Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Apr 24, 2014 at 20:51 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 Draft  (Read 350 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Apr 22, 2014 at 11:30 »

Somebody get Rog on the phone and move this shit up.  Draft in May...sucks.  Whoever decided to have it so late should be thrown from a vehicle moving at highway speeds.

Tired of reading mock draft v8.0 or some shit.  By the time it gets here, we'll have mock drafts of the mock drafts.  Paralysis by analysis.

Let's...do...thisssssssss ss...

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
TwistedLemon

« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 13:01 »

Not only that, but get rid of the one round per day or whatever it is dragging on and don't start it in the middle of the week.

I miss the day time of Draft Weekend.....and looking forward to lounging around all weekend doing nothing except watch the draft.

"My reality check bounced"
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 13:59 »

Fucking Goodell will want to go the other way.  Drag the shit out interminably, see how many times you can milk a fucking cat. 

Day 1, the first Friday in April.  Pre-draft special reporting from noon until the first first-round pick at 10 p.m.  Only the first pick of the draft is announced, with hours of pre-selection speculation over trades, etc.

Day 2, the first Saturday in April.  Round one, picks 2-5.  Coverage from 9 a.m., with 1 hour for each pick "on the clock," and 1 hour of draft analysis "off the clock" between the on-clock hours, running until 6 p.m.  Teams are not allowed to select before their hour is up.

Day 3, the first Sunday in April.  Round one, picks 6-10.  Coverage from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., using the Day 2 format.

Day 4, the first Thursday after the first draft weekend in April.  Round one, picks 11-20.  Coverage from 6 p.m. till midnight.  Things really get cooking here, with each team allotted only 30 minutes apiece, and 6 minutes of time between the on-clock hour for heart-rending stories from players in the draft.  "My diddy had a condition call progeria, so's he was already all shrivel like a great-grand-diddy when I was little..."  "My left arm never got no bigger'n a baby arm.  The doc said they'd try stretchin' it with weights, but all it done did was turn it into a flipper, so I started kickin'..." 

Day 24, the last Sunday in May.  All-day wrap-up of the draft and the countdown to Mr. Irrelevant, newly renamed by Goodell as The Last Man In.  Features include:

*Draft Day Memories, from rookies selected on Day 23.  "I remember it like it was yesterday... I was starting to think I would never even get drafted.  Then I was on the hopper with a really irritable crap, one of them where you push a little more, and more just keeps coming out, and you're thinking, 'Whoa, where's this even all coming from?' and 'Is it ever gonna end?', when all of a sudden, out comes a little more..."

*The Momma Montage.  Footage of teary mothers hugging their enormous offspring moments after being drafted.  Includes:  Hilarious Bloopers ("No, momma, they're not called the Bung Holes!"), Whoopsie - Momma Had Herself a Wardrobe Malfunction! ("I've gotta say, it looks like momma could crush a beer can between those things!"), and Sleepy Mommas ("Momma, wake up!  MOMMA!  I know it been eight weeks now, but I been drafted!  Momma, you ain't dead is you?!").

*Punkin' the Losers.  Hilarious footage of collegiate prospects from years past getting set up for hilarious pranks on their jobs as car salesmen, fast food employees, and derelicts who live in their parents' basement. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 14:54 »

Fucking Goodell will want to go the other way.  Drag the shit out interminably, see how many times you can milk a fucking cat.  

Day 1, the first Friday in April.  Pre-draft special reporting from noon until the first first-round pick at 10 p.m.  Only the first pick of the draft is announced, with hours of pre-selection speculation over trades, etc.

Day 2, the first Saturday in April.  Round one, picks 2-5.  Coverage from 9 a.m., with 1 hour for each pick "on the clock," and 1 hour of draft analysis "off the clock" between the on-clock hours, running until 6 p.m.  Teams are not allowed to select before their hour is up.

Day 3, the first Sunday in April.  Round one, picks 6-10.  Coverage from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., using the Day 2 format.

Day 4, the first Thursday after the first draft weekend in April.  Round one, picks 11-20.  Coverage from 6 p.m. till midnight.  Things really get cooking here, with each team allotted only 30 minutes apiece, and 6 minutes of time between the on-clock hour for heart-rending stories from players in the draft.  "My diddy had a condition call progeria, so's he was already all shrivel like a great-grand-diddy when I was little..."  "My left arm never got no bigger'n a baby arm.  The doc said they'd try stretchin' it with weights, but all it done did was turn it into a flipper, so I started kickin'..."  

Day 24, the last Sunday in May.  All-day wrap-up of the draft and the countdown to Mr. Irrelevant, newly renamed by Goodell as The Last Man In.  Features include:

*Draft Day Memories, from rookies selected on Day 23.  "I remember it like it was yesterday... I was starting to think I would never even get drafted.  Then I was on the hopper with a really irritable crap, one of them where you push a little more, and more just keeps coming out, and you're thinking, 'Whoa, where's this even all coming from?' and 'Is it ever gonna end?', when all of a sudden, out comes a little more..."

*The Momma Montage.  Footage of teary mothers hugging their enormous offspring moments after being drafted.  Includes:  Hilarious Bloopers ("No, momma, they're not called the Bung Holes!"), Whoopsie - Momma Had Herself a Wardrobe Malfunction! ("I've gotta say, it looks like momma could crush a beer can between those things!"), and Sleepy Mommas ("Momma, wake up!  MOMMA!  I know it been eight weeks now, but I been drafted!  Momma, you ain't dead is you?!").

*Punkin' the Losers.  Hilarious footage of collegiate prospects from years past getting set up for hilarious pranks on their jobs as car salesmen, fast food employees, and derelicts who live in their parents' basement.  

*slow clap*

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 15:27 »

I think the general consensus is that Pittsburgh will go either CB or WR in R1.  Safe to say?  They don't generally do a good job of hiding which cages they're rattling and I think it's even more obvious this year.  Maybe I'm assuming too much, but it sure feels like that's the case.

So, with that said, let's try to look at things a little differently.  Let's assume that they don't go CB or WR in R1.  Which way do they go?  A franchise OT prospect?  Playmaking LB?  A NT to clog the middle?  A monster, versatile two gap DE?  What position and specifically, which player do they draft?

IMO, it's really a tough call considering the amount of options they should have at 1.15.  I'd like to say they're gonna grab an OT to protect #7's blindside for the rest of his career, but I think in the end I'm gonna guess that they'll go with the bigger need and draft a beast of a defensive end in Stephon Tuitt (Notre Dame).  Yeah, it ain't secksy...it ain't splashy, but he's the kind of physical freak that has the potential to be a really special player.  Size, speed and strength make him perfectly suited to play end (and possibly even slide inside occasionally) in a 3 front.

Who you got?

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 17:30 »

Default:  WR/CB in R1-2 in some order.

When 1.15:  Best guy on their board.  So they have multiple contingencies.

If Lewan falls, because he's an Incognito-level dick, but we decide it's worth the risk?  Rejigger the value by round and reset.

If they have a LB (Mosley, Shazier) or DE (Tuitt; Hagemann?) rated that high, who knows. 

The FO definitely seems obsessed with SPEED on defense, CB, LB, even DE.  And WR/KR.  It's much more pronounced this year than any other.

Not sure who I got, but I'm thinking of who I like, and who's likely to be there, and... Dennard.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:05 »

Default:  WR/CB in R1-2 in some order.

When 1.15:  Best guy on their board.  So they have multiple contingencies.

If Lewan falls, because he's an Incognito-level dick, but we decide it's worth the risk?  Rejigger the value by round and reset.

If they have a LB (Mosley, Shazier) or DE (Tuitt; Hagemann?) rated that high, who knows.  

The FO definitely seems obsessed with SPEED on defense, CB, LB, even DE.  And WR/KR.  It's much more pronounced this year than any other.

Not sure who I got, but I'm thinking of who I like, and who's likely to be there, and... Dennard.

Uh, LDO.  Been clamoring for some DDs for like months...

The point was to ask who people think they'll go with if they don't go CB or WR as expected.

#HarryAwaymoment
« Last Edit: Today at 09:11 by aj_law » Logged

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Today at 14:09 »

Well, in the unlikely event of going off the WR/CB script R1, and given the top 3 OTs are off as well as the other likely players (Mack, Watkins, et al.), it would be Shazier or Tuitt.  Shazier would bring speed to cover, fly to the runner, catch up on broken plays.  Tuitt's the proto 34 end, is young with tons of upside.  Downside:  can Shazier avoid the big bodies to get to the ball?  Can Tuitt be more consistently motivated?

Considering the dropoff at DE, and the fact that Tuitt's only 20, he'd probably be my pick, narrowly.  Pick up an athletic guy like Frenchy out of BC to compete at ILB, can be had R4 or later.

OK, a Tuitt-based draft.

1.15: Tuitt
2.46:  WR Davante Adams
3.97 (Comp.): FS/SS Dion Bailey
4.118:  CB Walt Aikens
5.157: OT Matt Patchan 
5.173 (Comp.):  ILB Kevin Pierre-Lewis
6.192: CB/S Antoine Exum
6.215 (Comp): WR/KR John Brown
7.230: NT Ryan Carrethers

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Today at 17:18 »

Now that I think on it, I'd take Shazier over Tuitt and look for a DE value like Gardner later.  So ignore all that above.

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Today at 18:10 »

Day 24, the last Sunday in May.  All-day wrap-up of the draft and the countdown to Mr. Irrelevant, newly renamed by Goodell as The Last Man In.  Features include:

Day 25 - Monday morning - Super Bowl pregame show begins...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: