Beat the Heat! That’s a phrase with a double meaning now in Dallas. What a ride these playoffs have been. From such low expectations this season after the debacle of 2006 and playoff failure after failure from the loss to 8th seed Golden State the following season to the San Antonio loss in 2010.
A few random thoughts:
- Dallas gets their first double-digit lead of the series.
- Jason Kidd had to come back to Dallas to win a title.
- Peja Stojakovic finally gets a ring.
- Dirk Nowitzki, MVP. Started off cold (1-12), ended with double-double (21-11).
- Unfortunate post-game quote: “Jason Kidd’s DNA is all over this title.” -Mark Jackson
- Now LeBron James decides to score a few points?
From 88-73 with 6 minutes left in the fourth quarter of game two, down 1-0 in the series, the Dallas Mavericks flipped a switch and took control.
This series was about a Mavericks team rather than a Heat dream team. From that fateful fourth quarter in game two Dallas simply outplayed Miami. This was about a smarter and more cohesive team imposing their will on another. The Mavericks refused to lose. And they are now champions.