014 at 09:37 »

Was just going to post about Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming and his splash at Senior Bowl practices.

He's a small guy, maybe 5'9" 190#, and I know we've talked about adding a big target for Ben.  (Still could; how about TE?)  But Herron's doing a very nice job of receiving, and could easily be as fast as Mike Wallace.  Wallace ran a 4.28 40, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Herron do that too. 

Then I saw this article

I was chatting with Pittsburgh Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert, who calls the shots at one of the most storied brands in all of football, while watching the 1-on-1 drills and asked which of the receivers had grabbed the attention of this gridiron guru.

Oregon’s Josh Huff, UCLA’s Shaq Evans and Wisconsin’s Jared Abbrederis all looked smooth in this particular session of drills, but it was the 5-foot-10, 187-pound Herron, a speedy player from a lesser-known school, by whom Colbert was most impressed.

If you blinked you would miss Herron’s release off the line, as he repeatedly got great releases when confronted with press coverage. He showed tremendous speed as his routes progressed down the field, pulling away from defenders on more than one occasion.

In the world of analyzing talent, you’ll often hear people say that someone “jumps off the screen.” This kid was quick as a cat and jumps out at you in the three-dimensional realm, too.

If he's there at R3 when we have our comp pick, don't be surprised.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2014 at 09:51 »

Was gonna start a separate thread for draft visits, but I changed my mind.  Figured I'd just leave this here.

Tuitt and Dennard (yay!) visiting.

Others that have visited or are scheduled to visit (thanks to Steelers Depot):
*Shaquille Richardson (CB - Arizona)
*Lache Seastrunk (RB - Baylor)...?
*Anthony Barr (LB - UCLA)
*Jackson Jeffcoat (DE - Texas)
*Aaron Donald (DT - Pittsburgh)
*John Brown (WR - Pittsburgh State)
*Bradley Roby (CB - Ohio State)
*Ryan Shazier (LB - Ohio State)...goddamned Buckeyes always seem to work their way into Steeler drafts.
*Jason Verrett (CB - TCU)
*Seantrel Henderson (OT - Miami)

Feel free to add any that I missed or new additions.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2014 at 12:42 »

Another list from Steelers Depot.  Includes scheduled visits.

CB Shaquille Richardson - Arizona - Scheduled
CB Darqueze Dennard - Michigan State - 4/2/14
RB Lache Seastrunk - Baylor - 4/1/14
LB Anthony Barr - UCLA - Scheduled
DE Jackson Jeffcoat - Texas - Scheduled
DT Aaron Donald - Pittsburgh - Happened
WR John Brown - Pitt State - 3/31/14
CB Bradley Roby - Ohio State - Scheduled
WR Donte Moncrief - Mississippi - 4/1/14
LB Ryan Shazier - Ohio State - Scheduled
DE Stephon Tuitt - Notre Dame - 4/2/14
CB Jason Verrett - TCU - 4/13/14
T Seantrel Henderson - Miami - Scheduled
S Brock Vereen - Minnesota - 4/4/14
WR Bruce Ellington - South Carolina - 4/4/14

Gotta figure they'll bring in all the Pitt and OSU guys since they're in the radius, plus anyone who went to HS in the radius IIRC.   Very good list, IMO, although Seantrel Henderson, who I've penciled in on a couple of mocks now as a late round developmental guy, had the shittiest pro day workout of the year.  Was either in such bad shape that he couldn't finish, or he just outright quit. 

Shaq Richardson and Brock Vereen are legit late round developmental guys with mid-4.4 speed and good size. 

Still don't think Aaron Donald fits our scheme, and looks like the Bears are slobbering over him anyway.  Barr could drop; shows some insane upside, disappears; Bruce Davis flashbacks; hope he's gone before we pick.

Dennard, Moncrief, Shazier, Tuitt, Roby, Verrett are all in the R1-2 mix.  Gut tells me that they may be locked on Moncrief at R2, just as they were with Bell R2 last year; also think a guy they may be changing from pencil to ink is OLB Shaq Robertson, with his connections to new coach Joey Porter - R5 seems right.  Could use some depth, and I bet Porter talks up his boy until his voice is shot.  Of the rest of this group, love to have them all.  Dennard is probably the closest thing to being a legit 1.15, although I think Shaz could be;  Verrett is probably a R1/2 cusp guy, maybe the best CB, but size and the labrum issue would make him a R2 for me.  Tuitt has the size, and is young, but haven't seen any measurables, and he too could disappear for stretches.  R2 with some asterisks.  Most have him higher, which he could earn if I had some numbers.  Roby has the speed, but lots of questions about his 2013 film.  Looks like mental disconnect, so R2 grade, but R1 measurables, possibly some of the highest upside among the CB class.

Seastrunk, if he falls; poor man's LeVeon.

John Brown and Bruce Ellington:  speedy little guys.  We seem to be picking up more speed guys as FA this year, is it a trend?  Have to think they're targeted as KR/PR.

Jeffcoat, has the bloodlines, not a fan, just doesn't seem to put it all together.  Grade him lower than most would.  R4-5 maybe.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2014 at 18:49 »

Have to say, no OL on the linked article BBV = ridiculous.  Lewan at 1.15 certainly;  another prospect the Steelers are looking at late, that I've mocked severally, is OT/OG/C Wesley Johnson.  Really think they like this kid.  Sort of Beachum II.

scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2014 at 15:51 »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UH2AYm8hMMY

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CgB8R07_x4k

Those are my measurables on the 6'5 310lb Tuitt.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2014 at 13:33 »

Haven't really paid much attention to him, but gotta say, Tuitt is a GD monster.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2014 at 17:47 »

Tuitt's intriguing, to be sure. 

At 6'5", 305#, he's got the frame to anchor opposite Heyward.  (The frame that, FWIW, Hood lacked.)  Injuries and inconsistency have plagued him.  A great 2012 season:  Tuitt had 12 sacks, 47 tackles, three forced fumbles, one pass break up and a 77-yard fumble return for a touchdown.  IMO, he was more impressive than Nix in the leadup to the flop vs. Bama.  But then he started the 2013 season slow after hernia surgery; rounded to form later; found out he had a broken foot bone and couldn't run at Indy or for the pro day.  Would be nice to see his agilities measured, and explosiveness (VJ, BJ), but some can be inferred from film.  However:  31 lifts, with long arms (34 3/4"), which ain't just strong, that's NT strong.  IMO, has a lot in common with Rashede Hagemann.

Tuitt:  6'5", 304#, 34 3/4" arms, 31 lifts.
Hagemann:  6'6", 310", 34 1/4" arms, 32 lifts; also, 5.02 40, 1.75 10-yard split, 35 1/2" VJ, 8'6" BJ (73 KEI), a slow 7.87 3-cone. 

I'd imagine Tuitt, when healthy, would be similar.  However, Tuitt is also 20, not 24; I like that moldability. 

VERY patient, steady run defender who doesn't shirk his assignment and get greedy.  Can lose leverage to shorter blockers, but that can be coached.  He can get after the QB, but IMO he looks better as a 3-4 DE than a pass-rushing 4-3 end.  He can wind up on his ass sometimes, but I think his upside is there, and given his age, I'd rate Tuitt a real R1 possibility.  If he works out well, 1.15 for sure.  Huge upside.  Smart kid.  If his workouts are shaky, it depends on why:  injury pushes him to late R1/R2.  Hagemann is lower, because of the age, I'd say R1/2 all the way down to our R2 pick. 

Having Tuitt at RDE across from Heyward with Jarbust at ROLB would make that side very green.  (Worilds could play ROLB, but did very well at LOLB.)  But IMO he'd help Jarbust develop by helping to close up run deficiencies.  He'd be no worse than Ziggy at getting after the QB.  Could be a good way to help the secondary.  Then again, we still need to draft some damn corners.

scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2014 at 12:18 »

Agreed.  More of a trade back pick in my mind.  Would be nice to trade back and go DL, CB, WR, LB (not necessarily in the order) with what would be 4 picks in the first three rounds.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Apr 09, 2014 at 08:40 »

Agreed.  More of a trade back pick in my mind.  Would be nice to trade back and go DL, CB, WR, LB (not necessarily in the order) with what would be 4 picks in the first three rounds.

Yup.  ILB or OLB though?  With Moats on board, he can play either.  BLBA?

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Apr 09, 2014 at 11:19 »

Brandon Thomas (OG/OT - Clemson) tears ACL in workout for Saints.

Dude was a R2/R3 prospect before injury.  Any chance this injury causes him to slip as far as...R5? 

IMO, no brainer to use one of their R5 picks on him. 

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Apr 09, 2014 at 12:19 »

Yeah, definitely worth a R5 flyer.

Probably IOL only, though he's actually an inch taller than Beachum and he's manned LT for us.  So maybe a guy who can play 5 spots?

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Apr 09, 2014 at 18:16 »

General thoughts:

*Really liking the LSU receivers.  Beckham has speed, but also can KR, has good hands, some nice route shiftiness.  Warming to him at 1.15.  Steelers wined & dined Beckham.  Also, Jarvis Landry, no speed, but a baller who reminds me somewhat of Hines.  Either guy would be a nice add, though Landry more so as a R2 guy.  
*I compare Beckham and Ole Miss's Donte Moncrief to Mike Wallace.  OD and DM are mid-4.4 guys, so they can't fly quite like Wally, but much better with hands, still solid deep threats.  Right now I think the FO sees OD as a legit R1 pick, with Moncrief as a R2.  Doubt they wait past R2 to get their WR, and bet it's one of these two.
*Brandin Cooks has DeSean Jackson speed, but is even smaller, like Tavon Austin.  I don't think he's on our radar, but I'd at least consider him.
*You can argue CB and never come to a consensus #1.  Dennard is the most physical, Gilbert has freak speed and some ball skills, Fuller has speed and physicality, Roby has freak speed but "mental disconnect," Verrett is probably the best pure corner but has injury and height issues.  What are your priorities?  
*OT Taylor Lewan could be a total douche, but he's got top-5 skills.  Somewhat reminiscent of Kyle Turley in play and demeanor, in both the good and bad sense.
*DL is overrated this year.  In R1 it's a total gamble, not something the Steelers like to do.  Maybe R2-3.
*There are a ton of mid-round CBs who could be starters in the league if coached up.
*OLB Shaquil Barret, Colo. St., may be on our radar R5 or later.  Check the Porter coaching and alum ties.  Could be a nice developmental guy in a value round.
*NT is a shithole, basically.
*Steelers seemed to like late round OL Wesley Johnson of Vandy, an undersized 5-position guy with great technique.  He's been on my mocks for weeks, and would be a great add even if we took a top OT early.
*Steelers seem bound and determined to have the best RB stable in the league.  In addition to Bell, who will benefit greatly from Munchak as OL coach, and Blount Force Trauma, the FO seems locked in on Baylor's Lache Seastrunk, probably as a R4 target.  He has better speed than Bell, but isn't a Chris Rainey type, more of a speedier, poor man's Bell.
*I'm thinking TE is not a R1-2 priority, but who would you take in later rounds?  Some developmental types, but I'm not shitting my pants over any of them.
*Steelers hosted Louisville S Pryor, despite drafting Shamarko and signing FS Mike Mitchell.  Could S still be a high round pick?  Would the Steelers consider Mitch at FS, Shark at nickel/dime, and a top SS early?  Think about Pryor or Bucannon in the backfield with Mitch and Shark.  Safety would definitely be bringing the pain.  Some later round guys, too.  Dion Bailey from USC, ballhawk with a FS/SS skill set and converted from LB. 
*Bullshit to the QB evals this year.  None of the top QBs (Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, Carr) is a complete player.  None is worth considering among, say, the class of Manning, Rivers, and Roethlisberger.  They could develop into being worthy: Bortles is training with Ben and has Ben-like traits, Manziel has some Vick to his game, Bridgewater seems very pro ready but reedy thin, Manziel is the enigma).  But I wouldn't use a top 10 on any of them. 
*Speaking of QBs, I've seen Pitt's Tom Savage rated anywhere from R2 to R7.  He's got an arm, but come on people.
*Another lively arm, Logan Thomas, is getting a ton of interest.  I don't know if he can be coached into an NFL QB or has to make a transition, but he's an interesting prospect.  Late.  Late.  Late.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2014 at 18:34 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Apr 10, 2014 at 11:34 »

WR Martavis Bryant - Clemson - 3/31/14
S Calvin Pryor - Louisville - 4/7/14
LB - Jordan Zumwalt - UCLA - 4/10/14
S Deone Buchanon - Washington - 4/10/14

Adding to your list via Steelers Depot.

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #20 on: Apr 11, 2014 at 15:56 »

*Another lively arm, Logan Thomas, is getting a ton of interest.  I don't know if he can be coached into an NFL QB or has to make a transition, but he's an interesting prospect.  Late.  Late.  Late.

No he can not be coached into an NFL QB and yes he has to make a transition. He was barely a college QB in the VT games that I watched. Definitely Late...and only then with the understanding that it is as a WR/TE/QB3 (in that order).

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #21 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 13:12 »

WR Martavis Bryant - Clemson - 3/31/14
S Calvin Pryor - Louisville - 4/7/14
LB - Jordan Zumwalt - UCLA - 4/10/14
S Deone Buchanon - Washington - 4/10/14

LB Kevin Pierre-Louis - Boston College - 4/11/14
LB Carl Bradford - Arizona State - 4/11/14
DE Scott Crichton - Oregon State - 4/14/14

Adding to your list via Steelers Depot.

Next wave.

TwistedLemon

« Reply #22 on: Apr 15, 2014 at 15:13 »

I like Bryant, but not until round 3.  Had some lights out games, others....eh, not so much.  Played in the shadow of Watkins and if his work ethic were right, seems to have the talent to be a beast.  Desire is questionable

"My reality check bounced"
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #23 on: Apr 23, 2014 at 15:15 »

Behind the Steel Curtin does an outstanding job documenting Steelers prospect meetings and visits.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #24 on: Apr 23, 2014 at 17:46 »

Visits list:

CB Shaquille Richardson - Arizona - Scheduled 5.169; N/A
CB Darqueze Dennard - Michigan State - 4/2/14 1.14; 1.11
RB Lache Seastrunk - Baylor - 4/1/14 4.102;4.121
LB Anthony Barr - UCLA - Scheduled 1.12; 1.12
DE Jackson Jeffcoat - Texas - Scheduled 3.89;2.62
DT Aaron Donald - Pittsburgh - Happened  1.13; 1.14
WR John Brown - Pitt State - 3/31/14  7.221; FA
CB Bradley Roby - Ohio State - Scheduled 1.32; 2.36
WR Donte Moncrief - Mississippi - 4/1/14  2.39; 2.66
LB Ryan Shazier - Ohio State - Scheduled 1.23;2.36
DE Stephon Tuitt - Notre Dame - 4/2/14 2.40; 2.38
CB Jason Verrett - TCU - 4/13/14 1.29; 1.22
T Seantrel Henderson - Miami - Scheduled  5.156; 5.175
S Brock Vereen - Minnesota - 4/4/14  5.141; 6.207
WR Bruce Ellington - South Carolina - 4/4/14  3.90; 3.90
WR Martavis Bryant - Clemson - 3/31/14  2.50; 2.63
S Calvin Pryor - Louisville - 4/7/14 1.21; 1.30
LB - Jordan Zumwalt - UCLA - 4/10/14 4.115; FA
S Deone Buchannon - Washington - 4/10/14  3.82; 3.71
LB Kevin Pierre-Louis - Boston College - 4/11/14 6.190; 7.256
LB Carl Bradford - Arizona State - 4/11/14 3.69; 5.162
DE Scott Crichton - Oregon State - 4/14/14  2.49; 1.32
DE Ra'Shede Hageman - Minesota - 4/17/14  2.33; 2.34
CB Phillip Gaines - Rice - 4/17/14 2.57; 7.230
TE Rob Branchflower - Massachusetts - 4/17/14  FA; 6.199
S Nick Williams - North Alabama - Reportedly Scheduled  FA; FA
G Lawrence Martin - South Florida - Reportedly Scheduled  FA; FA
OLB Demarcus Lawrence - Boise St. - Reportedly Scheduled  2.43; 3.92
DT Beau Allen - Wisconsin - 4/21/14  FA; 5.171
CB Kyle Fuller - Virginia Tech - Reportedly Scheduled 1.27; 1.27
CB Russ Cockrell - Duke - 4/22/14 5.149; 6.190

LB Demarcus Lawrence - Boise St. - 4/24/14   2.43;3.92
RB/ATH Jerick McKinnon - GA Southern - 4/24/14   4.137;FA

Updates bolded.  Lots to like.  Edit:  Two more today, 4/24/13, added in red, and bolded.

Positional rankings following player info are CBS Sportsline (NFL Draft Scout); Draft Tek.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2014 at 17:24 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #25 on: Apr 24, 2014 at 11:27 »

In the worst case scenario, this is how the visits fall by round (no trades).  I take the earliest selection from NFLDS/Draft Tek, and filter.

Off the board:  

CB Darqueze Dennard, LB Anthony Barr, DT Aaron Donald

Rd 1, Pick 15 (15): CB Bradley Roby, WR Donte Moncrief, LB Ryan Shazier, DE Stephon Tuitt, CB Jason Verrett, S Calvin Pryor, DE Scott Crichton, DE Ra'Shede Hageman, OLB Demarcus Lawrence, CB Kyle Fuller, OLB Demarcus Lawrence

Rd 2, Pick 14 (46): DE Jackson Jeffcoat, WR Bruce Ellington, WR Martavis Bryant, S Deone Buchannon, LB Carl Bradford, CB Phillip Gaines

Rd 3, Pick 33 (97): RB Lache Seastrunk, LB Jordan Zumwalt

Rd 4, Pick 18 (118):  T Seantrel Henderson, S Brock Vereen, RB/ATH Jerick McKinnon

Rd 5, Pick 17 (157): CB Shaquille Richardson, DT Beau Allen, CB Russ Cockrell

Rd 5, Pick 33 (173):

Rd 6, Pick 16 (192): LB Kevin Pierre-Louis

Rd 6, Pick 39 (215): TE Rob Branchflower

Rd 7, Pick 15 (230): WR John Brown

FA: S Nick Williams, G Lawrence Martin
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2014 at 17:25 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014 at 13:37 »

Cross Christian Jones and Seantrel Henderson off the Big Board.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014 at 20:00 »

:TDTD: 

Too dumb to draft.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014 at 06:54 »

Henderson is apparently a huge weed head, probably quit his pro day because he got the munchies.

Bunch of guys gave diluted samples, hard to say with accuracy what the truth is there.  Looks like FSU has some good weed tho.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014 at 09:34 »

Some later round prospects?

I've mentioned Shaw a couple times.  Again, if they're looking for another later round QB prospect, he'd be a solid option.

Pretty sure Henderson is DND.

Some other interesting "poor man's" options on the list too.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2014 at 12:57 »

Henderson and Lyerla are DND.

Don't know what people see in Coleman, except height.  Watched a game where he was a total non-factor, and not even against a particularly good team.  Ellington and Bradford are both ones to watch, and have visited.  IMO Bradford goes R2-3, Ellington R3-5.

I'd look at Shaw late or as a UDFA.  Have a feeling they're sticking with what they have at QB, but there are some guys we should consider day 3 or UDFA.  I'd bring in Aaron Murray if he lasts to R5.  Hell, Tajh Boyd's valuation has gone from a day 2 type to R7?  Although he insists he's been told he'd go early.  Some issues with his game, but a R7 is a throwaway anyway.  Fales IMO doesn't fit here.  Bring in that Bubba from Wyoming or the Cornell kid as camp arms.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2014 at 14:20 »

Don't know what people see in Coleman, except height.  Watched a game where he was a total non-factor, and not even against a particularly good team.  Ellington and Bradford are both ones to watch, and have visited.  IMO Bradford goes R2-3, Ellington R3-5.

Good route runner.  Good hands.  Strong.  Can make catches in traffic.  RZ threat.  Big dude that'll probably fill out even more in the pros.  Frankly, I'd be willing to bet a year of Penso's salary that he'll get picked sooner than most project.

The Supreme Brandon Coleman Highlights

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2014 at 15:42 »

Like I said, I watched one game and really focused on Coleman and he didn't do it for me.  Maybe the sample size wasn't sufficient.  I do get leery of these YouTube highlight reels:  they should show the bad stuff too, you know?  Get an accurate assessment?  For me, Coleman is just another guy on stilts with upside, and they never seem to really do much of anything in the bigs unless I'm overlooking someone.  Like the guy the Giants got, Ramses Barden, same arguments for him, and then pffft, nothing.  Steelers had a couple of guys on stilts over the years, don't think any of them made the 53MR.  I'll take a shifty motherfucker like AB any day.

Straight up, who would you take if I said you could just have the player in a pickup game, Coleman or Jarvis Landry?

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2014 at 14:40 »

From a poster on another site:

Steelers.com is in the middle of a 4 part series documenting the run up to the draft. Been watching more to get a better look at their positional board. Finally showed a good shot (8:12 mark), tho everything right of OLB was cut off. That's ok, cuz from previous photos I could make that out anyways. They had two photos of their board at steelers.com on draft day one. One was a blurry shot from a distance, and the other was an overexposed black and white right before their pick of Shazier. Could make out some things, but other things weren't so clear or confident. If there was a prospect at a position where there were gaps between him and the next guy, it was discernible. It was just when players were bunched and the blur bled into each other that it got dicey. Couldn't tell if it was two prospect or three, like at WR or OT.

But the screen shot from this video makes most of it pretty clear. And those few players to the right of OLB were isolated players so they could be made out. So as a composite, it all came into much better focus, so to speak.

Anyways, 12 players populate the first 2 rows, 19 takes you thru row 3. Which is how many prospects Colbert said they felt comfortable taking R1. Donald has to be the lone DT/NT in that range, as that prospects card is removed in the b/w photo when the Steelers are on the clock. Tuitt pretty much has to be that lone DE in the top 19, as the drop from there makes it nearly impossible for the 2nd DE on their board to be him (next DE is Row 5, 30+ prospects later).

Guessing Martin was outside their R1 hopefuls, 4th OT overall. Guessing their 5th was Kouandijo, cuz that card was redflagged, tho I can't tell if flagged for med or character (+ or O). Interesting, Lewan was not flagged at all. No red on the top 3 OTs.

Straddling the line between row 1 and row 2 is a TE, obviously Ebron. #7 overall on their board. #9 on their board is ILB, Shazier. #8 is their #3 OT. Rounding out row two at #10-12 is their top CB, DT/NT, DE in roughly that order, from what I can tell.

Their #3 and #4 WR are in that 'top 19', Top QB on their board sandwiched between them. They make up #13-15. Then CB, QB, CB, and ILB closing out their 19.

Obviously Shazier cannot be that second ILB at 19, so he's #9 on their board in the top ILB spot. Unlike CB, they didn't really host any of the top WRs for visits, so it's hard to say who their top 2-4 WRs were and what order. But I'd be shocked if Odell Beckham was rated higher on their board than one of Watkins or Evans, as well as Ebron and their #3 OT. Would put him at #6 overall on their board if Beckham is that #2 WR. Can't say for sure, but I really doubt that. Guessing he's #3 or #4 WR on their board. Which, like their top CB, would put him below Shazier on their board. All pointing towards what I suspected. Dulac (or his source) was full of crap.

Wasn't exactly linear in that summary, so here's a breakout:

1. OLB
 2. WR
 3. OT
 4. OLB2
 5. OT2
 6. WR2
 7. TE, Ebron
 8. OT3
 9. ILB, Shazier
 10. CB Gilbert or Fuller, can't be Dennard
 11. NT/DT Donald
 12. DE Tuitt
 13. WR3
 14. QB
 15. WR4
 16. CB2
 17. QB2
 18. CB3
 19. ILB2

Then it looks like:
 20. ILB3
 21. WR5
 22. OT4
 23. Safety
 24. OT5 redflagged
 25. TE2 redflagged

Then you get to row 5 and it bottlenecks, particularly at OLB, and RB. Row 1 appears to be reserved for the special players. Guys, who if they fell to them at their pick they'll run their card in immediately. If that's true, the guys they thought were special were their top 2 WR, top 2 OTs and top two OLBs. Row 2 looks to be guys who they think have a shot at being there who they'd have no problem drafting at their spot. Call it their target cluster if none of those special players drop to them. Row 3 looks like the group that maybe if they couldn't trade back, would be fine with taking at their spot. Fwtw, Shazier was in the middle of row 2, as was Tuitt (TE, OT3, ILB, CB,DT/NT, DE and maybe WR3).

From another picture, I know Clowney was listed as an OLB. One of Clowney, Mack, Barr were not in their top 19. Quite a drop between their 2nd OLB and 3rd OLB, 30ish players, from 1st row to 5th. OTs were Robinson, Matthews, Lewan in unknown order. Top 3 OTs are cleared off their board in the b/w when it was their pick. And since 3 were picked prior to the Steelers being on the clock, has to be those 3. Just don't know the order.

Thought I updated my big board, but maybe Penso deleted it, or I posted in one of the other 10,000 2014 draft threads.  Anyway, it'd be interesting to figure out who they had slotted where...

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2014 at 14:48 »

1. OLB - Clowney
 2. WR - Watkins
 3. OT - Robinson/Matthews
 4. OLB2 - Mack
 5. OT2 - Matthews/Robinson
 6. WR2 - Evans
 7. TE, Ebron
 8. OT3 - Lewan
 9. ILB, Shazier
 10. CB Gilbert or Fuller, can't be Dennard
 11. NT/DT Donald
 12. DE Tuitt
 13. WR3 - Beckham
 14. QB - Bortles?
 15. WR4 - Cooks
 16. CB2 - Fuller/Dennard
 17. QB2 - Bridgewater?
 18. CB3 - Dennard/Fuller
 19. ILB2 - Mosley

Then it looks like:
 20. ILB3 - Van Noy???
 21. WR5 - Benjamin?
 22. OT4 - Martin???
 23. Safety - Dix?
 24. OT5 redflagged - Kouandjio???
 25. TE2 redflagged - ASJ?

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2014 at 10:07 »

Don't know what people see in Coleman, except height.  Watched a game where he was a total non-factor, and not even against a particularly good team.  Ellington and Bradford are both ones to watch, and have visited.  IMO Bradford goes R2-3, Ellington R3-5.

Good route runner.  Good hands.  Strong.  Can make catches in traffic.  RZ threat.  Big dude that'll probably fill out even more in the pros.  Frankly, I'd be willing to bet a year of Penso's salary that he'll get picked sooner than most project.

The Supreme Brandon Coleman Highlights

LOL, nailed that one.  Cough it up, Penz.  Finny needs a new grill.  Still think he's going to make some noise in the league and as a UDFA going to the Saints, he probably couldn't be in a better position to make it happen.  Will be interesting to see if he can take advantage of it.

As to their draft board, am I reading that right?  They had two QBs in their top 19 and no CB until #10?  What's that say about the CB crop this year?  A team with a glaring need at the position has the best one ranked at #10 and the 2nd best one ranked after a QB?  And, I just don't get the point of even having a QB in the top 19 to begin with.  Even if they traded back into the latter third of R1, I would've been floored if they took any of the QBs in the draft and I can't come up with any kind of scenario where it would've been justified.  I must be missing something; dunno, maybe it's just over my head.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014 at 14:07 by aj_law » Logged

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2014 at 10:39 »

Agree that Coleman landed in a good spot, if he can mesh with the Saints system:  they're basically Smurfs, aside from my homeboy Colston, who's now 30.  I think Coleman looks like a practice squadder though.

Yeah, the QB & CB valuation strikes me as odd.  If we had taken any QB ahead of Gilbert, Fuller, Dennard... and maybe even Verrett... I'da been pissed.  The 2014 QB draft class looked good going into the collegiate season but IMO that sort of fell apart, lots of warts on these prospects.  Bridgewater was IMO the best, but can he hold up to a beating?  Manziel is Manziel, glad he's a Brown with no one to throw to, welcome to Vegas big boy.  And I liked Bortles, and had a mid-R2 grade on him in the fall, but top 5?  Fuck 'at.

Keep hearing how they love Shaq, and have talent in house.  Yeah, speed, but talent?  We'll see. 

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2014 at 13:08 »

BTW, if this is correct, the Steelers got 2 guys in R1 & 2 they had rated in their top 15.

IIRC I had Tuitt as a top-15 at one time, then dropped him some after the combine injury was discovered, and he wasn't able to work out.  Obviously, the coaching staff had the advantage of trying him out hands-on, and if healthy he very well should be a top-15 guy.  Some teams must have been thrown by his 2013 stats.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2014 at 14:13 »

BTW, if this is correct, the Steelers got 2 guys in R1 & 2 they had rated in their top 15.

IIRC I had Tuitt as a top-15 at one time, then dropped him some after the combine injury was discovered, and he wasn't able to work out.  Obviously, the coaching staff had the advantage of trying him out hands-on, and if healthy he very well should be a top-15 guy.  Some teams must have been thrown by his 2013 stats.

Fit.  

He's a proto 3-4 DE.  

Yeah, there are more teams running that scheme nowadays, but don't think too many consider spending a R1 on one.  And, the ones that do, probably opt to spend the pick on more pressing (and arguably, tougher to fill) needs.  DEs that go early are either tweeners that become LBs in the pros or pass rushing 4 technique guys.  IMO.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2014 at 15:43 »

IIRC I had Tuitt as a top-15 at one time, then dropped him some after the combine injury was discovered, and he wasn't able to work out.  Obviously, the coaching staff had the advantage of trying him out hands-on, and if healthy he very well should be a top-15 guy.  Some teams must have been thrown by his 2013 stats.

Fit.  

He's a proto 3-4 DE.  

Yeah, there are more teams running that scheme nowadays, but don't think too many consider spending a R1 on one.  And, the ones that do, probably opt to spend the pick on more pressing (and arguably, tougher to fill) needs.  DEs that go early are either tweeners that become LBs in the pros or pass rushing 4 technique guys.  IMO.

Maybe.  He's got a lot of similarity to Hagemann, who got picked up by the Falcons 9 slots earlier.  Kareem Martin, from NC, also similar frame, went to Arizona in R3.  So 40 fronts are taking these bigger guys too.

Tuitt did have private workouts, but his workout numbers weren't posted at most sites.  Still think injury concerns and inability to work out until late in the draft process hurt him.  Some of his 2013 tape he looked sloppy and overweight, but in the context of injuries and inability to get conditioned, I'm not too worried.

I'm curious to see how we use McCullers.  Talk about fit.

Pages: 1 2 ... 4 [All]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: