Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 00:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DE/OLB Michael Sam  (Read 2278 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Feb 10, 2014 at 09:36 »

OK, so cue the mock draft jokes:  has a nose for the ball, not afraid to stick his head in, always plays hard, knows how to plug the hole, is all over the tight end...

He's currently projected to go anywhere from R3-5, and at 6'2" 260#, 4.74 est., he could be a guy to consider for OLB depth, especially given the Worilds FA.  First of all, whatever my criticisms of Tomlin, I can't see a situation where he or the Rooneys would allow a hostile player environment:  the Steelers might be one of the BEST possible teams for Sam to go to. 

So, he's very productive in the SEC, has a huge wingspan, same exact height as Jarvis, about 15# heavier, and a good bit faster than Jarvis.  (In my first rough draft Big Board, using several sites' projections and averaging them, I had Sam at 71st overall, which would be R3; even if he drops due to the gay issue, I don't think he falls out of R4.)

So my question is:  how much of a dropoff is there between Jarvis Jones and Michael Sam, if any?  And if we'd take him in R4, wouldn't that be a pretty good value?  I guess it does depend on what we're considering with Worilds, but Sams could be an interesting prospect gotten a little lower than originally projected.

Also, wherever he goes, I think the whole gay player in the NFL thing will amount to very little once the pads are on. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2014 at 19:56 »

I agree that if he can play,it will be a non-issue.  And he is obviously going to be drafted.  The question will be, what if you draft him and it turns out he can't play?  Which team wants to take the risk of the "you only cut him because he's gay" stigma when in reality it is not all that unusual for a mid-round player to not stick?

In other words, if he's a young, hungry but not fat Lamar Woodley or a healthy Kendrell Bell, no problem.  If he's Huey Richardson or Zo Jackson, problem.
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2014 at 09:30 »

If he's there in R4, STRONG consideration.  R5?  No brainer.

Move Jarvis inside with Timmons.  Sam and Worilds on the edges.

IDGAF if he's 98% or not, if he can drop the hamme...ah, lay the woo...uh, bring it on every play and be a force on defense, SING him the fuck up.

Mendenhall tweeted his support yesterday evening:

@Spindenhall34 @MichaelSam Can't wait for you to cum to the desert.

#brosbeforehoes

OK, OK, sorry...sorry...that's it...I'll stop.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2014 at 10:52 »

I like the idea of Jarvis inside along with Timmons.  (Who, it should be noted, was also drafted by Tomlin as an OLB.)

In any event, Sam seems similar to Worilds coming out of VT:  Worilds was 6'1", 254#, ran a 4.65 40 at the combine (4.49 pro day).  I see Sam as an edge rusher who's sort of a one-trick pony (speed) right now, but coach him up.  Both Worilds and Sam had good TFL and sack numbers, sort of similar there too.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2014 at 13:02 »

Excellent writeup here on his strengths and weaknesses.

IMO, this also explains some of the technical details of why a guy like Worilds takes a couple years to get it:  better use of hands, getting more physical, etc.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2014 at 17:20 »

BTW, saw this:  not really interested in Richardson, but notice how #52 is double teamed in the clips with Missouri.  Sam may be a one-trick pony, but opposing coaches definitely had to game-plan for him.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2014 at 13:21 »

BTW, digging deeper into Sam's numbers, although his frame and productivity compare to Worilds, his combine numbers came up short, and he did not look good dropping into space.  Worilds's low 40 was 4.65 (4.49 at his pro day, but I take that and many pro day 40s with a grain of salt), whereas Sam ran a 4.91 - bad news for a guy whose game is predicated on edge speed.  Perhaps more important than long speed, as it is with OL guys, is how fast they get off the line, where Worilds clocked a slick 1.56, and Sam came in at 1.72 and 1.75.  (Worilds's 10-yeard split was equal to Clowney's, FWIW.)

OK, but bending the corner is also measured by agilities.  3-cone time for Worilds was again a solid 6.95, where I think you want to be under 7.00 to be elite.  Remember, Worilds played DE at VT, and his 6.95 would have beaten all DL players this year except for Sam's teammate Kony Ealy and some guy I never heard of from La. Tech.  Clowney, again as a contrast, came in at 7.27 - not exactly elite, meaning he has some great measurable including straight-line speed, but he's far from the complete player (not agile, not strong).  Sam was even worse at 7.80.  I'd have to see a big improvement at his pro day, but off those two numbers, he looks like a very good collegiate who will have difficulty translating to the pros. 

You can learn a new position (DE to OLB), but you can't learn speed and agility. 

Finally, KEI, useful for fr7 guys most especially, grades out well for Worilds (71.5), where >70 suggest elite potential.  Sam (52) is VERY disappointing in this metric, but I suspected it would be his worst.  He really needed better speed and flex.  Fail on all three measures pushes him close to DND for me, much as I like the kid and his NCAA stats.  He's going to need a monstrous improvement at his pro day to even make it to late rounds, IMO.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: