Looking at this again, there are troubling signs. It's not just about being over the cap, which is bad enough on the heels of 8-8 and 8-8: check out the % of money invested in your top 10 players. Steelers are at 79%, Cowboys 74%; most of the rest are ~50%, meaning they not only spread the wealth, but aren't killed if one of their top 10 earners is injured, or has age push him over a cliff. Bears and Rams are only other teams >70%.
Top 10 in Steelers country includes notable question marks, if not outright head-scratchers:
2. Woodley, $13.6M - way overpaid, off-season dedication to the Bettis program, ROI v. Worilds not favorable. Huge dead money ding if cut ($14.2M, split over 2 years post 6/1).
3. Ike, $11.9M - Obviously, needs to take a large cut or be cut.
5. Troy, $10.9M - Willing to restructure?
8. Levi Brown, $6.3M - Capt. Obvious says the ax is soon to fall.
9. Maurkice, $5.5M - Freak accident injury or no, cheaper options exist.2015 looks gutted.