Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Sep 20, 2014 at 23:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 Big Board  (Read 7217 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Jan 10, 2014 at 16:04 »

OK, this is actually a first stab at the mini board:  15 guys I think we should consider, more concerned with talent and ability to fit our scheme than with need.

This is going to be changed radically, I'm sure.  But right now...

1. OT Jake Matthews, Texas A&M.  Looks like a sure thing.  Stud LT.  Beachum's played well, but this is an upgrade.
2. WR Sammy Watkins, Clemson.  Best receiver in the draft, would give the passing game a seemingly unstoppable 1-2 punch.
3. OLB Anthony Barr, UCLA.  Freakish athlete who would be a great addition as a pass-rusher.  I'd be shocked if he fell to 15 or if we drafted an OLB, but he'd be too hard to pass up if he were there.
4. LB Khalil Mack, Buffalo.  Another guy who's ostensibly an OLB and a nice fit here, but somehow I think he could play inside or out.  Same caveats as Barr, above.
5. WR Mike Evans, Texas A&M.  Maybe have him a little high, but huge upside, almost TE-sized frame, and like Watkins could make the passing game explosive.
6. TE Eric Ebron, NC.  Similar to Evans, nice sized target, very productive, very athletic.
7. ILB CJ Mosley, Alabama.  Not a thumper, but would be a natural leader and provide better speed and coverage.  Good instincts.
8. DL Ra'Shede Hageman, Minnesota.  Could play any spot on the DL, but would be best suited to end.  Huge and athletic, would be a nice complement to Heyward.
9. OT Greg Robinson, Auburn.  Showed nice athleticism and anchor in the title game, more polished and mobile than some of the other OTs.  Good buzz about him.
10. CB Darqueze Denard.  Good and bad about DD: plays physical.  Want to see if he flips his hips and can turn and run, but could bring some nasty to the secondary.
11. CB Justin Gilbert, Oklahoma St.  Gilbert and Denard are 1a and 1b.  Gilbert has nice size, maybe not as physical as last year's CB Xav Rhodes, but looks ready to saddle up.  Also valuable KR if needed.
12. DL Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame.  Similar frame and productivity to Hageman.  Not sure he could handle the NT position, but like Hageman might be best suited at DE anyway.
13. OT Taylor Lewan, Michigan.  I like Lewan; some don't.  Plays with some nasty and could be a potential LT.
14. WR Marqise Lee, USC.  Some injury concerns, but would be an explosive addition if he can stay healthy.
15. NT Louis Nix, Notre Dame.  One of a very few true 3-4 NTs worth considering.  Would bring a real plugger to the middle.

Didn't make it: 

The QBs.  IMO, overrated, none worth a look at 15, even Bridgewater. 

Clowney - would fit the 3-4 like a stone in the shoe.  Lazy?

The Bama LT Kouandjio - exposed.  Second rounder at best.

Kelvin Benjamin - flashes potential, nice size, just misses; better options, above.

TEs Amaro and Sefarian-Jenkins - just missed.  Would consider in a trade-down.

LB Beasley, Clemson - another guy who could play inside or out, just missed.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2014 at 18:10 »

Good post.  Agree about the QBs this year, although I'm hoping GMs are dumber than usual and 6 are taken before 1.15.  I like some of the middle round guys, but I don't see what the big deal is about Bridgewater, Boyles, hate Manzel, think Boyd is a 3rd round project.

Love Watkins, obviously, although I think he may go as early as 1.4.  Also agree with you on Lewan.  Blood and guts guy. The way a Steeler offensive lineman should play.  Could guard Ben's blindside until retirement.

Gotta love Denard's physicality but there's questions about him in man to man.  Definitely not afraid to mix it up and tackle though.  Would prefer Gilbert there.

I'm a big fan of Ebron and Amaro and would consider either at that spot. 

Brinker
Lennar Homes Consultant
Old School Member

Mr Jack

« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 08:30 »

Mack, Barr, Evans and Lee would be on my wish list for the first round.

"He'll just smile and be cordial out there. Then he'll kill you."
--Aaron Smith, Defensive Lineman, on Troy Polamulu
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 08:48 »

Bridgewater looks like he could be decent, but LOC?  Nada.  And he's sort of wispy.

I like Bortles, mentioned him earlier, but top 10?  Fuck that.  I was thinking maybe second round value.

Don't get the love of David Derek Carr. 

Anyway...  I don't think they're going QB this year, but I'd put some of the guys in this year's class in the mix later iffin I were GM.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2014 at 09:57 »

I know it's early, but I'm not a fan of Gilbert. 

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2014 at 10:39 »

I know it's early, but I'm not a fan of Gilbert. 

I have to look at some more footage of him, but he has some traits.  Worth it at 15?  We'll see.  Not a ton of CBs at the top this year.

kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2014 at 13:01 »

Not a ton of CBs at the top this year.

That tells me that the carcass will probably be picked clean by 1.15.

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2014 at 09:37 »

Was just going to post about Robert Herron, WR, Wyoming and his splash at Senior Bowl practices.

He's a small guy, maybe 5'9" 190#, and I know we've talked about adding a big target for Ben.  (Still could; how about TE?)  But Herron's doing a very nice job of receiving, and could easily be as fast as Mike Wallace.  Wallace ran a 4.28 40, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Herron do that too. 

Then I saw this article

I was chatting with Pittsburgh Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert, who calls the shots at one of the most storied brands in all of football, while watching the 1-on-1 drills and asked which of the receivers had grabbed the attention of this gridiron guru.

Oregon’s Josh Huff, UCLA’s Shaq Evans and Wisconsin’s Jared Abbrederis all looked smooth in this particular session of drills, but it was the 5-foot-10, 187-pound Herron, a speedy player from a lesser-known school, by whom Colbert was most impressed.

If you blinked you would miss Herron’s release off the line, as he repeatedly got great releases when confronted with press coverage. He showed tremendous speed as his routes progressed down the field, pulling away from defenders on more than one occasion.

In the world of analyzing talent, you’ll often hear people say that someone “jumps off the screen.” This kid was quick as a cat and jumps out at you in the three-dimensional realm, too.

If he's there at R3 when we have our comp pick, don't be surprised.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2014 at 09:51 »

Was gonna start a separate thread for draft visits, but I changed my mind.  Figured I'd just leave this here.

Tuitt and Dennard (yay!) visiting.

Others that have visited or are scheduled to visit (thanks to Steelers Depot):
*Shaquille Richardson (CB - Arizona)
*Lache Seastrunk (RB - Baylor)...?
*Anthony Barr (LB - UCLA)
*Jackson Jeffcoat (DE - Texas)
*Aaron Donald (DT - Pittsburgh)
*John Brown (WR - Pittsburgh State)
*Bradley Roby (CB - Ohio State)
*Ryan Shazier (LB - Ohio State)...goddamned Buckeyes always seem to work their way into Steeler drafts.
*Jason Verrett (CB - TCU)
*Seantrel Henderson (OT - Miami)

Feel free to add any that I missed or new additions.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2014 at 12:42 »

Another list from Steelers Depot.  Includes scheduled visits.

CB Shaquille Richardson - Arizona - Scheduled
CB Darqueze Dennard - Michigan State - 4/2/14
RB Lache Seastrunk - Baylor - 4/1/14
LB Anthony Barr - UCLA - Scheduled
DE Jackson Jeffcoat - Texas - Scheduled
DT Aaron Donald - Pittsburgh - Happened
WR John Brown - Pitt State - 3/31/14
CB Bradley Roby - Ohio State - Scheduled
WR Donte Moncrief - Mississippi - 4/1/14
LB Ryan Shazier - Ohio State - Scheduled
DE Stephon Tuitt - Notre Dame - 4/2/14
CB Jason Verrett - TCU - 4/13/14
T Seantrel Henderson - Miami - Scheduled
S Brock Vereen - Minnesota - 4/4/14
WR Bruce Ellington - South Carolina - 4/4/14

Gotta figure they'll bring in all the Pitt and OSU guys since they're in the radius, plus anyone who went to HS in the radius IIRC.   Very good list, IMO, although Seantrel Henderson, who I've penciled in on a couple of mocks now as a late round developmental guy, had the shittiest pro day workout of the year.  Was either in such bad shape that he couldn't finish, or he just outright quit. 

Shaq Richardson and Brock Vereen are legit late round developmental guys with mid-4.4 speed and good size. 

Still don't think Aaron Donald fits our scheme, and looks like the Bears are slobbering over him anyway.  Barr could drop; shows some insane upside, disappears; Bruce Davis flashbacks; hope he's gone before we pick.

Dennard, Moncrief, Shazier, Tuitt, Roby, Verrett are all in the R1-2 mix.  Gut tells me that they may be locked on Moncrief at R2, just as they were with Bell R2 last year; also think a guy they may be changing from pencil to ink is OLB Shaq Robertson, with his connections to new coach Joey Porter - R5 seems right.  Could use some depth, and I bet Porter talks up his boy until his voice is shot.  Of the rest of this group, love to have them all.  Dennard is probably the closest thing to being a legit 1.15, although I think Shaz could be;  Verrett is probably a R1/2 cusp guy, maybe the best CB, but size and the labrum issue would make him a R2 for me.  Tuitt has the size, and is young, but haven't seen any measurables, and he too could disappear for stretches.  R2 with some asterisks.  Most have him higher, which he could earn if I had some numbers.  Roby has the speed, but lots of questions about his 2013 film.  Looks like mental disconnect, so R2 grade, but R1 measurables, possibly some of the highest upside among the CB class.

Seastrunk, if he falls; poor man's LeVeon.

John Brown and Bruce Ellington:  speedy little guys.  We seem to be picking up more speed guys as FA this year, is it a trend?  Have to think they're targeted as KR/PR.

Jeffcoat, has the bloodlines, not a fan, just doesn't seem to put it all together.  Grade him lower than most would.  R4-5 maybe.

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: