Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Jul 30, 2014 at 14:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 [16] 17   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2014 Draft  (Read 10579 times)
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #150 on: May 12, 2014 at 15:07 »

McCullers is such a huge project, and we know how those generally pan out.

But man, WHAT a project! Worth a late-round flyer IMO.

Isn't that the case for pretty much all Day Three picks?

Overall, they did a good job from start to finish.  Really didn't have a "WTF?" pick.  Short term grading would have to be in the A-/B+ range.  Hopefully, they can grab a CB off the post 6/1 cap casualty junkpile for a reasonable 1 year deal.

Yeah, hope so.

Wasn't sure why they took Zumwalt with the Shazier pick in hand, could have gotten a CB then, but their list, their call, their money.

I think Shazier and Tuitt can start and make a difference right away.  Archer too if he wins the KR spot and maybe some COP carries.  Will be a while for the R3 guys, if at all.  But some real interesting traits with them.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #151 on: May 12, 2014 at 19:58 »

BTW, Browns traded back from Watkins to Gilbert.  Dumbfucks.  Gordon is out for the year, they have no receivers, and took no receivers in the draft for Manziel.

Manziel and Watkins would have been a solid core.

As it is, the Browns cannot help fucking up.

That is all.

msdmnr2002
Old School Member

« Reply #152 on: May 12, 2014 at 20:23 »

As it is, the Browns cannot help fucking up.

Browns found a moldy copy of the Cavs playbook when LeBron was still there.

1.  Hand ball to LeBron.
2.  Everyone else get out of the way.

Figure if it worked for them, should work with Manziel.  Looking forward to the Steelers showing them that is not the case.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #153 on: May 15, 2014 at 20:37 »

NFL channel (212) is doing a feature on Sammy Watkins, Anthony Barr, and Louis Nix.

Interesting that the Steelers took M. Bryant, J. Zumwalt, and S. Tuitt from those some schools.  Interesting to me at least.  We took the lesser talents, except perhaps Tuitt over Nix, who fell to R3.  That seemed low for Nix, but IMO Tuitt > Nix.

TwistedLemon

« Reply #154 on: May 16, 2014 at 07:21 »

Typed up a little review of each pick, my shitty opinion, what players were drafted between our selection and the next that I had some interest in........then somehow hit something and lost it without posting.  twice.

Screw it, overall, I like the draft a lot.  Only wish we had another CB or 2 added in somewhere, but not much even in UDFA

"My reality check bounced"
kluisi61
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2014 at 12:31 »

Typed up a little review of each pick, my shitty opinion, what players were drafted between our selection and the next that I had some interest in........then somehow hit something and lost it without posting.  twice.

Screw it, overall, I like the draft a lot.  Only wish we had another CB or 2 added in somewhere, but not much even in UDFA

You sure it wasn't penso, I heard he has a problem with draft writeups.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

OK Chris. Now that we have practiced kissing and cuddling, we'll practice eating out...at a fancy restaurant.

- Lois Griffin

-----------------

Goal Line Blitz - Football player and team simulator...Very Fun.

Fallen Sword - MMORPG that is very fun. No ads and it's free.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2014 at 15:56 »

Wasn't happy about the lack of CB depth either, but there is an interesting observation to be made here.  Tomlin's kicked the tires on guys like Demarcus Van Dyke (plus speed, developmental) so far with mixed results.  But speed was the theme of this year's draft (and, in the case of Tuitt, Bryant, and McCullers - SIZE).

So if we improve the front 7 and get more 4-man pass rush, some TFL and blitzes up the middle with Shaz, and hopefully improved OLB play (Jarbust, I'm talking about you, son), then that will help the DBs tremendously. 

At first glance, our CBs are a bunch of smurfs.  But if we are getting pressure, is size the best thing to have in the secondary or is speed?  (Sure, both, but that's not an easy combo to nail down.  Steelers apparently liked a guy R1 with that combo in Justin Gilbert, but when he went off the board they preferred Shaz to Dennard.) 

Among starters and guys who saw regular action, here are the size and speed profiles (fastest to slowest):

Ike Taylor, 6'2", 4.25
Shamarko Thomas, 5'9", 4.37 (nickel)
William Gay, 5'10", 4.48 Pro Day (sub packages)
Cortez Allen, 6'0", 4.50

Even as poorly as Ike played in 2013, he still retains some speed.  Just made some bad decisions.  Moving forward, we need another speed guy.  Not that Allen and Gay have bad speed, but IMO we need someone who can match speed with speed as a starter.  Last year's leftovers, our 2014 FA CB, and the 2014 draft pick CB have the following mix (CB and "DB"):

Antwon Blake, 5'9", 4.32 Pro Day
Brice McCain, 5'9", 4.33 Pro Day
Isaiah Green, 5'10" 4.39 Pro Day
Shaquille Richardson, 6'0", 4.43 Pro Day
Ross Ventrone, 5'8", 4.48 Pro Day (DB)
Devin Smith, 5'11", 4.49 Pro Day (DB)

Lots of speed.  No one over 4.50, and three guys sub-4.4.  Shaq has the best mix of size to speed.  But it's clear which way the team is trending.

We also brought in 5 UDFAs for workouts, all listed as CB or FS/DB, who all ran in the 4.6 range.  I have to think our interest with them is basically to see if we can add a couple of camp bodies.

So are zippy Smurfs the answer for our secondary?

pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #157 on: May 16, 2014 at 16:34 »

Little known piece of trivia:  there was originally a Zippy Smurf, but pinheads didn't trend well in the early 80's, so they axed the character. 

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #158 on: May 16, 2014 at 22:12 »

What did they axe him, pens?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014 at 22:14 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
pensodyssey
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #159 on: May 16, 2014 at 22:13 »

They axed him to leave the show.

Godammit, I hate when I have to finish my own jokes.  This would never happen if this place wasn't such a ghost town.

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Pages: 1 ... 15 [16] 17   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: