Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Nov 21, 2014 at 12:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Deepest draft, evah?  (Read 2322 times)
aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: Feb 20, 2014 at 11:47 »

Well then, no excuses for not slamming it out of the park in 2014.

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2014 at 12:23 »

My thought's exactly.  You declare it the deepest draft of your career, you better have an excellent draft.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2014 at 13:07 »

No shit.  If ever there was a year to trade back and stock up R2-4, this is it.  IMO, we absolutely need 5 bona fides from this year's haul (1 WR/TE, 2 DB, 1 DL, 1 LB), so that means either a trade back or no fuckups the first 5 rounds. 

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2014 at 14:28 »

The excuse was built right into the article...you must have just missed it. Here it is again:

"The one thing we talk about with these underclassmen is that we're very cautiously optimistic about their emotional and physical readiness for this," Colbert said. "Even though this is the most talented group I've seen, I'm worried this is the most immature group."

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 20, 2014 at 15:19 »

The excuse was built right into the article...you must have just missed it. Here it is again:

"The one thing we talk about with these underclassmen is that we're very cautiously optimistic about their emotional and physical readiness for this," Colbert said. "Even though this is the most talented group I've seen, I'm worried this is the most immature group."

True, but...

"I've been doing this for 30 years," Colbert said at the NFL Scouting Combine  This is the deepest draft I've ever seen. We felt that way ... even before the underclassmen came in. Even during the fall, our scouts talked about the senior class being a good class and we don't know what the junior class is going to be. The juniors added into it to make it a very talented group.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014 at 08:41 »

Too soon for a post mortem?

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014 at 10:14 »

We needed a home run, and I think we got a triple.

I said we needed 1 WR/TE, 2 DB, 1 DL, 1 LB as bona fides.

Signing Lance Moore might have taken some of the pressure off the WR/TE being a slam dunk, and Bryant has some potential if he can put it all together.  I think taken in tandem, Moore/Bryant pushes this into wait and see mode.  Branchflower is another developmental guy, can't take too much from that.

DB was a fail, IMO.  I know that Carnell Lake really liked Shaq, but IMO we are woefully thin at CB.  Some whispers that they think they have a guy or guys on roster who are developing (Antwon Blake?), but IMO we have lots of JAGs, and now 1 developmental guy.  Mike Mitchell could take this need down from 2 DB to 1 DB, but even there, we didn't really get a bona fide CB.  Some were still around R3-4.

DL and LB were outstanding IMO.  And Tuitt should help Shazier (and Jones) by giving the Steelers that big bodied end we need.

WR/TE:  Inc.
DB:  Mitchell (C), Shaq (F).  Not saying Shaq won't be good, but he just has way too many questions.
DL & LB:  A+

Next year at the very least we're going to need CB early.  Unless Antwon Blake is the new Deshea Townshend and Shaq is the new Ike.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: