Maximum Grilled Steelers Forum
Oct 21, 2014 at 05:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Forum   Help Calendar Media Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NFL-wide 1st round breakdown.  (Read 4476 times)
pensodyssey
Halfsharkalligator halfman.
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« on: May 08, 2014 at 23:38 »

Because there's nothing better to do in Goodell's NFL.

Best Pick:
St. Louis, Aaron Donald.

Why?  Because, all Pitterness aside, I believe Donald is the best football player in the draft.  Plus when is the last time the Rams were known for their toughness up front?  When Merlin Olsen and Rosey Grier were there?  Those guys are like, 15 years younger than Finny.

Honorable Mention: Atlanta, Jake Matthews; Cleveland, Justin Gilbert; Green Bay, Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix.

Worst Pick:
New England, Dominique Easley

Why?  Look, I'm not gonna harp on the injury thing, that's been well documented.  But the fact is Easley could well have lasted into deep in the second round, and if not a bunch of guys at DT would have been there, including Jernigan.  We know that Belichick has absolutely no concern for his team's off-field activities (Hernandez' pending life sentence, Beardy's wardrobe, Randy Moss' s mooning history) so he coulda had Marqise Lee (for example) and got his DT later.  But, Belichick looks at anyone not named Beardy as a disposable asset anyway, so… .

Other sucky picks: Jacksonville, Blake Bortles; Detroit, Eric Ebron; Denver, Bradley Roby.

Steelers' Pick:
Ryan Shazier

Anyone who's reading this has already seen my initial reaction to this pick-- I was underwhelmed-- so I won't rehash it.  I wanted a CB, and Dennard looked like a viable choice to me.  But I'm not an expert n'at.  Instead, I want to tell a story.  It's a simple tale of how I got bored between picks and posts this evening, and so I went back and reread an old thread, the 2007 draft thread.  It's the longest thread in MGS history by some 200 posts, way ahead of the 2009 Chargers playoff game.

Just to refresh your memories, that was the draft when we should have had Revis (the NYJs swooped in and assfucked us at the last second) and so we took Timmons. In that thread I lobbied hard for Amobi Okoye and some guy named Branch.  I can't remember who the hell that is now, maybe because I also got mugged that year.  Or I think it was that year, but the mugging might have been the year before, or the year after.  Incidentally AJ looks like a genius in that thread for pushing hard for Lynch, though again, equating AJ and genius might be another after-effect of getting clubbed over the head.  

I was wrong about Timmons.  It's weird to think how young he is in football years, especially compared to Revis, whose time seems to have come and gone.  

Who I woulda took: Darqueze Dennard (went 24th to the Bungholes)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014 at 01:46 by pensodyssey » Logged

A shabby Charlie Brown.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014 at 06:47 »

Surprised that my boy Bucannon went R1.  I had a R1 grade on him, but NO other draft turds did.  Was hoping that somehow Verrett might slide to R2.  Oh well.

Lots of good players on the board for our R2 and R3C.

Out of my mind on Saturday night...
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014 at 06:51 »

Either ND DE/DT, Rashede or a WR like Latimer

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
SCacalaki
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014 at 07:15 »

And leaning toward Tuitt than Nix due to a decreased reliance on  34 NT

Words to live by:  "Dick LeBeau is Dick LeBeau," Tomlin said. "Everybody knows Dick."
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014 at 09:07 »

So, we pick 14th in R2.

And IMO there are easily 14 guys worthy of taking.

CB: Philip Gaines, Rice
CB/FS: Terrance Brooks, FSU
DE:  Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame; Rashede Hagemann, Minnesota
NT:  Louis Nix, Notre Dame
OL:  Joel Bitonio, Colorado
OLB: Carl Bradford, Arizona St.; Demarcus Lawrence, Boise St.; Kyle Van Noy, BYU; Jeremiah Attaochu, Georgia Tech
WR: Marqise Lee, USC; Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt; Davante Adams, Fresno St.; Donte Moncrief, Mississippi; Allen Robinson, Penn State; Cody Latimer, Indiana; Jarvis Landry, LSU
TE: Troy Niklas, Notre Dame

Not a fan of the other TEs (Amaro, ASF); CB is depleted for a while, so unless Gaines is there I doubt we go CB; very good value at DE if they last, and same with NT; huge value cluster at WR; like the OLBs, but a 1-2 draft of ILB-OLB would be a headscratcher.

Wouldn't mind a trade back to get a R4 in the mix, but if we stay put odds are good WR is the call.  Brooks is an interesting player.  DE/NT wouldn't be a bad gambit, but IMO there are guys R3 and later who could be better value at DE.

So my ranking right now would be: 

1. Lee
2. Tuitt
3. Hagemann
4. Bitonio
5. Matthews
6. Adams
7. Moncrief
8. Robinson
9. Gaines
10. Nix
11. Latimer
12. Landry
13. Niklas
14. Brooks

And then the OLBs.

It's certainly a flexible ranking though.

Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014 at 09:27 »

BTW, Shaz didn't run at the combine, but clocked a 4.38 at his pro day.  Even if that translates to mid-4.4 combine speed, holy fuck is this cat fast.  Faster than most WRs, CBs, you name it.

Repped a respectable 25, jumped an outstanding 42" vertical, and was just short of 11" broad jump.  So, a 77 KEI.  Insane.  The guy's explosive, an every down ILB, and he added 15# of muscle without losing any speed.  That's the only knock, that he's not thick enough as a LB.  Couple years in the program, no worries.  Appears to be smart, enough to wear the special helmet, and a good citizen.  Liked him better than Mosley, who has been variously injured and is nowhere near as fast.  Will be interesting to compare their careers, here and in Balty.

Definitely don't see as many broken plays, and IMO Shaz can cover the receivers if asked to drop.  Might need help with bigger RBs, but will get there first.

Compare Kuechly and Shazier.  Kuechly is 1" taller and about 10# heavier when drafted.  Shaz ran faster (4.38 to 4.52), jumped higher (42" to 38.5).

Kuechly had an astounding 299 solo tackles and 532 total tackles, with 35.5 TFL; Shaz had "only" 210 solos and 317 total, but 44.5 TFL.  Kuechly 7 INTs, Shaz 1. 

Of course, it's worth noting that Kuechly played 1 year OLB, then 2 ILB, whereas Shaz played all 3 at OLB. 

This is gonna be fun.

Merman1983
Old School Member

Master of the figure-four leglock

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014 at 09:34 »

So if they can land Tuitt, Hagemann, or Nix, provided Mitchell is the upgrade we think he can be, provided Shamarko and Jarbust take leaps forward, provided they actually play the rookies from day one...

Wow, talk about a makeover on defense.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014 at 09:55 »

But we're OLD on defense, don't forget.

aj_law
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014 at 11:27 »

Hard to argue with Donald as one of the better picks.  Lewan to Tits at 1.11 is a solid selection.  And, agree that Dix to GB deserves honorable mention as does Dennard to the Kitties at 1.24, IMO; these two get bonus points for being late(r) selections.

Worst?  Dunno.  Vikings trading up for Bridgewater?  Dude gonna be a flop.

Don't sleep on Cleveland.  Gilbert.  Manziel.  Will probably snag Marqise Lee in R2.  Not too shabby.

Compare Kuechly and Shazier.  Kuechly is 1" taller and about 10# heavier when drafted.  Shaz ran faster (4.38 to 4.52), jumped higher (42" to 38.5).

Kuechly had an astounding 299 solo tackles and 532 total tackles, with 35.5 TFL; Shaz had "only" 210 solos and 317 total, but 44.5 TFL.  Kuechly 7 INTs, Shaz 1. 

Of course, it's worth noting that Kuechly played 1 year OLB, then 2 ILB, whereas Shaz played all 3 at OLB. 

This is gonna be fun.

Kuechly has better football instincts, tho.  Shazier seems to be more of a see it and use those sick measureables to react kinda player.

For R2 targets:

Lee (obv...won't be there though)
Tuitt
Matthews
Hageman
Nix
Moncrief
Gaines

We suck because our drafts have been THE SUCK.
Finnegans Wake
Global Moderator
Old School Member

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014 at 21:26 »

1. 2.39 Jax Lee
2. 2.46 Pitt!!! Tuitt
3. 2.37 Atlanta Hagemann
4. 2.35 Cleve Bitonio
5. 2.42 Philly Matthews
6. 2.53 GB Adams
7. 3.90 Indy Moncrief
8. 2.62 Jax Robinson
9. 3.87 KC Gaines
10. 3.83 Houston Nix
11. 2.56 Denver Latimer
12. 2.63 Miami Landry
13. 2.52 Arizona Niklas
14. 3.79 Baltimore Brooks

And then the OLBs: Carl Bradford, Arizona St.; 2.34 Dallas Demarcus Lawrence, Boise St.; 2.40 Detroit Kyle Van Noy, BYU; 2.50 Sandy Eggo Jeremiah Attaochu, Georgia Tech
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014 at 21:49 by Finnegans Wake » Logged

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: