Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 24, 2014 at 22:12 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 Combine notes  (Read 3899 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2014 at 12:30 »

Yeah, hard to say what the meetings tell us. 

WRT the DEs, Cam Heyward come out of OSU at 6'5" and 294#, so length does seem to have relevance.  Only workout stat I could find for him was 30" VJ, forget if he was injured or something.  So difficult to compare measurables.

Agree with your assessment of Nix, and relative value of Dennard and Gilbert.  If Dennard is off (Lions?), I'd rather see if we can find CB value in R2/3, and get an offensive playmaker in R1.  Hence Ebron, or Evans, or suchlike.  Come in, bang bang, make big plays in the new NFL.

Also not convinced that the R1 safety value is there:  are Dix or Pryor ~ Polamalu?  Not seeing it, at all.

Would like to do player comparisons in this year's write-ups, so if anyone sees comparisons to the top players in the draft, drop them here.  I'd like to do something where I post the player's ceiling and floor, and for each post how he's a cross between two NFL players, past or present.  E.g.:

Mike Evans.  Ceiling:  Tony Gonzalez x Vincent Jackson.  Floor:  Mike Williams x Malcolm Kelly.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2014 at 17:20 »

OK, Justin Gilbert repped 22 x 225#.  More than Dennard (15), though that's hardly my benchmark for DBs, but worth noting: 

*1 more than Jadeveon Clowney (21).
*5 more than Michael Sam (17).
*7 more than DE/OLB Anthony Barr (15).

Plenty of other notables who lifted fewer, among the F7 of this class.  Not always a condemnation of skill set, but maybe an indication of dedication, especially to overall training regimens.  I had thought Gilbert might me a bit reedy and lifts would show that.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2014 at 17:30 »

Speaking of Evans, Wexell reporting:

*No surprise, #Steelers to meet with CB Justin Gilbert tonight. He thinks he might run a 4.2 Tuesday.

And:

*Fla. State free safety Terrence Brooks, who picked off 2 vs. Pitt and dropped 2 others, has met with the #Steelers.

If Gilbert runs a 4.2 I will shit you each monogrammed fucking platinum cufflinks.  Brooks looks like a R4 guy to me; more than JAG?  Hard to say. 

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2014 at 06:59 »

BTW, on Gilbert v. others on reps - save the arm length argument.  Clowney has 34 1'2" arms, which we can agree are long.  But Hageman has 34 1/4" arms and did 32 reps.  And Gilbert has 33 1/8" arms, among the very longest in the DB set.

So the combine has reaffirmed that Clowney has some talent, in spots, namely speed and leverage, but has deficiencies, in dedication and probably strength at the POA.  Gilbert probably lives by his game tape but doesn't lose for showing dedication in the weight room - helpful at the LOS for jamming strong, taller receivers (if he plays in such a scheme), or at least functional strength in bringing them down.  Barr, I think some of the same notes apply as to Clowney - inconsistent, disappeared for stretches, fast but not necessarily dominant at the POA, a sloppy von Miller wannabe.  Didn't have Clowney in my top 15 (questionable motor) and Barr's coming off.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2014 at 09:51 »

Another meeting:

WR Jalen Saunders (Okla.): another Sooner of (IMO) fringe value, late rounder only.  165# is about how much snot I leave in a tissue, I don't care if he returns kicks and is related to Webster Slaughter, I doubt he can stay healthy in the bigs for long.  So, whatever.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2014 at 10:22 »

I'm now seeing Gilbert credited with 20 - not sure if the early reporting was wrong, or if they took a couple away for not locking out or something.  I have yet to see the DB combine footage.

Still, the point remains.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #16 on: Feb 26, 2014 at 06:50 »

S Terrence Brooks (FSU): I'll let the article show his stuff.  Not a guy I've looked at a lot.

jonzr
Asst. VP, Jonzring
Global Moderator
Old School Member

Have a cup o' joe.

« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2014 at 09:46 »

S Terrence Brooks (FSU): I'll let the article show his stuff.  Not a guy I've looked at a lot.

I like that write-up, sounds like he'd be a good guy to have in the secondary.  It would be nice to see a youth movement back there.

"I like David Bowie, he was always my favorite member of Tin Machine."
- Rodney Anonymous

It's a Steeler Nation
Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2014 at 10:15 »

ESPN had a write-up about Brooks too.  Seems like an intriguing guy.  Love the fact that he's a converted corner.

Downside of a future of him and Shamarko is their size limitations. 
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #19 on: Feb 26, 2014 at 12:17 »

Colt Lyerla: DND, no how, no way.  If not for the coke business, then because of his tin foil hat:  "“The parents of the kids that supposedly died in the sandy hook situation are liars,” Lyerla tweeted and later deleted."

Fuck.  You.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: