Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Dec 19, 2014 at 02:04 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 Big Board  (Read 7581 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2014 at 18:49 »

Have to say, no OL on the linked article BBV = ridiculous.  Lewan at 1.15 certainly;  another prospect the Steelers are looking at late, that I've mocked severally, is OT/OG/C Wesley Johnson.  Really think they like this kid.  Sort of Beachum II.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #11 on: Apr 05, 2014 at 15:51 »

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UH2AYm8hMMY

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CgB8R07_x4k

Those are my measurables on the 6'5 310lb Tuitt.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2014 at 13:33 »

Haven't really paid much attention to him, but gotta say, Tuitt is a GD monster.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Apr 07, 2014 at 17:47 »

Tuitt's intriguing, to be sure. 

At 6'5", 305#, he's got the frame to anchor opposite Heyward.  (The frame that, FWIW, Hood lacked.)  Injuries and inconsistency have plagued him.  A great 2012 season:  Tuitt had 12 sacks, 47 tackles, three forced fumbles, one pass break up and a 77-yard fumble return for a touchdown.  IMO, he was more impressive than Nix in the leadup to the flop vs. Bama.  But then he started the 2013 season slow after hernia surgery; rounded to form later; found out he had a broken foot bone and couldn't run at Indy or for the pro day.  Would be nice to see his agilities measured, and explosiveness (VJ, BJ), but some can be inferred from film.  However:  31 lifts, with long arms (34 3/4"), which ain't just strong, that's NT strong.  IMO, has a lot in common with Rashede Hagemann.

Tuitt:  6'5", 304#, 34 3/4" arms, 31 lifts.
Hagemann:  6'6", 310", 34 1/4" arms, 32 lifts; also, 5.02 40, 1.75 10-yard split, 35 1/2" VJ, 8'6" BJ (73 KEI), a slow 7.87 3-cone. 

I'd imagine Tuitt, when healthy, would be similar.  However, Tuitt is also 20, not 24; I like that moldability. 

VERY patient, steady run defender who doesn't shirk his assignment and get greedy.  Can lose leverage to shorter blockers, but that can be coached.  He can get after the QB, but IMO he looks better as a 3-4 DE than a pass-rushing 4-3 end.  He can wind up on his ass sometimes, but I think his upside is there, and given his age, I'd rate Tuitt a real R1 possibility.  If he works out well, 1.15 for sure.  Huge upside.  Smart kid.  If his workouts are shaky, it depends on why:  injury pushes him to late R1/R2.  Hagemann is lower, because of the age, I'd say R1/2 all the way down to our R2 pick. 

Having Tuitt at RDE across from Heyward with Jarbust at ROLB would make that side very green.  (Worilds could play ROLB, but did very well at LOLB.)  But IMO he'd help Jarbust develop by helping to close up run deficiencies.  He'd be no worse than Ziggy at getting after the QB.  Could be a good way to help the secondary.  Then again, we still need to draft some damn corners.

scballersc

Saw Ben on Halloween (pre-Milledgeville)

« Reply #14 on: Apr 08, 2014 at 12:18 »

Agreed.  More of a trade back pick in my mind.  Would be nice to trade back and go DL, CB, WR, LB (not necessarily in the order) with what would be 4 picks in the first three rounds.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Apr 09, 2014 at 08:40 »

Agreed.  More of a trade back pick in my mind.  Would be nice to trade back and go DL, CB, WR, LB (not necessarily in the order) with what would be 4 picks in the first three rounds.

Yup.  ILB or OLB though?  With Moats on board, he can play either.  BLBA?

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Apr 09, 2014 at 11:19 »

Brandon Thomas (OG/OT - Clemson) tears ACL in workout for Saints.

Dude was a R2/R3 prospect before injury.  Any chance this injury causes him to slip as far as...R5? 

IMO, no brainer to use one of their R5 picks on him. 

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #17 on: Apr 09, 2014 at 12:19 »

Yeah, definitely worth a R5 flyer.

Probably IOL only, though he's actually an inch taller than Beachum and he's manned LT for us.  So maybe a guy who can play 5 spots?

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #18 on: Apr 09, 2014 at 18:16 »

General thoughts:

*Really liking the LSU receivers.  Beckham has speed, but also can KR, has good hands, some nice route shiftiness.  Warming to him at 1.15.  Steelers wined & dined Beckham.  Also, Jarvis Landry, no speed, but a baller who reminds me somewhat of Hines.  Either guy would be a nice add, though Landry more so as a R2 guy.  
*I compare Beckham and Ole Miss's Donte Moncrief to Mike Wallace.  OD and DM are mid-4.4 guys, so they can't fly quite like Wally, but much better with hands, still solid deep threats.  Right now I think the FO sees OD as a legit R1 pick, with Moncrief as a R2.  Doubt they wait past R2 to get their WR, and bet it's one of these two.
*Brandin Cooks has DeSean Jackson speed, but is even smaller, like Tavon Austin.  I don't think he's on our radar, but I'd at least consider him.
*You can argue CB and never come to a consensus #1.  Dennard is the most physical, Gilbert has freak speed and some ball skills, Fuller has speed and physicality, Roby has freak speed but "mental disconnect," Verrett is probably the best pure corner but has injury and height issues.  What are your priorities?  
*OT Taylor Lewan could be a total douche, but he's got top-5 skills.  Somewhat reminiscent of Kyle Turley in play and demeanor, in both the good and bad sense.
*DL is overrated this year.  In R1 it's a total gamble, not something the Steelers like to do.  Maybe R2-3.
*There are a ton of mid-round CBs who could be starters in the league if coached up.
*OLB Shaquil Barret, Colo. St., may be on our radar R5 or later.  Check the Porter coaching and alum ties.  Could be a nice developmental guy in a value round.
*NT is a shithole, basically.
*Steelers seemed to like late round OL Wesley Johnson of Vandy, an undersized 5-position guy with great technique.  He's been on my mocks for weeks, and would be a great add even if we took a top OT early.
*Steelers seem bound and determined to have the best RB stable in the league.  In addition to Bell, who will benefit greatly from Munchak as OL coach, and Blount Force Trauma, the FO seems locked in on Baylor's Lache Seastrunk, probably as a R4 target.  He has better speed than Bell, but isn't a Chris Rainey type, more of a speedier, poor man's Bell.
*I'm thinking TE is not a R1-2 priority, but who would you take in later rounds?  Some developmental types, but I'm not shitting my pants over any of them.
*Steelers hosted Louisville S Pryor, despite drafting Shamarko and signing FS Mike Mitchell.  Could S still be a high round pick?  Would the Steelers consider Mitch at FS, Shark at nickel/dime, and a top SS early?  Think about Pryor or Bucannon in the backfield with Mitch and Shark.  Safety would definitely be bringing the pain.  Some later round guys, too.  Dion Bailey from USC, ballhawk with a FS/SS skill set and converted from LB. 
*Bullshit to the QB evals this year.  None of the top QBs (Bridgewater, Manziel, Bortles, Carr) is a complete player.  None is worth considering among, say, the class of Manning, Rivers, and Roethlisberger.  They could develop into being worthy: Bortles is training with Ben and has Ben-like traits, Manziel has some Vick to his game, Bridgewater seems very pro ready but reedy thin, Manziel is the enigma).  But I wouldn't use a top 10 on any of them. 
*Speaking of QBs, I've seen Pitt's Tom Savage rated anywhere from R2 to R7.  He's got an arm, but come on people.
*Another lively arm, Logan Thomas, is getting a ton of interest.  I don't know if he can be coached into an NFL QB or has to make a transition, but he's an interesting prospect.  Late.  Late.  Late.
« Last Edit: Apr 09, 2014 at 18:34 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Apr 10, 2014 at 11:34 »

Another list from Steelers Depot.  Includes scheduled visits.

CB Shaquille Richardson - Arizona - Scheduled
CB Darqueze Dennard - Michigan State - 4/2/14
RB Lache Seastrunk - Baylor - 4/1/14
LB Anthony Barr - UCLA - Scheduled
DE Jackson Jeffcoat - Texas - Scheduled
DT Aaron Donald - Pittsburgh - Happened
WR John Brown - Pitt State - 3/31/14
CB Bradley Roby - Ohio State - Scheduled
WR Donte Moncrief - Mississippi - 4/1/14
LB Ryan Shazier - Ohio State - Scheduled
DE Stephon Tuitt - Notre Dame - 4/2/14
CB Jason Verrett - TCU - 4/13/14
T Seantrel Henderson - Miami - Scheduled
S Brock Vereen - Minnesota - 4/4/14
WR Bruce Ellington - South Carolina - 4/4/14
WR Martavis Bryant - Clemson - 3/31/14
S Calvin Pryor - Louisville - 4/7/14
LB - Jordan Zumwalt - UCLA - 4/10/14
S Deone Buchanon - Washington - 4/10/14

Adding to your list via Steelers Depot.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: